Statego

Okay…I got Stratego to play with my son since I’ve loved the game for years when I was a kid.

I get the game, open it, and see – those nerf-herders have switched the numbering system, so that 10 is 1 (the strongest piece), 9 is 2 (the 2nd strongest piece), 3 now disams bombs instead of 8 and so on.

WTF? Why would anyone totally reverse the rules of a game like that? It handicapped me terribly…

From what I understand, it was supposed to make the ranking system easier for new players to pick up. But if someone has difficulty figuring out the numbers one through ten, I think understanding the ranking system is the least of their worries.

That was the biggest adjustment for me when I played my Nephew as well. I liked the old system better because the Marshall is your #1 piece. It signifies it’s importance.

That sucks!!! Are you sure it’s not just the J-version?

Made in DNA

quote:
Originally posted by Made in DNA:
That sucks!!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure it's not just the J-version?

Made in DNA

I was playing the English version with my Nephew and it's all @$$-backward.

------------------
"His last thought is wry, Not bad for a dead man." Moon Knight vol.1, #1 (1980)

Have you tried the Stratego Legends version? I thought putting the game into a more fantasy setting with all those special powers took away a lot of the joy of the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I was playing the English version with my Nephew and it's all @$$-backward.

That just sucks. Now I know I'm not even going to bother with the game anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Have you tried the Stratego Legends version? I thought putting the game into a more fantasy setting with all those special powers took away a lot of the joy of the game.

No I haven't. Sounds ... weird. Hmmm, I'll avoid it as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, I think that pretty much says it for the modifications they have tried to make to a classic game. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Made in DNA