Windows 10 Testing

Hi, all!

In the past, the forum has always launched a thread whenever a new version of Windows has come available to test existing JAST titles on the new software. With the Windows 10 release beginning today, I’d like to invite anyone who feels inclined to report on what games do and don’t work well with the new version. I haven’t gotten my own Win10 download yet, but I plan to install it once it’s available.

A couple of requests to keep things organized and not redundant:

1. Read first to see if anyone else has already covered what you’re about to cover.
  2. Play around on the game 15-30 minutes on regular Windows 10. Any problems? If so, can you give specifics?
  3. If you do encounter problems, does running the program in compatibility mode fix it? (You can use compatibility mode by right-clicking on the .exe file)

Again, just posting this here for whoever wants to share. You have the gratitude of your peers, gentlemen and gentlewomen.

Little Busters works great!
Rewrite works great, If your upgrading you are going to have reinstall rewrite or it wont work.
Symphonic rain opens up fine but when you start it there is no text and none of the old fixes work.
most of Jast’s older title that are currently being released in bundle will work but will have to be reinstalled do to a registry error. all of Key’s VNs work, Euphoria works great so does Fraternite and Sado Bu. Ef works fine. School days HQ and Cross days work fine, Cross channel work fine after reinstalling ( install in compatibility mode) Steins;gate and Chaos;head work, Gore screaming show works great, 07th Expansion games all work great, G senjou no maou and Sharin no kuni work, Fate/staynight works great, Ever 17 works great it run flawlessly ( It used to crash all the time on windows 8.1) Artificial Academy 2 works great but you have to reinstall it. Remember to back up you save date because for a lot of these it wont carry over if you upgrade.

Right after i wrote this Ever 17 crashed it not that big of deal if this occurs just restart and it should work again.

Hitomi my stepsister works fine. except it Crashes at the end of the credits.

Thanks for the testing thus far, Makina!

I used to have problems with Hitomi even on Windows 7. There was a “music loop” bug where BGM would fade out prematurely, but then the 15-second fadeout would loop indefinitely and finally crash the game when you switched scenes. Running it in compatibility mode (Windows XP) made it run perfectly, though.

I’ll probably be upgrading to 10 this weekend (finally got my invite), so I’ll try to join in this testing soon as well.

Make sure to Back up your save data before upgrading.

I made video testing out Windows 10 game capture on Little Busters! - YouTube

Brave Soul- Run in XP Compatibility mode to get the Opening Movie to play Correctly.

Run in Windowed mode. (If you run in Full Screen, the game will crash after the Opening movie finishes playing (if you run it) and the actual game itself will run like molasses, although DX 12 drivers have run the game the best, it still runs best in Windowed mode.

@sanahtlig and @Aurora3500 looked at running Yumina the Ethereal on Win 10 here:
discuss.jastusa.com/discussion/255075/yumina-windowed-mode-startup-error

I have it running on my machine. I did need to configure the display settings a few times to get it right.

Incidentally, I’ve had to do all kinds of things to get the mouse to work in Dawn of War and to resize my Photoshop, so it’s possible that the same fixes for those might work elsewhere too.

@Gobbo said:
sanahtlig and Aurora3500 looked at running Yumina the Ethereal on Win 10 here:
I’m not sure if you track the Steam forums, but several users there have complained about issues with Seinarukana which may or may not be linked to Windows 10. I have Windows 10 and the non-Steam version works fine for me. I attempted to troubleshoot their issues but was unable to isolate the problem. At least one of the issues was shared by multiple users.

@sanahtlig said:

Gobbo said:
sanahtlig and Aurora3500 looked at running Yumina the Ethereal on Win 10 here:
I’m not sure if you track the Steam forums, but several users there have complained about issues with Seinarukana which may or may not be linked to Windows 10. I have Windows 10 and the non-Steam version works fine for me. I attempted to troubleshoot their issues but was unable to isolate the problem. At least one of the issues was shared by multiple users.

Could you post a link or links? Especially if we know the user is using Windows 10, even if it isn’t a Windows 10 problem, we might be able to find a solution.

There’s a fix for MIDI sound mentioned by @“Prisoner 416”. I have not tried it, but you can find details here: discuss.jastusa.com/discussion/255211/a-solution-to-modern-windows-midi-control-has-been-found

@Gobbo said:
There’s a fix for MIDI sound mentioned by @“Prisoner 416”. I have not tried it, but you can find details here: discuss.jastusa.com/discussion/255211/a-solution-to-modern-windows-midi-control-has-been-found

It’s golden, mate, I spent years searching for a fix that allowed me to turn down MIDI volume so I could enjoy the voice and sound effects.

Plus, to be honest, with the soundpacks, it sounds ten times better then Windows default MIDI.

Discussing Demonbane’s Cinematics on Windows 10: https://discuss.jastusa.com/discussion/255219/demonbanes-cinematics

Discussing School Days black screen issue: https://discuss.jastusa.com/discussion/255222/school-days-black-screen-bug-for-windows-10

jacksprat1 said:
Hi, all!

In the past, the forum has always launched a thread whenever a new version of Windows has come available to test existing JAST titles on the new software. With the Windows 10 release beginning today, I’d like to invite anyone who feels inclined to report on what games do and don’t work well with the new version. I haven’t gotten my own Win10 download yet, but I plan to install it once it’s available.

A couple of requests to keep things organized and not redundant:

1. Read first to see if anyone else has already covered what you’re about to cover.
  2. Play around on the game 15-30 minutes on regular Windows 10. Any problems? If so, can you give specifics?
  3. If you do encounter problems, does running the program in compatibility mode fix it? (You can use compatibility mode by right-clicking on the .exe file)

Again, just posting this here for whoever wants to share. You have the gratitude of your peers, gentlemen and gentlewomen.

Thank you, for sharing.