US Congress begins its war against privacy on the internet

Source

Won’t likely pass this time, but it could gain momentum. This might have a very chilling effect on boards like this. I hope PP will contact their congressmen and let them know not to support it.

Also someone mentioned on another board this could actually make stalking easier for criminals.

if this passes i’ll stick my own dick in my ear

Feh… what it would do is make sites get hosted on non-US servers. States like California make MAJOR money by hosting sites from countries that have restrictive Internet laws. Passing a bill like that would have them go somewhere else. Russia or Israel for example (how ironic too, given how restrictive those countries are in other things).

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Heh… I wonder if the Church of Scientology has anything to do with this… :lol:

Does he really think that forcing people to disclose their identities is going to solve every problem on the net? What’s needed is actually education, consensus or discussions on state of conduct on the internet, not wishy washy implementations like this.

Anonymity protects victims of sexual abuse, whistleblowers, allows them to find a safe place to make their posts and grants them some privacy, etc. Of course on the flip side: it allows people to get away scot free with hurting others like online sexual harrassment, pushing people to kill themselves, etc. and making excuses for it when they’re caught.

But I think it’s because the “internet” is still a fairly new concept for many people, which is why many regulations and laws regarding the various facets of it, aren’t clearly defined.

It’s not a surprise, every democratic nation has its own undemocratic tendencies, however I don’t believe that something like this will be approved.

P.S.
Visit http://opennet.net/ if you are interested in this topic.

I’ll stick my dick up Mr. Couch’s ass if this happens…
Hmmm… I’ll post this up at 4chan, wonder what will happen…

Not that it wasn’t blatantly obvious but It appears we have a good amount of anonymous brothers in our mist. So whom among you had this figured out by the posts of each member like myself?