Thoughts on "A Song of Ice and Fire" TV series

I know at least some of the folks here on this forum are fellow fans of the books, and since the show on HBO’s been out for a little bit, I’m curious about their thoughts on the show. So far I like it, it’s well shot and the actors do an excellent job in bringing the characters to life (especially Sean Bean as Ned Stark and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister). I will admit the only problems I’ve had with the show is that it seems to fumble a bit when it comes to Daenerys’ side of the story (but in the most recent episode it’s gotten better) and it is harder to keep track of time passage than in the book, but other than that I’ve found the show to be a good adaptation (way better than Legend of the Seeker, that’s for sure).

Don’t get HBO. I’ll get around to watching the series eventually, but it’s probably going to have to wait for quite awhile (so many other things to read/play/watch).

Don’t watch TV but I have seen clips about the show. I haven’t read the books in forever so I have to re-read the series again. I’m a big book reader so it’s hard to keep track of the plots for all the series I own. It looks promising, but I’ll have to wait until it comes out on either a downloadable media or DVD/Blu-ray.

The first episode was a mess; they gave you no time to meet the characters, understand their relationships, or grasp just what was going on. They really needed an entire episode focused on simply introducing Winterfell and the Starks, instead they tried to do too much and it felt like they were telling the first couple chapters of the book in 3 minute sound bites.

After that, the series has improved. They slowed down the pace and started introducing the characters and world to us in a more manageable and informative fashion. I had some problems with characterization changes, or things which were simply not touched on nearly well enough … Cateline and Jon Snow’s relationship, for example … you get the impression that she resents him a bit, but nowhere near the realization that she loathes the boy for everything he stands for.

Mostly, none of the characters really look like I imagined them to, save for the King, and Arya. Despite that, however, the acting seems up to snuff and I’m sure after a season of watching the show we’ll come to imagine that this is how everyone should look when we’re rereading the books. (Little Finger and Tyrion are quickly winning me over, for example)

Here there be Twincest!!

I think this scene alone has cemented my liking for this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngs6UlgbYIU

Though I do have to wonder, what could you do with jackass and a honeycomb in a brothel?

Depends how much you’re paying …

Me, I’m not to fond on how they are treating most of the female characters … making them weaker than they were in the books. The Queen comes off far too much like a sympathetic victim than the manipulative, resentful, and controlling woman she was in the novels. For a book series with so many strong female characters, we are seeing very little of that strength here.

Well, I can let that part slide since the female characters get more spotlight later, and it has already been confirmed we’ll be getting a Clash of Kings season so hopefully that flaw will be fixed with time.

I find it frustrating that each season is only 10 episodes long … what happened to the days when a season lasted 20+ episodes … 2 1/2 months a year is not a season and does not do these shows justice.

TV used to be more profitable: now not so much. Costs for production goes up, while return from profits (from sponsors, episode sales, merchandise, etc) goes down. So then reality kicks in, and you get less for… well… less… :expressionless:

If you’re interested in this kind of thing, I’d suggest visiting the library for books that discuss the evolution of Star Trek and/or Babylon 5 episodes and their production. Sure, it’s a different show and studio, but the politics and economics of episode creation are generally the the same… just different people. If you wanna stay with the same studio, check out similar books for The Sopranos.

TV-land is pretty sobering and ruthless when it comes down to $$$. :shock:

Damn, no battles?! None? Make this an anime! Then we might have a decent adaption. :x

Well, the real fighting starts in season 2 anyway, and according to a blog post by Martin, there will be battles in season 2 because he’s in charge of writing an episode with a pretty significant one.

Okay, been waching season 2 and I just have one question…am I the only one facepalming at every episode at the number of unnecessary changes?

They are doing lots of things more obvious, adding some extra ero and finally also doing some weird changes (maybe to keep book readers also interested?). I can’t say I expected all this back when I was excited that the book was turning into a TV series, but hey I’m a original-source purist.

coincidentally enough, I just started watching it this past weekend. I’m not usually into the sword & sorcery genre, but I heard it had tits, so what the heck. Not too bad, fairly interesting–I lke the dwarf, but I’m going to have a hard time remembering the names of all the characters. I also found it interesting that in this mythical kingdom (that reminds me of Scotland) everyone does it doggie style. Is this the result of an exhaustive study of the sex styles of the ancient world on the part of the author, or is it an expression of HBO’s patented rear-entry fake intercourse that you see all the time on late night cable?

Don’t mean to necropost, but I have to say seeing the reaction of those who haven’t read the books to last week’s episode (hint to those who don’t watch, they’re currently covering book three) is simply delightful :twisted: :twisted:

(video in the second link, and warning SPOILERS)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article … mpaign=all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juOpTM3tE

Twincest Cosplay:

http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/fan … r-cosplay/

Yes. They win first place. 8)