3. Princess Mononoke
  4. Porco Rousso
  5. Nausicaa of the Valley of wind
    I want to see
  6. Castle in the Sky
  7. Whisper of the heart
  8. My Neighbors the Yamadas
  9. Grave of the Fireflies

what are your thoughts on the works of Miyazaki and Takahata? personally I think they’re great :smiley: :mrgreen: :stuck_out_tongue:

Both works were great. I enjoyed them.

You may miss some of their works.

I had seen them-

Only Yesterday
Ocean Waves (I Can Hear the Sea)
On Your Mark
Future Boy Conan

I want to watch-

The Cat Returns

I’ve seen:

-Howl’s Moving Castle
-Spirited Away
-Princess Mononoke
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the wind
-Castle in the Sky
-My Neighbor Totoro

Want to See
-Kiki’s delivery Service

I’ve watched

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Spirited Away
Mononoke Hime
Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind
The Cat Returns

I think Mononoke Hime has to be my favorite, but Kiki’s Delivery Service is quite magical too, I couldn’t stop crying when I watched the movie.

I’ve Seen

Castle in the Sky (which may be the worst of the lot)
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Spirited Away (my personal favorite)
Princess Mononoke

I’ll have to see the rest of these.

-.-’

Seen added

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Castle of Cagliostro

Wanted added

My Neighbors the Yamadas
Howl’s Moving Castle (I got DVD from Best Buy store, last year. So I did not watch it yet. ^.^’’ )
Tales from Earthsea

I watched so far:

1.) Nausicaa of the valley of the wind
2.) Only Yesterday
3.) My neighbour Totoro
4, Pom Poko
5.) Porco Rosso
6.) Laputa - castle in the sky
7.) Grave of the fireflies
8.) Kiki’s delivery service
9.) Ocean Waves
10.) On your mark
11.) Whisper of the heart (not really a movie, more like a trailer, though…)
12.) Princess Mononoke
13.) Spirited Away
14.) Howl’s moving Castle
15.) Tales of the Earthsea

The one that is obviously missing here is:
15.) The cat returns
But actually, I have mixed feelings about thisd one - first of all that it is the only movie that already has a shameless plug in another one (Whisper of the heart). Before that, no other Ghibli-movie needed such a cheap sales-trick…

Among these, “rincess Mononoke” and “Porco Rosso” are the ones that I enjoyed the least.

Of course, I would have preferred that “Tales of the Earthsea” wouldn’t just be the third book with short flashbacks to the first two ones - particulary because my favorite Earthsea-book was “The tombs of Atuan”!

Would I be considered a heretic if I said that I have seen absolutely none of these movies? :stuck_out_tongue:

:shock: … burn him at the stake!! :wink: but seriously you need to see these films if you have an interest in Shinto or onsen culture then Spirited Away is a must see and HMC is worth seeing just for castle it goes beyond all Mrs. Jones envisioned.

Nah, not a heretic, just ignorant…

First of all, it is very possible that you don’t like animes at all. There is nothing wrong with preferring Mangas over animes.
But IF if you actually do like animes, then …
… well if you’d ever give one of them a try, you ought to notice at first glance how much above par the animation quality of Ghibli-movies is! And that’s only the technical aspect! However, their stories vary between some with real depth (Grave of the fireflies) and others who are mostly just fun (Kiki’s delivery Service).

Nonetheless, if you chose to ignore Studio Ghibli, then fine! It is definitely just your loss anyway… :stuck_out_tongue:

Only if you weigh the same as a duck.

Maybe that’s the problem. Last year, during my first semester of Japanese, someone brought a Studio Ghibli film DVD (I don’t remember which one) to play on the computer projector screen before class. I tried watching some of it and found myself kind of gagging because it seemed too oriented towards children. (To give you an idea of what I like most, my favorite anime IP is Ghost in the Shell.) Also, most of the anime I’ve seen are either TV series or OVA. The only movies I’ve seen are: the Inuyasha movies 1 through 3 (because they were shown on [adult swim]), Blood: The Last Vampire, Ghost in the Shell and Innocence, A Wind Named Amnesia (someone from the study group I was in brought it), Perfect Blue (on my cable’s On Demand service for free), Blue Gender: The Warrior (was included in the boxed set of Blue Gender I purchased), Akira (On Demand for free), Bleach: Memories of Nobody (special event at some theaters), and Darkside Blues (On Demand for free). I think that’s everything.

I really love Howl’s Moving Castle. I only seen Howls, KiKi’s Delivery Service, and Spirited away from Studio Ghibli. Though I like to see more of the movies. The Cat Returns, Tales of Earthsea, and Princess Mononoke are the ones I really like to see.

It’s a Nippon Animation series, not a Ghibli one. The Studio Ghibli didn’t exist back then. >_<

Likewise, this one is a Toho production, not a Studio Ghibli.

Go with Princess Mononoke, Nauscica, Castle of Cagliostro (if you like Lupon). Ones that are kinda middle: Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle; ones you probably won’t like: Kiki’s Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro. You may still like Kiki’s Delivery Service, but I watch it as the first Miyazaki film before you can come to appreciate his other work.

Even though Grave of the Fireflies is good storywise, it’s a depressing story. If you ever feel like your not being emo enough, watch that movie. It’ll quickly make you feel like you’ve hit rock bottom.

Here’s link-

http://www.nausicaa.net/

Films/TV series-

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/films/