Something Awful Reviews CRC

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1886

It’s actually a pretty decent review.

I wonder what caused his problem with the text, one of the linked screenshots shows how hideous it is. He seems to assume that’s just the way it’s supposed to be, sadly (it isn’t on my copy, at least).

Interestingly, he mentions the classy packaging, meaning he definately has an original copy. Call me a cynic, but I don’t think he buys the games. My theory is that Peter sends him a copy, grits his teeth and recites over and over “all publicity is good publicity!”

Usually, the text problems are caused by the game requesting a font with the Japanese character set; when one isn’t found, Windows starts searching ALL fonts for the closest match, and often brings up horrible matches. I had to patch TCI!, XC1, and True Love on my system to fix this problem.

------------------
Ugh, I just called myself unreliable again.

quote:
Originally posted by Interzone:
Interestingly, he mentions the classy packaging, meaning he definately has an original copy. Call me a cynic, but I don't think he buys the games. My theory is that Peter sends him a copy, grits his teeth and recites over and over "all publicity is good publicity!" [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Well seeing the picture on the peachprincess page I could also call it classy even if i didn't have it.
But I'm wondering if this is really good publicity...I mean he often has problems only HE has (or only few because it's easy to fix) and mentions them as massive fault caused by incompetence of the programmer. Well that's the impression I get.

I agree. The guy is a bozo who shouldn’t be allowed to do game reviews until he learns how to manage the installations. Those who are familiar with Something Awful may take these reviews as parody, but it doesn’t seem that’s how they’re presented. He gives the appearance of doing a serious review, complete with a detailed description of gameplay, screenshots and grading system. Anyone who wanders into the site without knowing what it’s about and not being able to find an dissenting opinion is likely to get a bad impression. It’s Peter’s call as far as using bad reviews for publicity. I’m just glad I got the true story here.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
Anyone who wanders into the site without knowing what it's about and not being able to find an dissenting opinion is likely to get a bad impression.

That may be more effective than masses of people never ever stumbling across any information about bishojo games and dying without ever realizing they existed. SA is likely read by thousands of people, and if even a small percentage of them decide not to write off bishojo games and instead endeavour to discover more about them - which they can do by clicking the link to J-List, who actually sponsor the site - that is a potentially large number of sales. I agree its not an ideal way to spread the word, but in a sick, twisted way it could be beneficial.

[This message has been edited by Interzone (edited 01-02-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Interzone:
SA is likely read by thousands of people, and if even a small percentage of them decide not to write off bishojo games and instead endeavour to discover more about them - which they can do by clicking the link to J-List, who actually sponsor the site - that is a potentially large number of sales. I agree its not an ideal way to spread the word, but in a sick, twisted way it could be beneficial.

[This message has been edited by Interzone (edited 01-02-2004).]

I didn't even notice that they sponsor him, maybe because i just do not visit somethingawful myself, only already three times clicked on links reviews but i don't really care for the rest of his page. Well now it makes perfect sense that he's also getting covered. Fine, if it's good for business than good for the comapies. It's not as if I'd care what he writes anyways, he may call it awful, i wouldn't even care if everybody called it awful.
If I can honestly think that why i'm doing isn't really awful then I don't care what others say.
It's okay he says his oppinion, that's well everybody can say his/her opinions, that's fine. That is, if this really is opinion. Many people suspect he actually likes it and well...it does really seem this way. I think I'd feel stupid writing a review that is absolutely not my opinion. And this person honestly describes every problem that can occur. Looking at the review of crc..well let's see... the thing with the windows that overlay, well okay as for my resolution the windows even seemed to small. No overlays here, i wonder if this his real resolution? Without intending to assume things that aren't real, he might also have set it especially to this for taking the screenshot. As for his text problems, well aiharasama already seemed to have mentioned it...and it seems easily fixable. Well at least when having the japanese languages installed it seems to be no problem, encountered absolutely no problem even with German unicode. And the next thing he mentioned, the sentence being cut, well i dunno but i assume it's a problem with codecs. When i played it a while ago it was completely fine for me. Well when i played it just recently it also seems to have that problem. The only major change to my system was that I, for playing the translated maw2 opening movie, installed a codec pack, that's probably the cause. It was the same for brave soul, too wasn't it, that he somehow had all problems one could have, maybe he's just unlucky? Or maybe he has experience with getting as much problems as possible, maybe even looking for them and asking around if anybody has encountered one.

[This message has been edited by allamala (edited 01-02-2004).]