Titles going out of print?

Hi all, been away for a looooooooooong time but I’m back now! :smiley: It seems that some titles are going out of print. Is this true? Kango 1 and Figures of Happiness disappeared from the PP site recently. If titles are going out of print, what are they?

It would be a shame for Figure of Happiness to go out of print.

I have also noticed that the Milky House Collection went out of print, and I’m disappointed since it mysteriously disappeared while I was still telling people they should buy it.

I don’t know if FoH is going out of print or not, but if it is, then I’m glad I was convinced to get it in my last order when I asked for advice in my “Just Another Suggestion Thread”. (It was discounted as well; I don’t know what this “bad case” discount was about, but I saw absolutely no damage to the disc in the copy I received.) Since only the download version is shown as available on J-List now, there may be something to this.

Is it truly out of print if you can purchase it as a download? Downloads aren’t the same as having a CD or DVD in a case with all the pretty print and whatnot, but it is still out there legally for you to purchase. No “abandonware” hunting, and PP is updating most of their downloads to work under Vista 64, for instance.

Well, for me out of print means “have PP & co. stopped pressing CD’s” for a particular game. I don’t care for V-mate, never have, probably never will. @Darkstar, you probably remember the firestorm on the GC board a couple years ago. Anyway, I guess what I’m asking is “what titles have PP/GC stopped pressing?”

Any comment from those in the know, eg. Lamuness/Peter would be very appreciated.

I remember the VMate flames. The new downloads are supposed to use a much friendly “activate once” check. And even the VMate stuff got patches to “correct” most of their offending aspects.

I’m going to guess that when they are considered ‘Out of Print’, download editions are either available or in production.

Some of these titles are fairly old so once they stop selling it’s understandable that they’d stop making CD’s since i believe it costs the maker it get them made also.

They may also be working on re-releasing them in groups.
As an example, the early parts of the x-change series are a rare find in japan, but you can find them easily in groups.
If i recall theirs 2 box’s/groups.

X-change 1R + X-change 2R
and
X-change 3 + X-change alternative

As an example.

A handful of titles have gone out of print, only to come back into print later on. Jewel Knights, for example, wasn’t available for awhile, then it came back. DOR I think was turned to download-only when GC switched ownership.

And, I mean, the MIlky House Collection had the games updated for XP compatibility; it could just be “well, now we need to upgrade the upgrades for Vista.” Or it could be “these games are old. They have to go away sometime.”

I’ve asked Peter for the official word on this and should be able to get back to you with a list of game availability statuses soon.

Hi, that’s a good idea, we’ll try to make a list of what games are going out of print. Sadly, we do need to take some games out of print to keep our warehouse from getting too full, and some of the older titles will be going download only. The current list of games we will likely be running out of soon in CD-ROM form includes:

Chain
Private Nurse
Sensei 2
Critical Point
I’m Gonna Serve You 4
Little My Maid
Critical Point
Gibo

If you want to collect these titles, it’s a good idea to get them soon.

So…it doesn’t look like FoH is on that list.

That list cannot be authoritative, it looks like a preliminary list. He obviously didn’t double check it since “Critical Point” is listed twice.

I am, however, very glad to hear it’s actually been addressed officially and more-or-less formally announced. Having titles just … disappear, without explanation, is less than ideal.

The list does not include games that are already out of print, of which Figures of Happiness is one. I’m Gonna Nurse You (Kango Shichauzo) is also currently out of print. Both of these titles are available via download only.

I’ll get a sticky post up soon with a summary of this information, but as a rule of thumb if a title is listed for purchase via download only (as is the case with Figures and I’m Gonna Nurse You) there are currently no plans to reprint CD copies of the game.

Update: a sticky post is now available with official lists of games that are currently download-only as well as those planned for phasing to download following the current print run:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5582

Well, now that the word is official on FoH, I must say I’m REALLY glad I got it in my last purchase. I much prefer having my eroge on a disk instead of download.

Shingo, Peter, thanks for the sticky and the info! (wow, my first sticky topic. heh) That’s good to know as I’m sure there’s lots of folks like myself that prefer to have physical media of purchased s/w.

I actually found a store online and was able to pick up both Kango 1 Voice+ as well as FoH. If anyone else is interested PM me for the info.

This all is of interest to me because I lost my whole game collection as a result of Hurricane Ike and just now recovering enough to try to rebuild it. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I see no word on the Milky House Collection. Is that just … gone?

I’ve just checked with Peter on this and yes, the Milky House Collection is currently out of print. We’re working on a solution that will allow us to provide it for sale via download, but there are some unresolved technical barriers that are keeping it from being made available. We hope to eventually bring it out again in some form but I can’t give you an ETA on that right now, unfortunately.

I’ve been looking forr the 1r and 2r collection for a while, but no one will import it.

If your fine with download editions ( Like DLsite ), you can purchase them from Supara Market

http://mkp.surpara.com/detail.php?IID=170
http://mkp.surpara.com/detail.php?IID=171

Thats where i got mine.

Problem being, I can’t speak or read Japanese. Therefore, I’m stuck when it comes to navigating the site and ordering.

Playing the Japanese versions doesn’t bug me as much.