VM Ware Player

For those of us who are having compatibility issues with old games,
There’s VM Ware player available here:
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

Basically allows you to run a Virtual Machine (VM) of an Older/ different/ newer OS, in your current OS.

Please Note:
-You’ll need to install the OS into whatever VM you create, so you’ll need your old install discs etc.

-Have 2 VM’s on my current machine (Windows XP and Windows 98)

Use the XP VM to run my JWin Games, and my 98 VM to run my old Himeya soft and Otaku Games.

I prefer http://www.virtualbox.org/.

However, I must ask, how the hell did you get Windows 98 working?

I tried, and the sound didn’t work, and I couldn’t connect to the internet because of no dial-up modem.

ya I use a usb headset for my 98 VM. It gives me sound on it. I did get a suitable sound Driver for my sound device on my mobo when I “upgraded” a copy of my 98 VM to Me.

I think the last release of IE for 98 / ME was IE6.

Well, my main concern is sound. My XP virtual box works right off with sound.

I have no idea where to start with 98, it always just worked for me back when I used it years ago.

Would ME be a better bet for sound support and eroge games?

Hmm, It might depend on what sound card you use. See I had sound on my 98 VM until I installed Wing Commander Kilrathi saga on it.

DirectX 2 (Which auto-installs on the Kilrathi Saga Disc)screwed up sound on my usb headset and I couldn’t get sound back on my 98 VM.

(Since you can’t uninstall DirectX)

Upgrading the 98 VM to Me found a compatible driver for my mobo’s sound device. YMMV.

Does this work on old Japanese game with XP setting? I have old one that I want to replay. I tried to set my laptop with dual OS setting, but I couldn’t get it.

So is this software free? Or do I have to pay? After downloading it then changing language setting to Japanese, would it run some XP Japanese games?

Thanks for info, but I already got vmware workstation for free. I know it is illegal, but hey. who cares?

Well VM Ware Player is free and you can set it up however you want by what resources you want to use (Size of VHD (Virtual Hard Drive), How much memory guest OS uses etc.) So it’s not to hateful getting it to run if you have 4GB+ memory on your host system. It’s useful to know a bit about the OS your installing, to be able to tweak it so it runs as close to optimal as you can.