What is this called?

This is another of those questions that comes from trying to learn a new language and culture. Recently when using one of those study books that is tied to audio CD’s and such to help me learn Japanese, there was a picture of something I have often seen in anime and manga, but like the previous object asked about, one that never seems to be given a name.

My apologies for asking here yet again, but this is the one place I figure if anyone is likely to know what this is from just a description and one picture, it is here, since once again searching for the name of something without it’s name is not easy. Anyway thanks and here is the description followed by a link to a picture.

It looks like cut sheets of paper, cut very thin, narrow at the bottom widening toward the top, almost like a cross between a whip or fan. It is wrapped at the bottom to hold all the sheets together and also offer a handle to hold.

This time I have found a picture it is what Kaname from Full Metal Panic is holding on the cover of this book. This is the only time I have seen the picture in a place I can access without knowing the name of the object. Thanks in advance for any help.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-22-2004).]

It’s called a harisen. It’s basically just a paper fan used to beat people with.

------------------
精神 の 神

That is a halisen. Or, at least that’s what they say here. Also, Yuu from Comic Party carries one of those. (OK, those links aren’t from ComiPa nor from To Heart, but, you know…)

Thank you and those are interesting links.

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
[B]Recently when using one of those study books that is tied to audio CD's and such to help me learn Japanese [B]

Hey SCDawg, I hate to be a pain in the arse, but could I ask what you are using to study/learn Japanese and how is it working for you? I'm pondering trying to get into it and tackle learning it as well, but before I push out money I would like to get some opinions on software/books, etc., that are being used that actually have been useful...

Thanks!

There are actually two media’s other then the book, which is more or less a variation on the idea of a my first reader, that I am using. One is a 2 CD Set for the computer by Instant Immersion which includes “The Euro Method” for both the cds “Talk Now! Japanese” and “World Talk Japanese”. This is proving useful to me in backing up what I learn from the audio cd’s also by Instant Immersion. The CD’s come with printable dictionaries, that give pictures and the word in both Kanji and Romanized formats. For now however my focus is learning to understand the words when they are heard and not so much the Kanji symbols.

As for the audio only CD’s, this method is the primary one being used, it is an 8-CD set, which starts off simple on the alphabet, sounds, pronunciation tips while teaching you words, short to longer phrases, letting you see patterns in where words fall, types of words fall etc. It is perhaps a little more challenging since they truly immerse you in the language almost from the start. While they start with some translations as the CD’s progress you are sometimes thrown in the middle having to figure out words from the context of the sentence, much like many of us learned our own first language. They also give interesting little cultural tidbits on these CD’s often tied to the phrase just learned.

Strangely with this program while there is no question I am understanding and able to give responses to the CD, only one to talk to that speaks Japanese at the moment, I am still not learning all of the Kanji symbols of the words so reading some Kanji is presently harder then understanding the spoken word, though with the help of the first CD set for the computer I can easily look up the symbols and learn them in that manner, which to me seems easier since the word is already known. For now my focus is on being able to hold a conversation more then read texts and for the purpose of holding a conversation, or at least understanding anime without the subtitles, it is working excellently. So I do highly recommend both, with the idea that “The Euro Method” Instant Immersion Japanese 8 Audio CD Deluxe Edition is what is working the best for me, though admittedly supported by the computer CD’s with their printable dictionaries.

In case you were curious and I can e-mail you with where these were purchased if that helps and how much they cost but combined they were under 40.00 U.S. dollars not including tax.

quote:
Originally posted by ScorpioMysterica:
I'm pondering trying to get into it and tackle learning it as well, but before I push out money I would like to get some opinions on software/books, etc., that are being used that actually have been useful...
I don't know whether you'd be interested in other alternatives, but here are some of the learning materials my school uses.

Textbook: Basic Functional Japanese by the Japan Times. [img]http://members.aol.com/sokogakuen/bfj.jpg[/img]
The nice thing about this book is that all the audio tapes used for dialogs and drills are available online here. You can either download them to a computer or mp3 player.

Workbook: Handy KATAKANA Workbook by Pearson Custom Publishing. Here are some good online programs for practicing your kana (kanji usually comes later)
hiragana brush strokes
hiragana writing tutor
basic hiragana chart
kana quiz

Both books are available through Kinokinuya, an international bookstore chain.

Personal observation - four years study of German, Latin and classical Greek didn't begin to prepare me for the difficulty level I've experienced with Japanese. If you want to gain any sort of proficiency, be prepared to undertake daily study with lots of exercises. I can't even imagine trying to learn this language without an instructor and the structure of a classroom, but ganbatte!

[This message has been edited by perigee (edited 07-23-2004).]

I am actually finding it easier without the instructor myself though there is no one to help, it is easier to learn in the method best for you since you are not tied into a class structure of learning, but I agree, from what little I have learned so far has come from daily study.

In some ways too because it is so different while it is that much harder it is also easier since there are few words which sound like words I already know from English.

Is that books store online or a place to get those books? What I am finding is that there seems to be no limit to what can be helpful in learning Japanese.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-23-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Is that books store online or a place to get those books? What I am finding is that there seems to be no limit to what can be helpful in learning Japanese.
I've been told that Kinokinuya is the Barnes & Noble of Japan. The only US branch stores I'm aware of are in New York and on the West Coast. You can probably order the given books from Amazon.

Thank you both of you, I’ll look into all of this tomorrow and monday sometime when I actually have a day off work.