V-Mate Questions

I’m starting a new topic for V-Mate questions. It’s addressed mainly to those who already purchased GC’s Let’s Meow Meow and have experience using V-Mate. I’m interested in learning more about the system, not debating its merits. If anyone can answer some basic questions, thanks in advance!

• Does V-Mate impose any requirements beyond those already noted?
  • Has anyone managed to play offline using the Windows suspend/resume method? [not being able to load saved games without connecting is disappointing]
  • Knowing what you know now, would you buy another V-Mate game? [buyers only]
  • Have any cracks or downloads appeared on the Internet yet? [don’t want pointers - just confirmed sightings]

No cracks yet, at least not at one of the main distribution points.

Cannot confirm personal sightings of cracks, but can confirm people I trust having told me that they have seen cracks of V-Mate in more then one location, locations they admitted were not typical for such findings but it seems such things do already exist.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 11-04-2004).]

I haven’t bought LMMW, nor i have intention to do so. But i keep a watching eye over the Net and i confirm what SCDawg said.

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 11-04-2004).]

You know, such “cracks” are most likely viruses or trojans

They could as well be real if you ask me. All data being on CD (since there are no interessting VM game out yet I don’t have any so I cannot tell if they script is actually downloaded which would make it harder, but I doubt it since they claim it takes only very short, which it wouldn’t on slow connections and a few MB to dl). So even if the data on CD is encrypted and it’s not only used as ignition, even if that key was to be calculated with the users mac address or whatever…it doesn’t change the fact that’s it’s crackable. I don’t dislike vmate, it saves money for buying games, I am just worried GC will be a bit disappointed and maybe even quiet soon.
So well to at least answer question 4: sighted none, didn’t search for any. However I am convinced with a packet logging tool, a debugger,disassembler a few copies of a game and some computers it can be created. (edit: and maybe even some programming skills required)

[This message has been edited by allamala (edited 11-04-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by allamala:
They could as well be real if you ask me.

Me saying they might be viruses or trojans has nothing to do with me not believing they can be done. It's just a simple fact on the internet that viruses and trojans are often camouflaged as things people want a lot, with names "people" (read, computer-impaired public-workers who spend all their time playing solitare) won't suspect.

quote:
All data being on CD (since there are no interessting VM game out yet I don't have any so I cannot tell if they script is actually downloaded which would make it harder, but I doubt it since they claim it takes only very short, which it wouldn't on slow connections and a few MB to dl). So even if the data on CD is encrypted and it's not only used as ignition, even if that key was to be calculated with the users mac address or whatever...it doesn't change the fact that's it's crackable. I don't dislike vmate, it saves money for buying games, I am just worried GC will be a bit disappointed and maybe even quiet soon.
So well to at least answer question 4: sighted none, didn't search for any. However I am convinced with a packet logging tool, a debugger,disassembler a few copies of a game and some computers it can be created. (edit: and maybe even some programming skills required)

Data encrypted? Maybe, but I suspect they didn't even bother. The game and VM are separate software from what I've heard, VM works like a proxy for the game<->server requests (the VM client software is available for download at their website). I think it works like this:

- The game gives VM the user info (username/password)
- VM sends it to the server along with other computer info (hardware hash, product id and whatever else they want to, basically)
- the server checks the data and replies something (probably a simple "ok")
- VM then tells something to the game, like "ok, the server says you're clean, so here's the key to decrypt your data" or even something more n00bish like "ok, you can step out of your authentication loop".

The whole scheme is so full of holes I could sell it for cheese but, hey, if it makes GC feel more safe... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, the board mods dislike tech-talk, so we best not touch such matters again.

quote:
Originally posted by GoHF:
Anyway, the board mods dislike tech-talk, so we best not touch such matters again.
Also, my purpose in asking the question is to find out whether the game has actually been cracked. If VM is easily defeated, it may be discontinued. If it takes several months (or longer) to break it, then it will likely be used for future GC releases.

So far I haven't read any confirmed reports that VM has been broken. Speculation about how it might be or secondhand reports from a "friend of a friend" are worthless. If anyone has firm knowledge that the game is currently available for download, that's what I would call confirmation.

… but who of us would admit to having inside knowledge on pirate operations?

Personally, the only place I know of to get that sort of thing is fileshare, and I’m not going to download a whole CD image just to find out if they’ve cracked it.

All you have to do to find if a game has been cracked is a quick web search. I did so a couple days ago, and all I found was a little discussion (and Italicus in the middle of it ). Apparently there’s at least one hacker working on it. Like perigee, I suspect G-collections might think twice about sticking with V-mate if it’s cracked very soon after release. That’s why I’ll post here if I ever spot a “legitimate” crack.

Eh, if this post is over the line, feel free to delete it, Lamuness.

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
... but who of us would admit to having inside knowledge on pirate operations? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
It only requires outside knowledge to learn if the game is being distributed. It's not incriminating to know where to look for such things as long as you aren't party to piracy. Myself, I don't know and don't even want to know where to look. I'm relying on an observer, and I'd probably ask a second person to verify any sightings.
quote:
Personally, the only place I know of to get that sort of thing is fileshare, and I'm not going to download a whole CD image just to find out if they've cracked it.
I wouldn't want you to download it. But if you happen to see any reports that other people are successfully downloading and running it, that would be informative. I just want to find out one way or the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
All you have to do to find if a game has been cracked is a quick web search. I did so a couple days ago, and all I found was a little discussion (and Italicus in the middle of it [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]).

LOL!!!! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway i've finally identified the source of the requests.... interesting, truly.... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] I never suspected he was the one.... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

First detected, still uncracked, disguised under a faked name and extension.

@ Lamuness

This is not a piracy’s encouragement, it’s only a report on their activities. I didn’t gave addresses or hints to find them to anyone on this forum.

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 11-08-2004).]