What ???? games do you want from Japan?

![J-List's Megumi](upload://nUi2iQOo9bVF2GyG3SV1cE3wpE3.jpeg)

It's no surprise we work pretty close with J-List on many projects. They're very supportive of visual novels and like to give lots of PR to our game releases. Thanks guys! Just a small plug: if you didn't know, they ship Japanese games straight from Japan, and often get asked by fans to carry new titles. Some people play for the story, while others play to learn Japanese.

Do you play visual novels in Japanese? What's your favorite past, current and upcoming titles?

Sure, I play them all the time! It's literally my job!

Anyone who wants to see the Japanese games J-List sells can view these links

Japanese games in update order

http://www.jlist.com/search/810/windows/new

The same titles, in "wishlist" or "sales" order (so you can see what people plan to buy)

http://www.jlist.com/search/810/windows/wishes/1

http://www.jlist.com/search/810/windows/sales/1

I mainly play titles with gameplay in Japanese, especially RPGs. My favorite developers are Eushully, Alicesoft, Ninetail, Softhouse Chara, Escu:de, and GIGA. I also play NTR titles in Japanese, especially because they're non-existent in English. My favorite NTR developer is ELF.

If you're serious about promoting visual novels for language learners, you should consider making a guide for text hooking and language parsing, perhaps even with tips for specific titles. As it is now, pirate sites are the main resources for this. If people are introduced to this niche through pirate sites, they're unlikely to go out and buy games from you. People typically have one of two resources: money or time. If they have the money to buy Japanese imports from you, they probably don't have the time/patience to puzzle out how text hooking and parsing works from scratch, and vice versa.

In my opinion if we’re talking adult content wise Resort Boin is one of the games I would most recommend you license and translate. At the time of release it was an absolute favorite on message boards, probably due to how beautiful happo bijin’s art is and the fact that overall it’s pretty clean by eroge standards.

Other probably smaller but traditional yet beutiful eroge would include ai no chikara and ai no katachi, as they’re older now they might be easier to acquire.

It’s a shame illusion won’t work with you though because there’s got to be more international fans than there are in Japan and here everyone is just stealing their content for free when they could profit greatly from working with you.

I think licensing Starless was a good move. I think anything from sei shoujo is a safe bet and making the changes you intend to are probably going to widen the appeal (although I understand from the backlash from the hardcore fans I think ultimately it will be a good decision).

I would say the best way to make an eroge as a learning tool (may not be ideal to implement) would be to have the game in Japanese with the option to put the mouse over the cursor of a kanji and see the furigana of said kanji, allowing the learner to look it up on a tablet or other dictionary like tool. Then secondly you should have an option on the page to just change the text on that page to english to show the entire translation for those who give up on difficult sentences.

Ah, Elf, that brings me back. I remember when all we wanted was to do Elf games, but they were never willing. Along the way I realized that translating games that had already been pirated by 100% of fans might prove difficult, too, though it was academic.

Taiyaki, I am a fan of that artist, the Boin series is great. Your idea about Japanese versions is good too. Who knows, we may try that someday?

"I would say the best way to make an eroge as a learning tool (may not be ideal to implement) would be to have the game in Japanese with the option to put the mouse over the cursor of a kanji and see the furigana of said kanji, allowing the learner to look it up on a tablet or other dictionary like tool."

Freeware generalized text parsing tools that work with most PC VNs already exist that do exactly what you describe--plus they look up the word for you too. If JAST could integrate this functionality into their Japanese-language imports, they'd have a winning product. Seriously. I'm sure there's a sizeable market for easy-to-use tools that let people with basic Japanese language skills play and learn from VNs. As it is now, getting into this hobby requires very specialized knowledge and a lot of persistence. I sometimes spend hours trying to figure out how to get a single game to hook correctly with existing tools.

"Then secondly you should have an option on the page to just change the text on that page to english to show the entire translation for those who give up on difficult sentences."

That's utopian: it requires a lot more work to appease a much smaller audience than the crowd that buys English-language VNs. If you're going to manually translate a title, then there's not much point in trying to cater to the import crowd anymore.

???????????3???? and ???????????666??? actually impressed me with their writing. I wouldn't mind seeing an official translation for them at some point, so far I've relied on basic knowledge plus machine translation.

Managed to get them as part of the Crowd Gold Box 2013 collection. The only Crowd game I haven't been able to import yet is ????v?????! which slipped past my radar by being on their Petit Crowd section. Still kicking myself for that one. Doesn't look like anything special, but it's more of an issue of having a complete set.