Something Awful Reviews Come See Me Tonight

SA has posted a funny and surprisingly positive review of CSMN. http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1506

I`ll have to see about getting this game when I get back in America in December.

Why is it I get paranoid whenever Something Awful does a positive review?

Hmmm… That is the first time they said ANYTHING is positive or good…??? Are pigs flying??? Did Hell freeze?? I like the format and layout of thier review though.

im actually amased… if anything scores below -200 it would prolly be a +80 or +90 to a normal fan…

(and by below i mean -0 through -199)

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 06-18-2003).]

Ok, that was the most utterly hilarious thing I think I’ve ever read in my life… I can’t help but continue laughing every time I so much as glance at a line or two…

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Why is it I get paranoid whenever Something Awful does a positive review?

Tokimeki Check-In actually got a decent review too.

The review for Horny Bunnies was postively glowing (only -18!!!) Hehe, I always read these reviews though… I can’t help it, they’re too funny…

I can’t help thinking they got a pirate version though. No one is eight in the game. Unless they didn’t read the manual.

quote:
Originally posted by Skyrocket:
Tokimeki Check-In actually got a decent review too.

I know, and that bothers me as well. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Bah. That they didn’t review Kana or EVE and considering their reviews on “Private Nurse” (“This game has so little going for it that it almost pains me to say anything positive. There was no rape nor was there any incest or even really underage sex. Basically there was so little sex I’m not even sure I understand why it was included. The game is monotonous beyond belief.”) says it all…
Of course, they’re just there to actually flame what they say they’re reviewing, but, even considering that, their opinions has as much value as the scores they’re giving…
(OTOH, it may reflect, as far as bishoujo games are concerned, the general Western opinion: if it doesn’t have rape or incest or underage sex or at least profusion of sex events, it’s not good… )

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
Bah. That they didn't review Kana or EVE and considering their reviews on "Private Nurse" ("This game has so little going for it that it almost pains me to say anything positive. There was no rape nor was there any incest or even really underage sex. Basically there was so little sex I'm not even sure I understand why it was included. The game is monotonous beyond belief.") says it all...
Of course, they're just there to actually flame what they say they're reviewing, but, even considering that, their opinions has as much value as the scores they're giving...
(OTOH, it may reflect, as far as bishoujo games are concerned, the general Western opinion: if it doesn't have rape or incest or underage sex or at least profusion of sex events, it's not good... :D)

I hate to rain on your parade here, Olf, because you're having so much fun ripping on somethingawful.com...but I really do have to point out that he was saying that it was a GOOD thing there wasn't any kind of objectionable material in Private Nurse...he was saying "this game sucks so much I hate to have to say anything good about it, but I do have to be 'fair' and say that ...", which isn't exactly what you appear to have thought he meant.

*goes off to devour some pizza*

Maybe I should post the link to the game company’s BBS along with translations for our Japanese friends to read since most people here find the flames so funny. I’m sure they’re also interested in knowing what the most representative reviews in the foreign market(i.e. Something Awful) are saying about their games.

I hardly would call SomethingAwful representative… it’s just a humorous site, don’t take it so seriously…

I find the more stupid things they say the more people actually like the games. I remember in one old review that they said they had so many inquires about the games and wanted more reviews. Most people who visit their site knows that they tend to trash popular stuff or say something that they know is negative. (but in funny way) The fact they actually take notice the genre if bloody amazing to me.

PS: Anyone that takes a satire site seriously has some issues anyway. Laugh it up. Hopefully more people take noticed to a small market.

PPS: If the bad reviews were from IGN or Gamespot, then there is a problem.

I’d agree with Hogi Bear. Pretty much everyone who regularly visit Something Awful fully know that it is a parody/starical game review site. Even those that don’t, are quickly told that Something Awful is a parody site. As such, I wouldn’t really worry about a ‘bad’ review from Something Awful. It would be like The Onion giving a movie a ‘bad’ review. It’s satire.

In fact… to have Something Awful actually review some of the bishoujo games might be seen as a good thing too.

Anyway, a poor, and mis-informed review on IGN or GamePro would be considerably more dangerous.

quote:
Originally posted by Hogi Bear:
(...)
PS: Anyone that takes a satire site seriously has some issues anyway. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/redface.gif[/img] Laugh it up. Hopefully more people take noticed to a small market.

There are good satires and bad ones. SA sometimes do good ones (I recall I laughed hard at their "review" of StarWars or LoTR), but they also sometimes made their satire not fun or provocative without being subtle. And I just don't like those...