what titles do you hope jast usa annouces

Ah, but that wasn’t what was disputed. Certainly, the effects of fan translations on subsequent sales of legitimately licensed product can be debated. However, even there, I have other evidence: at ACen one year an industry spokesman told me that they noticed a very curious effect for Nuku Nuku: After the legit release passed up the fansubbed releases, sales went up. They actually sold more copies of the last few volumes than they did of the first one. He then explained that this hardly ever happens, because people will get the first volume to see if they like something, then decide they don’t and drop it - FAR more frequently than they will jump into a series right before the end.

But that wasn’t the question. What was disputed was the idea that it would happen at all:

So I provided evidence that it, in fact, has already happened. Moving the goalposts isn’t fair :slight_smile:

Hmmm its a false and true statement.
I mean, maybe not on eroge but on fansubbed Ero Anime you often see Japanese posting them on Japanese board, seeding torrent, Winny/Share version etc…Mostly because western video encoding quality is far better than them since the fansubbing is very well developped here (and almost doesn’t exist in Japan)… Which it’s strange since they have easily access to the iso and got the best internet speed in the world.

Umarekawari didn’t move any goalposts. My post pretty clearly said he was wrong (which he obviously was, I mean, seriously… I’m amazed he even said that). I was asking something else of my own volition.

I’d certainly argue that a legitimate translation would achieve far more additional sales than a fan translation. Whether these additional sales are worth the developer’s time and effort working with a localization company is another story.

Ah. True enough.

I’d argue that unofficial fan translation patches probably induce more piracy than legitimate translations, because the level of technical sophistication to know how to install patches and so on (which you need for a fan translation) is about the same as to find pirate installations. (Yes, even this is beyond many.) And the extra installation steps involved are an annoyance - the pirates will slipstream the patch into the pirate download, making it easier to get the pirated game up and running.

In general the more technical barriers there are, the more likely people are to say “screw it” and download the pirated version.

I said notable.

Ergo, people are still going to pirate it either way, and the existence of an English patch does not cause a significant rise in the piracy rate.

Most English patches are for Japanese titles already popular and already being torrented in the States and elsewhere.

Generally, most consumers will not be aware of fan-made patches unless they are the same type to frequently download/play Japanese games anyway.

In most cases, the existence of a patch is not a deciding factor in piracy rates. You’ll see more of a relation with popular companies and well-publicized titles. There is no math or market research that shows fan translations increase piracy by a significant amount.

Besides, people still download official English translations, so to blame a fan patch for a piracy tread is pointless.

can we please get back on topic this tread is about releases not piracy

Problem with 3 methods to conquer the world and Alternative 2 is neither will work under Windows 7 x64.

If you ask me, that’s a non-issue, or at least should be. The Sekai wo Seifuku FD advertises Windows 7 compatibility and the engine is identical; backporting should be trivial in this case (and it seems to be fairly common in localisation anyway)

If you don’t have Windows 7 Professional (and the integrated XP Mode), then you have my condolences.

Or the Ultimate edition (with the integrated XP Mode), for that matter. That’s why I never recommend getting the “Home Premium” edition of Windows 7 if you’re into gaming of any sort–You can’t get the Virtual XP Mode.

I have Ultimate.

I tested under XP Virtual PC mode.

Still borked.

Triple booting Ubuntu, Windows 7, and XP now, XP solely for those two games.

errrr… http://www.virtualbox.org/ is enough for Eroge.

That’s odd, the game works in XP but not in XP mode? Is this common?

Actually, given what I’ve read about how XP mode in Windows 7 works, I’m not surprised that problems might still be encountered. Microsoft didn’t design the virtual XP thing for games, even simple ones.

Haven’t the time to config it.

XP Mode is Microsoft Virtual PC. It simulates an Intel P2 processor and 440BX motherboard. If a program can run on that hardware, it will run in XP Mode or Virtual PC. Maybe not on the default VPC settings, but the instructional code guarantees it can run… which is why you can install all sorts of operating systems using XP Mode, that Microsoft had no intention of anyone trying to run.

In fact, you can overclock XP Mode, if you’ve got Visual Basic and the Developer’s Kit.

IMHO, for you to go through all that, it sounds like there’s a compatibility issue with hardware assisted virtualization on the host board, if XP Mode didn’t work.

Out of curiosity, what’s your board and cpu?

I’ll see if my friend lets me borrow his copy of 3 Methods, and try running it in virtual mode on my rig this weekend…

my guess is the lack of win7 support could be a reason why jast cut off relations with crowd

Oo

It take less time that doing an useless triple boot and take less HDD space.
Well, that’s what i was doing with my old PC : Debian + a VM with XP 32 pro.(Well i’m still doing it, since this is now my back up PC for playing old game that Seven don’t like)

Won’t work, Japanese gamers have noticed neither of them work in 7 64 bit.

My rig:

Operating System
		MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
	CPU
		AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+	
		Brisbane 65nm Technology
	RAM
		2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 375MHz (5-5-5-18)
	Motherboard
		EVGA  113-M2-E113 (Socket AM2 )
	Graphics
		Acer X193W+ @ 1680x1050
		256MB nForce 730a (nVidia)	
		768MB GeForce 9600 GSO (XFX Pine Group)	
	Hard Drives
		977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (IDE)	
		733GB Seagate ST3750640AS ATA Device (Unknown Interface)	
	Optical Drives
		HP DVD Writer 1070r ATA Device
	Audio
		Realtek High Definition Audio