To the comp saavy: how to make a partition?

ok so heres how the story goes i have a friend who recently crashed her hard drive and lost all her photos and some writing. She plans to back up on an externasl hardrive from now on which is stil a good idea but I came here seeking easy how to for dummy instructions in the meantime?
She has a standard Mac laptop which given what little wikipedia says seems to work differently for this sort of thing :? but none the less I thought Id ask for instructions and if its possible to make one- to seperate photos and word documents from the OS in case it crashed again.

sorry for the absence been busy :oops:

come on nobody/ Narg? Olf come on guys I had high hopes :expressionless: :roll:

personally i always suggest making the OS on it’s own seperate partition, even for windows.

Well see the problem is, you have a Mac. :stuck_out_tongue: Outside of Apple Talk - which I only know for networking purposes - my knowledge of Mac’s are low. If we’re talking Windows or UNIX, then I can help out. However as far partitions in general go, I’m with Jinnai. Unless you REALLY need to keep things divided for personal organization, there’s no hardware advantage for hard drive partitioning. In fact there’s disadvantages in terms of access speed and hardcore troubleshooting. Partitioning is just one of those “old days” things, when hard drives were insanely expensive, only a few hundred megabytes in size, and cable plugs were a premium on motherboards. That or if you REALLY need to have multiple OS or file systems on the same drive - which naturally, is something most IT’s would recommend against; a mechanical crash under either environment would suck hardcore.

As far as HOW to partition for a Mac, I can at least point this out to you: http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajxz.html

It’s from the IT division of Indiana University, so I’m figuring those Ph.D experts know what they’re doing. :wink: