What do you find most important In VN's?

Discuss what you find most important in VN’s and why. For example Story,Music and H content.

What I find most important in Visual Novels.

For me I believe, it is simply the ability to engage me in the story that’s happening with the characters in them. Looking at Saya no Uta, Steins;Gate, Yumina. What they all had in common for me in particular (even though this applies to other VNs as well) was how you heard the protagonist’s thoughts which really helped you understand why they do what they did. The actions of these main characters were not actions I would normally think to do if I were in their position. But, from viewing the Story’s world through their eyes, I came to understand how Fuminori loved Saya and was willing to sacrifice everything about his old life to be with her, I could understand why Rintaro used his Chunibyou personality as a defense mechanism to hide his insecurities, and ultimately when he had to face real danger threatening his friends and himself, his desire to protect his friends was something I could really connect with, from experiencing day to day life along with Rintaro. Then for Akashima Ayumu, seeing how he interacted with Yumina and then joining a club with Yumina to become friends with Kirara and Ai. Even though Yumina still had the main protagonist being Ayumu, it felt like I experienced Yumina the Ethereal through the eyes of all 4 main characters through their perspectives and routes since you spend the whole game using these 4 characters in the School Debate and VR Dungeon battles, really understanding them through their battle skills and what they share about themselves.

The Music in all of the VNs I’ve played so far has been spectacular every time. I find myself really loving to listen to VN Music outside of the VN itself and even just listening to the VN’s Sound Library that’s unlocked after beating the VN for a long period of time. “Please Listen” is my favorite song that Yumina sings from Yumina the Ethereal, it just sounds so hopeful, serene, and filling with energy. I couldn’t possibly list all of the VN music I love here as I could go on and on, along with the Anime OSTs I listen to on a daily basis as well.

What I find important in the H content of a VN is the quality of it, and not the sheer quantity of it. VNs which have few Hentai scenes that are at the end after you’re locked into a route with one of the characters your protagonist has fallen in love with are better to me, than VNs that have Hentai scenes with many characters that I don’t know well and haven’t gotten the chance to know in the story. It’s the reason I love the hentai scenes from the VNs Yumina, Kana Okaeri, and Saya no Uta. Because I could feel the Main characters in those games really loved the characters they “made love” with. They are my “reward” for experiencing a story with a character I’ve really gotten to know throughout the story and feel hopeful with how the protagonist loves the character and is willing to do anything for them. In VNs such as Raidy and Demonbane, the Hentai scenes in those games are mostly quantity it feels like, and not all of the scenes are consensual with all the characters. And while on a primal level I still find enjoyment in those scenes, I don’t feel any emotional attachment to them, but for those games emotional attachment isn’t the point of the H-scenes in those games and I understand that, so I just enjoy the scenes in those games for what they are. And my main enjoyment from those games comes from aspects aside from the H scenes. For Raidy, I love RPG Dungeon Crawlers and Raidy’s simple system takes me back to the 90’s and my childhood of gaming. With Raidy 3 as well I get to live out my fantasies of becoming part monster/ a monster girl, and that is the main area of the game where I derive my enjoyment of Raidy from. For Demonbane, it is the philosophical discussions the Main character sometimes has along with learning about the many Eldritch Abominations from the Cthulhu Mythos told with an interesting story with some of these figures representing Mechs. This being the main reason I enjoy Demonbane.

I enjoy most VNs that made me feel happy after finishing it. I am not a big fan of crying games, or games where even the “good” endings where all bittersweet. To me that is the most important thing.

Interactivity, immersiveness, sexiness.

1. Interactivity: Mechanics that engage you in the world, whether it be gameplay systems or choices. Most VNs rate poorly in this area, and that’s one reason they’re not very popular in the West. VNs with highly branching stories tend to be more engaging than those that simply have you choose a heroine.
  2. Immersiveness: The ability of the VN to draw you into its world. Interactivity factors into this, but so do characters and setting. Games with intricate and highly-developed settings, like Eushully’s Ikusa Megami series and Type Moon’s Fate/Stay Night, tend to be highly immersive. Reliance on tropes reduces immersion. Special effects and animation can also increase immersion by helping to bring the world to life.
  3. Sexiness: Sex appeal is at the core of the genre, which is dominated by adult games. The appeal of its heroines can make or break a game. A sexy VN is not necessarily a nukige, and in fact a cottage industry has arisen based solely on non-explicit fanservice (e.g., the Sakura series). Many VNs lack sexual build-up, and either bombard the user with sex (weakening its impact) or tack on H-scenes without first building up the sexual tension that would make these scenes cathartic.

It’s a rare VN indeed that excels at all 3 of these.

Speaking of interactivity, we need more dating sim/raising sim type games in the west. The two games that really got me into VNs where; True Love (actual dating sim game) and Princess Maker 2 (raising sim game). Princess Maker 2 in particular I have never played a game since then that has invoked the same feeling. Any games I play that try and do it tend to either be far too unpolished (inconstant art etc) or far too simplified (reducing the whole raising element to a simple minigame etc).

I have played many visual novels, but I have a problem finishing them. They are all good, but I end up starting another one and put the one I’m playing on the back burner. I guess most games catch my attention and a select few Grab my attention. I like a game with a good story and characters to match. The visuals should be a good representation of who the characters are, and the music should match the feeling of what the scene is trying to convey to you. I agree with Aurora3500 on most if not all of his/her opinions on what makes a VN a good one.

Recently, I blazed through the first Majikoi. My God, that game had it all. The characters were so awesome, and the main character was a really cool guy. It’s different because he is not the leader of the group of friends; he’s the tactician, and it shows in his way of thinking when he solves his problems or views his friends. The music was great, the story was amazing (depending on who you pursue, it varies. But, they all are awesome) and the characters, even the side ones, are memorable because of their actions and personalities. I had to go to lengths to finally obtain the game in English and uncensored, but it was way worth it.

Like I said earlier, I start a lot of games without finishing them. I have a long list like Princess Evangile, Nekopara, Eden and Yumina. I intend to play those through and come back later on, but that’s what I see is most important. Characters, story, visuals and music.

P.S.
Listen to Majikoi’s soundtrack. It’s great.

@CrimsonDX said:
Speaking of interactivity, we need more dating sim/raising sim type games in the west. The two games that really got me into VNs where; True Love (actual dating sim game) and Princess Maker 2 (raising sim game). Princess Maker 2 in particular I have never played a game since then that has invoked the same feeling. Any games I play that try and do it tend to either be far too unpolished (inconstant art etc) or far too simplified (reducing the whole raising element to a simple minigame etc).

I suppose one difficult hurdle to cross, is how the Japanese market has evolved this genre into ever more complex presentations. Modern raising sims have become titles like The iDOLM@STER, which even for a company as wealthy as Namco is difficult to license outside Japan. (Apparently each individual song needs negotiation with the composer, sound studio and singers involved – and there’s a lot of songs). You import a title less than that, and people get upset they didn’t get The iDOLM@STER or it’s ilk. There’s also the issue that titles like The iDOLM@STER make their profit off the overpriced DLC, which works great in Japan, but would fail in the West.

The raisers with traditional menu driven game mechanics like Princess Maker, are a waning breed. Princess Maker 4 managed to succeed in the twilight years, but that was largely due to the almighty Tenhiro Naoto and an infusion of mainstream galge plot elements. When the more traditional Princess Maker 5 with Takami Akai (i.e. easier to afford) artwork rolled into market, it’s poor sales killed the series throughout Asia. On the note of Princess Maker… I recall someone telling me that PM4 and PM5 aren’t easy for a US license because it requires negotiating with all three of Gainax, GeneX, and CyberFront. IIRC, CyberFront is also out of business and the software rights are held in a trust or something. This is supposedly the reason why a “renewal” of PM4 or PM5 for Windows 7, 8, and 10 have never been made, despite how easy it would be. I think the latest version of Windows that officially supports PM4 and PM5 is Vista.

Yeah, those type of sim-games got outcompeted (basically) by simpler choice systems. Hardly any of those sort of games get made in Japan now. It’s sort of like how in the old days there was the adventure game-based design, with LOOK, MOVE, THINK, etc commands and you’d actually have to pick actions for your character to take. Those died out a long time ago and they’re never coming back.

There might be hope for the older formats, due to Western VN creators. Japan might have abandoned the old styles, but I’ve seen English indie games doing them. Not sure if this is because Western gamers prefer them, or the West is merely going through the same “evolution steps” as the Japanese and will drop them after catching up.