visual novel.net peter payne interview

vn.net did and interview with people payne and shingo
here is the interview i haven’t listened to it yet
http://downloads.visual-novels.net/VNN_ … Shingo.rar

Nice interview.

The part I liked the most was of course the part about the Raidy games and Zyx, since that’s what I asked about. Can’t say I’m happy with what was said about Zyx and Raidy III, but I understand that Peter is just the messenger here. Well, at least Jast have made good progress on Raidy II. Hopefully there won’t be any (significant) delays.

Nice to get an occasional reminder that Shingo is still alive =P I admit I’d been starting to wonder

I was kinda disappointed they avoided naming any Nitro+ games we might see in the near future but I guess it was expectable. They just want to surprise fans in the right time… :wink:

they might tell us during con season

I don’t particulary care if the HCGs in the game are censored or not, so the bit about them dismissing all games without uncensored CG is pretty disapointing to me. How do you guys feel about this?

I already knew Peter and Shingo were guys. This interview still doesn’t answer the all important question, if Lamuness is the busty babe in the avatar that Lamuness uses. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or they’re simply bound by contractual obligations <_<;

Peter has repeatedly said that he doesn’t announce if a title is in development or negotiations, until it’s almost dead certain the title will be released. From how he words it, dead certain means: the title is in full swing translation, he has the original artist submitting decensored material, the SDK are in the hands of those he needs to get the programming to work, the game engine has been proven to run English characters with stability, and the ink on the contract with the originating company has dried weeks ago. Even then he’s ran into scenarios when a title was suddenly pulled at the final hour.

So he may have a lot of things in talks, but he won’t talk about them until he has the package certified delivered on his doorstep yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue:

Remember the whole Black Cyc and GIGA deals? Imagine if Peter announced that he’d be getting MinDeaD BlooD and Gore Screaming Show in December 2008, but suddenly announced that things fell out at the end, and he couldn’t deliver it anymore. People would obviously be upset about it. So he just didn’t say anything… then sadly admitted when it was certain everything was dead on those front, that they tried… probably to stop the pro BCyc and GIGA fans to stop asking for asking them, and propose new titles. Not that I think we should stop asking them, [url=http://www.darktranslations.com/]since at least on fanlation group[/url] figured out how to get BCyc games to run English script, and I want my authentic twincest damn it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t particularly care either. Anyone who is a fan of Japanese erotica gets used to the mosaic.

But American customers get upset over censorship and many will throw fits on principle. And some of them honestly find the censorship to ruin the appeal for them. It is basically a given at this point that you simply have no choice, if your product is not uncensored (even if the parts that got revealed look awful compared to the original cause the artist didn’t draw them in right) then it doesn’t sell well. Period.

G-Collections started selling their games - they were run from the Japanese end. Their idea was that they would sell the censored versions, with a patch to convert them to the non-censored versions. They abandoned that literally right away: any game not in their initial batch was simply uncensored, period.

Similarly, unvoiced is highly unlikely to fly nowadays. Only re-releases of older titles, or titles that are already famous, can get away with it now.

Two words: Slave Bazaar.

I still regret that the game was cancelled. Even though brutish themes don’t appeal to me at all. And that title was cancelled years ago (before Narg had even joined the boards here).

Wasn’t that cancelled because of licensing complications/conflicts that arose from the OVA anime being released by Anime 18? A damn shame. Central Park Media when bankrupt recently, which means it was a total waste of a loss.

I think ADV bought up the CPM holdings.

EDIT
Or maybe Right Stuf International. ADV sold their hentai division off to them.

I don’t believe that was the issue. I think it was cancelled because it wasn’t actually owned by Will, and the original makers would have had to approve it, and they didn’t/wouldn’t/couldn’t. Also there was a problem with the large amount of text not displayed thru Windows calls, but drawn into the CG. Apparently large amounts of text were drawn into a journal, which was simply CGs in the game. These would have had to be totally redrawn and I take it that was part of the problem.

It’s been a long time, I don’t recall exactly the precise reason. But the OVA got released some time after the game got canned. (I think the game was announced then canned before the OVA even existed, but I may be wrong).

Considering I’m more than likely going to be attending the Comic Con again this year I suppose that’s one thing I could bring up with him. After all, if that was the only hurdle that needed to be overcome then it might lead to your desired twincest.

If you manage it, thank you very much. I know it wasn’t exactly pretty, but I know that fanlation group used a backward engineering style program that seemed to work across multiple titles. OAGT, kirikiri, or something like that. Maybe it was doing something neither Jast or BCyc had considered, and after seeing it, could get them to figure a means to do it with their native tools.

There was a screen shot of their success with using MinDeaD, but I never saved it. :frowning:

Black Cyc does not use kirikiri =P Black Cyc uses NNN, a VN engine nowhere near as friendly. That said, it can be dealt with like all others - the problem of spacing is not a big one. Do you think MOON. supported halfwidth spacing before I dived into the executable and tweaked some numbers to make it support halfwidth spacing? Because it didn’t! This same approach can be used for NNN as well.

this would also open up a whole heap of cheap Dieselmine games for translation too >_>

I learned more about Mangagamer in the interview than I did about JAST. :lol:

But seriously, one surprising comment from the duo was that not only did they not have an interest in all-ages games, but they said even games with some but very little ero content were probably not worth bringing over. It was also implied that Cosplay Fetish Academy did better than Princess Waltz, which I found rather surprising. They were very clear that they intend to proceed along a 2-pronged approach of story-heavy and sex romp titles, but read between the lines and there was the suggestion that sex romps are more profitable, requiring less work to translate and selling better on top of that.

Another message they had was that the reason for the dearth of RPGs was supply (as in, developers offering them RPGs to translate), rather than cost of localization. They did acknowledge that there was a definite demand for RPGs, and seemed perfectly happy to bring more over if they could arrange the contracts.

i liked hearing about how jast usa came to be

Thanks for this, it’s quite interesting and informative.

[url=http://www.dieselmine.com/itutugo/index.html]I like where this conversation is headed[/url]. (NSFW) :wink: