Something Awful Reviews Virgin Roster

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2041

I’m witht the SA guy on this one. I’m stying the hell away from this game.

Yeah, this has been discussed a few times and I think many of us agree it is not the ideal game type to bring over if you are trying to attract ‘the masses’ to Bishoujo gaming.

I was waiting for Something Awful’s review of this. I thought he would crack down the game more… But still, it’s a ‘good review’.

I agree with it too.

I thought he went pretty easy on this considering the ratings he gave to Tsuki and Chain (that was undeserved).

Somehow it wasn’t as harsh as I imagined it would be. Perhaps Zack has become desensitized to all that “rambunctuous cuddling”. Heh, gold.

[This message has been edited by Interzone (edited 03-20-2004).]

Bah… what a fuss about nothing… after all, it’s just a game! If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it! All of you agree about this? Okay. If there’s no people to buy, no more of them will follow. Do as you like.

PS Personally i liked it. Why? Because it’s too much cruel and unreal to be true… Come on guys, just think he doesn’t ever have to go into a jail…

Now this has been discussed before, but you are right, if you don’t like it don’t buy it, however the monkey wrench in this is it is a Bishoujo and there are few enough of those coming across as it is, that people might be tempted to support the industry through any game that coems over. I am not saying I would buy this game and have not in fact, but just put out what others of said in the past that I see where htey are coming from in terms of not liking this game but perhaps buying it anyway and this is all I will say on this matter.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 03-20-2004).]

I’m a clueless newbie and I need to ask. Why didn’t this zack review 2 of the better games, Kana Imouto and Crescendo? Yet he reviews and gives free publicity to rape games such as this one. Is this a good thing? His reviews seem to attract much attention.

quote:
Originally posted by gaogao:
I'm a clueless newbie and I need to ask. Why didn't this zack review 2 of the better games, Kana Imouto and Crescendo? Yet he reviews and gives free publicity to rape games such as this one. Is this a good thing? His reviews seem to attract much attention.

The agenda of Something Awful isn't to inform, it's to amuse. Therefore the reviews are often not accurate and tend to focus on the negative aspects. Zack would probably find much less piss-take milage in the the games you mention, (although he surely would find something) hence he seems goes for the easier targets. My theory anyway, don't take it as gospel [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

If you look at this screen capture from his Casual Romance Club review you'll notice the Crescendo icon sitting at the bottom of his desktop. Maybe, somewhere in my deepest heart, I still believe he'll review it...

Aww, that girl’s cute! :slight_smile:
And the Crescendo icon is cute too.
Too bad I’ll never play Casual Romance Club… :’(
It’s for Win98 and up and you need a DVD drive.
I have Win95 OSR2 and no DVD drive… I’m screwed.
Bishoujo games are supposed to work on older PCs! CRC contradicts this with needing the DVD drive. :’(

Actually I think DVD is a one of the newer trends, and that is something that is not to be mocked but accepted I think as perhaps a more expansive change. If they do it right someday, it can basically be an anime where it reaches a point stops and has a “You Make The Call” moment on how to proceed.

I think they will have an easier time selling Bishoujo games that run off of PC but at the same time I think that DVD idea has a lof of possibilities as well as limitations as do PC games.

man are there any regular normal endings to this shit?

why are there some games Zack doesn’t review that have been around a while. Where’s the justice?

and whats up with all this bitchin about Virgin Roster? If you don’t like it then thats okay but don’t force that belief on others. I do agree its a bad game in terms of image of the industry and it might make ppl stay away from this form of gaming but hey theres gotta be ppl who like this if they came out with it when they had lots of other choices

quote:
If you want new games you need a new computer sadly, but it is not as bad as the console gaming market where you need a console every 3 years or so.

That's true for bishoujo games, but if we're talking games in general, you are off worse with a PC. You have to upgrade your PC at least every three months to be able to play the newest games. With consoles, it's 5 years.

[This message has been edited by Benoit (edited 03-22-2004).]

Hey does anyone know any other new formats ofr Bishoujo games beside whats the read, click and pick style games? I forgot which forum I read this, but I like the idea of that soon Bishoujo games are gonna be like a movie style thing and you just sit back and watch and then choose. Man that sounds really cool

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
You have to upgrade your PC at least every three months to be able to play the newest games. With consoles, it's 5 years.

That isn't true unless your PC is bottom of the range when you buy it. Graphics card refreshes only happen roughly every six months, with a much larger gaps between generations. CPU speed increases have also slowed. Games can only be developed on the fastest hardware available at the time. With typically slow adoption of new graphics features in pc games, a good pc will last about 2 years before games start to become unplayable.

But that would mean that when you buy your PC, it has to be the best of the best, which will hurt your wallet very badly.

And my point still stands. Consoles last longer.

Course now with HD tv and progressive displays the new consoles will have better picture quality than before.

As for PCs usually if you buy a semi decent system your good for at least a couple of years as far as games go and if your semi technical you can just upgrade your cpu and graphics card instead of buying a new system. I usually end up upgrading my stuff every 18 months or so.

Then take a Dolby installation.

quote:
PC’s are just reaching the level of standard sound and graphics and a half stable OS. Development in PC’s is slowing down as well
so other than having to buy a #$%! OS I don’t think PC’s will be needed to upgrade unless you need high speed internet access.

I very much doubt that. I study Computer Science and the end of all the CPU and graphic cards shit is not in sight. At least not before Micro$oft stop dominating the industry.

It has been proven for years that to play games, the console is the best choice. Where do you think bishoujo games originated, by the way? On a console.

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
But it took the JAPANESE to build real consoles. Here in the USA all we had were C-64's, and CoCo's. BTW Disney killed all hopes of any adult games in America too.
Serria On-line that made 'Leasure suit larry
' had to drop adult games so they could market 'disney stuff'. The deal fell through but adult games were canned for good.

Except of course for the new Leisure Suit Larry game in the works.