Viper Paradice Shipping!

For those of you who have preordered, JastUSA has started Shipping Viper Paradice, received the email confirmation on Thursday. Will Post again when I receive it.

Got the game and immediately put it in my PC for a spin. I think it’s pretty good, other than the little annoying choppy animation for moving your character, and the always terrible Japanese to English translation, the game is a very well thought out board game. I am confused about the functions of some of the cards in the game though. the ‘Small card’ is supposed to make all your movies 1/2 their current size while it is in effect, the ‘BL/CL’ is supposed to make them monochrome, and the ‘silent’ is supposed to turn off the sound, but when I view the movies while these are in effect, nothing happens. Am I to assume that they only affect the movies I pick up along the way, those that launch upon being earned?

Won a couple games on Viper Paradice and collected a good number of movies, but something still baffles me to no end… the ‘small movie’, the ‘bl/cl’, the ‘silent’, the ‘unlucky’… etc etc, all the ocassional cards seem to have no effect whatsoever to the player currently holding them in his hand. I only saw the ocassional ‘sleep’ card take effect once, and that was pretty much it. Seems to spoil the strategy badly if you couldn’t use ‘change’ to swap a crappy card to someone else and take them down from their position in no.1

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
Got the game and immediately put it in my PC for a spin. I think it's pretty good, other than the little annoying choppy animation for moving your character, and the always terrible Japanese to English translation, the game is a very well thought out board game. I am confused about the functions of some of the cards in the game though. the 'Small card' is supposed to make all your movies 1/2 their current size while it is in effect, the 'BL/CL' is supposed to make them monochrome, and the 'silent' is supposed to turn off the sound, but when I view the movies while these are in effect, nothing happens. Am I to assume that they only affect the movies I pick up along the way, those that launch upon being earned?

In The options panel you can have the game play all the movies you gain when you land on the the black square or just the ones you haven't seen in the current game. This doesn't apply to movie cards you might acquire via a line change or other card.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 10-05-2002).]

So basically the ocassional cards act on the cards that are played upon landing on those black squares then? How about the unlucky cards? I have not once seen it take any money during any turn, and the sleep card has only worked once as far as I know. ‘Vumper’, or the bumper card has not bumped anyone one space at a time yet.

quote:
So basically the ocassional cards act on the cards that are played upon landing on those black squares then? How about the unlucky cards? I have not once seen it take any money during any turn, and the sleep card has only worked once as far as I know. 'Vumper', or the bumper card has not bumped anyone one space at a time yet.

Not that I've seen in Paradice.

The BL/W card, Small Movie Card, and the Sound Card SHOULD affect any movies you play back using the player on the Movie cards you already have.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 10-06-2002).]

I played 3 games of Viper Paradice over the weekend, and I can safely say that the occasional cards not only did not occasionally affect my movie play backs, in fact, they did not affect the playbacks at all. Weird. I don’t think that matters nearly as much, what matters is that a lot of the strategy with lucky, unlucky, ‘vumper’, and sleep is lost; what else is the point of switching these cards for your opponent’s goodies if they aren’t at all affected, and in addition just sucks up a slot in your hand?

SAy, I’ve bene looking a tthe Viper Paradice page at PP, and I wonde rif those who have played it think it’s worth to spend your money on??

Wiseman says:
Never spend money on anything related to the Viper series and you will live a long healthy and happy life

Gurvon says:
Paradice might actually be the only one viper game that atleast from the looks of it might be worth spending cash on (it might actually last longer than 10 minutes)

I tend to concur with Gurvon. The gameplay is actually a lot of fun, the Viper Animations are somewhat incidental bonuses. But, as Wiseman says, Viper games tend to be pretty flimsy. All fluff, little substance.

So, in other words, you say that Viper Paradice could be a good buy, even if other Viper games are not?

Hmm, I’d agree it’s the best value of the series I’ve seen. And that’s even with me only getting the game to work occassionally. Of course if you don’t like the arcade type of games, then it has less value to you. But it is fun and can keep you occupied for a couple of hours.

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
SAy, I've bene looking a tthe Viper Paradice page at PP, and I wonde rif those who have played it think it's worth to spend your money on??

After having it tried this weekend, I have to say, it's sure much more worth its money than all the other Viper games ("Viper Limited" in particular) and DOR as well.

However, I like boardgames, so it is only my opinion. Regarding other bishoujo arcade-style games, I'd recommend "Kotobuki" more than "Viper Paradice".

If what Hobibox posted on their website is true, (That they’re going to port all the Gokuraku Games in the series) Then I’d wait for the Lanjerie games to come out in English. (I have Black in Japanese) They’re are about six gameboards, The telephone cards are treated like the movies (You have a telephone card viewer as well as a movie viewer) and all the Negative cards are in full effect.

What the… so you are telling me the negative cards are meant to do NOTHING AT ALL? That bites. Where’s the strategy then? Just finished getting all the movies early this morning incidentally, was hoping if I finish the collection it would unlock the full potential of the occassional cards, and was sorely disappointed. Ah well.

quote:
What the... so you are telling me the negative cards are meant to do NOTHING AT ALL? That bites.

Well, at least they occupy a place in your hand that cannot be freed easily (only by using the "Change"-card, as far as I have figured it out).
O.K., there might be also an passing over of those cards, if you arrive at a field on the board where already another charcter stands...