Thought I'd Raise Another Old Controversy

quote:
Originally posted by Vaga42Bond: Any coder worth their salt should be obsessive compulsive about keeping backups of everything.

Originally posted by perigee:
The same thought occurred to me in a discussion we had last year while waiting for the XC2 release [see posts near middle of page]. Apparently, that's not standard practice for many Japanese game developers. [shakes head in disbelief]

If GC makes it a rule to only port games that have unmosaiced graphics available, that could explain why their turnaround time is better than PP and why they keep using the same providers. It was said in yet-another-mosaic-debate that the artwork in some of PP's older games was drawn Barbie Doll style, that is, not what you would call anatomically correct.

Or, from a "wag the dog" perspective ... G-collections is an arm of a Japanese company. As such the Japanese company in question may have instituted a policy of ensuring all the CG is available uncensored specifically for the American market. In which case, G-Coll's situation wouldn't exactly apply anywhere else.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 07-25-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Yeah, there are a few games where they lost the CG. In particular there were some parts of ... was it chain? that weren't uncensored even with the patch. (Although, G-collections changed their policy concerning uncensoring; I think you can't even buy the versions of the games without the patches now.)

They lost the ones for DOR, and a little here and there, I think Chain was one, yes, but as I learned, the censored ones don't do as well as uncensored ones. Say what you will, but there are a LOT of people whom are buying these things for the nudity value, and G-Collections, Peach Princess, and the others are in this for the money. Even if the people who work on these things love their work and what they do, love doesn't exactly pay rent or buy food, let alone the cost of importing, printing, and shipping the games. (Go on, try to pay the landlord with a hug, or give the grocery store manager a kiss as payment.)

There is also a problem with the idea of leaving it censored for stories with remarkable plots, which was mentioned as an idea earlier I think, because so far there are basically a very small number of games (of those so far translated) where the plots were so remarkable such scenes being censored might go mostly unnoticed.

Maybe that is a result of the no censorship move or the thought this market is not worth the effort, but if they allowed the images to stay censored would it perhaps open the door to more such games?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-25-2004).]

I suppose that depends on who they’re actually trying to market to. As was pointed out, apparently a lot of people in the English market are buying these things for the nudity,making those of us who are ambivolent, and want to see more story content an apparent minority. If that’s the case, it’s going to be difficult to persuade either G-Coll or PeaPri to forgo to uncensoring in hopes of getting better story content. Besides, as was also pointed out, apparently G-Coll has its Japanese connection worked out so that it doesn’t have to worry about the mosaics, allowing for a better turn-around time. In that case, they probably could care less about what they’re getting, as long as they can get it on the market and it sells well (that sounds cynical, but sadly, I imagine it’s true).

Well that’s every business’ goal isn’t it? Sell as much as they can of whatever they are trying to sell. So if the sex heavy games sell gues that’s what they will release more of. Course I always hope that we’ll get more games like cresendo.

I have hopes Come See Me Tonight 2 will have more of a story then most of the other recent ones released.

Come See Me Tonight had a fairly good plot, not on the level of Kana, Crescendo or even Private Nurse but it did have more of a plot then we have seen in many of the recent releases which is the reason for the high hopes for Come See Me Tonight 2.