Tell Me About Disgaea

So I am pretty interested in Disgaea, but iti s beginning to look like my local Blockbuster Video won’t be carrying it, and I am not sure enough that I want it to run out and buy it without some kind of idea what I am gettingi nto, since it looks kind of original and a sort of ‘love it or hate it’ style of play

so i know a couple of you have it and I’d like your run-down of what you think of theg ame, as well as some specifics about story and character development (how good is the development?), is the game combat-heavy or story-heavy, what kinds of cool side-quests/extras and such have you found?

I am not trying to play it yet.

I like it because it has cool anime.

Here’s Gamespot link:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/disgaeahourofdarkness/index.html

It listed as RPG.

quote:
Originally posted by ladyphoenix:
So I am pretty interested in Disgaea, but iti s beginning to look like my local Blockbuster Video won't be carrying it, and I am not sure enough that I want it to run out and buy it without some kind of idea what I am gettingi nto, since it looks kind of original and a sort of 'love it or hate it' style of play

so i know a couple of you have it and I'd like your run-down of what you think of theg ame, as well as some specifics about story and character development (how good is the development?), is the game combat-heavy or story-heavy, what kinds of cool side-quests/extras and such have you found?

Okay. Do you like FF Tactics a lot? If the answer to this question is yes, stop reading, and go buy Disgaea right now.

Speaking as a rabid FFT fan...I can say Disgaea would EASILY be a shoe-in in the TRPG category for game of the year, any year OTHER than the one FFTA comes out. It's still a very very strong RPG. Hell, it might even beat out the original FFT (which I consider one of the best RPGs ever made).

The balance in the gameplay is beautiful. It really is. Everything is balanced juuuust right. And the 'gimmicky' things, if you can call them that, are very well thought out and are NOT just tacked on. The Dark Assembly (yes, you DO have to deal with Congress in the game, and it's suprisingly well-implemented) is one of the better ideas to come out in RPGs in a good long time, and so is the Item World (you can power up an item by 'entering' it which takes you to a randomly generated dungeon...it's great fun).

The game is quite amusing. I can't speak to DEVELOPMENT as yet, being right at the beginning, but it is quite a well written game. The game has 2 characters on my all-time-favorites list already: Etna (who you have from the get go) is ... impossible to describe but highly amusing, and Flonne is...well, she's the bumbling angelic assasin (no, really). And the 'next episode' "previews" at the end of each chapter are utterly brilliant comedy.

The plot makes no sense, it isn't supposed to make sense, it's one large ongoing joke. And it's a rather funny joke. (The chapter of the game I'm in right now is wholly concerned with paying the previously-mentioned exploding demon penguin squad.)

Now it's late...but seriously--Disgaea is EASILY one of the best RPGs to come out this year. There's a reason the initial shipments sold out all over the country (I mean ASIDE from the fact that Atlus took a sort of ho hum attitude towards it.)

Looks like it’s gamplay is similar to FFT. There’s a thread on AOD about it and got some nice responses. It seems that while you can change the voices between english and japanse. The shouts for the final moves for the charactes are only in english. Anyway I’ll post the link to the thread on AOD
http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=153594&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

i never really got a chance to play FFT, but the little I DID play I liked (wouldn’t say I LOVED, but liked)…I also really enjoyed the Arc the Lad series, which is another strategy-tactical type RPG

it sounds like i really want to rent this game and get a feel for it…argh, damn you blockbuster!!! and damn me for not having the money to make an impulsive purchase every now and again

So, given in yet?

yes i did, actually, and i love it how far is everyone else? i just started chapter 6, i think…Of Being An Overlord

quote:
yes i did, actually, and i love it [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] how far is everyone else? i just started chapter 6, i think..Of Being An Overlord

Laharl's Challenge or something is chapter 6. The boss of that chapter is particularly eeeeevil; I'm going to have to do some heavy duty powerlevelling just to stand a chance.

oh ok then i guess i am on chapter 7…my chapter is called Of Being An Overlord and is just after the Challenge one…

and don’t worry about power-levelling for the evil boss…you get some help…you’re SUPPOSED to lose that one (i am assuming you mean the 10 level 92 guys)

quote:
oh ok then i guess i am on chapter 7...my chapter is called Of Being An Overlord and is just after the Challenge one...

and don't worry about power-levelling for the evil boss...you get some help...you're SUPPOSED to lose that one (i am assuming you mean the 10 level 92 guys)

Yes I do mean them.

Thanks for letting me know, but I aim to beat them withOUT help. I think I can do it, I just have to get enough guys levelled to the point where they can actually take hits and still be standing.

My powers of necromancy are infinite! :wink:

Disgaea 3 has a site now. Fun, fun, fun.

http://disgaea.jp/3

Mao reminds me of Laharl for some odd reason…

Tsk tsk. You had me thinking ladyphoenix was posting again … she hasn’t posted in a very very long time.