The Sagara Family BGM Audio Issue

The BGM track is unable to be lowered or raised from the default setting in the menu. When you try to lower or raise the BGM level, though the slider shows it as having moved, it stays the same volume no matter the level. It’s this way running the game in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Funny enough, it works properly in the virtual machine of Windows XP (Service Pack 3) when I tested it running Windows 7 Pro. My guess is the MIDI file with the BGM is unable to be adjusted in versions of Windows past XP due to the way the OS is configured to handle MIDI audio in later Windows versions; which really blows since XP has been discontinued now and I have Windows 10 on my main PC. If I recall correctly, XP had a separate slider for MIDI volume in the audio settings, but that was discontinued in Vista and beyond.

Is there any way this BGM audio issue can be patched for Windows 7 through 10? Or has anyone who is experiencing the same issue found a workaround to fix it?

Looks like there is a vista fix that works on win 7

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8480&sid=0c455ff79b8fcb472ced1cdaf53d37ac

Thanks for the reply. I tried both fixes and neither works, sigh.

yeah it looks like this is more a windows problem than a game problem (since after xp they changed the way midis were handled.)

I figured out a fix for Windows 8 and 10. Though Windows XP Mode via Windows Virtual PC was discontinued after Windows 7, you can still run a virtual Windows XP console using third party software and a Windows XP iso. Microsoft still has a Windows XP iso install disc image available for download on their site, thankfully. NOTE: you will need a valid Windows XP license key or you will have to reinstall Windows XP in the virtual machine every 30 days.

So, here's my fix:

1. Find a genuine Windows XP install disc or download the iso from Microsoft's website, link here.

2. Download Oracle VM VirtualBox, link here, and install it. You can also try enabling Hyper-V which is built into Windows 8 and 10 Pro versions ( this method is more complicated, though), or try another third party virtual machine software like VMware.

3. Open VM VirtualBox and click "New" to create a new virtual machine. Then select "Windows XP (32-bit)" from the dropdown box. For the name, just put XP Mode or something similar. Create a virtual hard disk, the default settings should be fine for most people. Then select your installed virtual hard disk and click "start" to load it. Finally, select where you have the XP iso saved or mounted and install.

4. After installing Windows XP in the VM VirtualBox, load your game disc or game download and install.

5. Enjoy the game with the ability to adjust the midi volume again in Windows 8 and 10, hooray!

I use virtualbox to test windows software on my work computer (mac)

I think most people want something that will run native in newer windows which is really unlikely.