Song of Saya comic listed

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I guess it does mean that there will be an English release of Saya no Uta:

http://forbiddenplanet.com/49227-song-of-saya-1/

I’m interested in it, though I am a bit leery of IDW as a publisher. The artist’s blog, also, seems to be at:

http://yairherrera.blogspot.com/

Well a comic adaptation is miles apart from a translated game, but one can hope.

I think it’s likely that Saya no Uta (the game) will be one of the upcoming announcements. I believe Nitro+ said in the past that they were very interested in promoting the franchise overseas, in all its forms. And if it becomes apparent that no, it’s not going to be localized, then there’s always the fan patch. In the case that JAST doesn’t have plans to localize it eventually, I’d hope they’d announce it so the fan patch could resume distribution.

Great news. Even though the American editions probably aren’t as good, I would like to see more stuff like this.

Unless JAST releases Saya with the same translation as the patch (or better) and has no censorship, I probably won’t care whether they release it or not. If it’s like their KK release, I won’t be getting it.

That’s pretty interesting. I’d like to play the game before reading any other adaptations of it, though, that always seems more fun.

To be honest, I’m not too hopeful of this being good.
Even with just that short description I can say that final product will end very different from the Japanese original. I have no idea why they changed Fuminori into Josh, or made him into a doctor. And it looks like the adaption will be standard “deal with devil” thing.

…I’ll still buy it anyway.

I guess it would be more profitable to release VNs that have not already been fan translated…

Same here.
I can already see a problem on the jacket : Saya is not a loli…

But I’ll still buy it (Shame on me… just because I’m a huge Saya no uta fan)

This is simply a localization of a manga right? What the hell is up with that cover? Looks like some Western bastardization.

I don’t think so… It’s to cheap to be a manga. I think it’s an american comic.

In that case, this seems more like little more than a glorified fanfic than an “adaptation”. The art style is half of what defines a visual novel. There’s no need to change that going from game to “comic”. They’ve completely ditched the moe element and replaced it with something else. Sounds like they’ve rewritten the story too in their bid to appeal to a different audience.

Doesn’t sound like Saya no Uta to me. Seems like a cheap American knockoff.

That’s the point of the project. It’s an American comic adaptation, much like a Hollywood remake of a foreign movie. JAST USA actually spoke of this comic a few months ago.

NitroPlus is interested in bringing its properties overseas, but they aren’t limiting themselves to games. Regarding anime, they have Blassreiter and Phantom (both believed to have been created with overseas viewers in mind, hence the choices of animation studios that’re unpopular in Japan but successful in America). The Song of Saya project is just another area of development they’re experimenting with.

So far, only the comic has been announced, so I wouldn’t take this as a sign that they’ll release the eroge.

I wouldn’t immediately assume that myself. I mean, that’s like saying an anime doesn’t have a chance of having a profitable R1 release if it’s already been fansubbed.

The distribution of the fan patch has pretty much stopped as a result of JAST’s deal with Nitro+, and it was never really that widely distributed outside of a very niche group in the first place, so there wouldn’t be that much “competition” to take away from JAST’s sales. An official release could mean that it can be marketed better and sold to a wider group of people, especially those who never knew about the fan patch to begin with. Also, the patch requires the original $100+ game to already be purchased by the user–Even if people wanted to play the game with the fan-translation patch, the cost of importing the game would probably be too prohibitive of an option to serve as a solid alternative to buying an official localized release here. Besides, JAST could save time/money releasing this game by using the translation from the fan-patch for their release with the creator’s permission; that’s what Rockin’ Android did with their R1 release of Suguri.

I don’t think that the official release means that the game will be played by a wider group of people. Just look at vndb.org how many people played Saya no Uta already. It’s more than Princess Waltz, for example. I don’t consider this to be a very reliable statistic, but it’s telling something. And the cost of the original game is irrelevant here, I don’t think the percentage of the people using the translation patch with the original is very high.

Admittedly “almost guaranteed” was a bit of an overstatement. But, two points here. First, I think the VNDB results are highly skewed towards a very niche group of hardcore erogers. I would guess that the vast majority of JAST customers do not use VNDB, or even frequent such sites, while those that use fan translations are very likely to frequent such sites–they need places like that to keep up with what’s been fan translated.

Second, you make a very valid point. The vast majority of people using the translation patch are probably pirating the game, and therefore they’d probably pirate a localized version too. The few people who didn’t pirate the game are probably also the type of person that would buy a localized version just to support the market. Therefore, it’s probably safe to say that most of the potential lost sales would be coming from the group that pirate Japanese fan-translated games, but buy localized games, yet are not willing to buy a localized version of a game they pirated. The question is: just how significant is this group? I’d say “not very”.

Normally I’d agree that games with complete fan translations shouldn’t be localized. But as B173 pointed out, the circumstances here are a bit special: the fan translation was only freely distributed for around 6 months and therefore reached only a niche group of players, and the group that did it is now working with JAST. While the patch is still in “unofficial” circulation, it’s probably safe to say that only pirates are using it now.

Nitro+ has a lot of great games that need to be translated. I suppose it’s no big deal whether they decide to localize Saya no Uta or not. Like I said before, I just hope JAST USA lets us know if they have no plans to localize Saya no Uta. They’re not obligated to, but it’d be a nice gesture.

I was actually one of the people who pirated Saya when translation patch was released, but I’d be happy to buy localized version to support the industry. Why didn’t I buy the original Japanese one then?
It costs alot, and delivery prices are pretty huge too.

Most likely even the people who pirated the game to play it with translation patch would be happy to pay for quality release.

It does not cost a lot, and there is no delivery fee. (NSFW, dlsite)

Yes, your argument would apply to a lot of other eroges, but as a general point, I don’t want to hear it. Yes, eroge costs a lot. It’s an expensive hobby. You need to spend a lot of money that you could spend on other things to keep up with it. I know that. A lot of people here know that. So I don’t want to hear this sort of thing from you and I’d wager a lot of other people here don’t either.

I was actually looking Erogeshop’s price- Oh, what do you know. Recently there was that Nitro the Best thing so Saya’s price isn’t high at all anymore. Well, no use buying Japanese version anymore. I’ll be waiting for western release.

Anyway, even though I buy MangaGamer’s releases, if there’s both download version and physical copy available, I’d rather get physical copy.

According to archonia, it should be out tomorrow.
http://www.archonia.com/comicshop/en/ar … 0saya%201/

Can someone living in the US confirm ?

i was wondering why everytime i read about this Eroge it was like “hmmm i think i know it”… And well, today was an board Homerun hit.
i already own it <.<

I brought it like 6 or 7 years ago lol (the game i mean)…And i remember how short it is… really short…