Windows 7 includes free WinXP!!!

Well… sorta…

All the technical stuff is here.

For those who just want to cut to the chase: it would appear that Win7 is going to include a license for WinXP and a means to run that environment via virtual mode. It won’t be included on the box DVD - you’ll have to download the feature (but it will be free… just take bandwidth and time). So then some of you are asking, “What’s the point? I already own XP.” What it means, is that Win7 will have a surefire means to run XP compatible programs. Remember the horror we Vista 64-bit owners felt, when stuff (including our precious bgames) wouldn’t run on it? Not so with Win7. Of course this is all moot, if you’re not going to upgrade to Win7 and whatnot… :stuck_out_tongue:

But yea… if someone asks, “I can’t run Princess Waltz in Windows 7,” just tell 'em to run it in the WinXP virtual mode. :wink:

Take note that this free XP mode is ONLY included with Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

wouldnt running an OS in virtual mode slow things down because its nested in another OS?

I’m just stabbing in the dark here but I get the feeling XP programs will run using XP’s native drivers and as such isn’t the bad kind of virtualization known as emulation and would be something like running Vista and Linux on the same environment (Not emulating/virtualizing either OS though one or the other), which doesn’t cause decrease in system performance (Assuming your computer can handle 2 OSes at once).

I’m just speaking from a linux + windows perspective, I don’t notice a difference in processing speed running both in the same environment (1 OS per monitor). I would imagine they are tweaking it to run like Vista’s super-fetch and not run XP all the time but activate environmental parameters of XP into a shell when you need to call on them to run an XP program.

Worse case scenario it would just run things similar to WINE in linux only better since both would be actual windows so I can’t see how it would be bad in any way. It should be as fast running an XP program on your old XP comp (Or faster on today’s comps) to run an XP program in that XP “Virtual” mode, but who knows it’s microsoft we’re dealing with :stuck_out_tongue:

(Correct me if I’m wrong I did absolutely no research into this)

The way I’ve been told, Windows 7 is specially designed to support virtual environments. When you install and run something in the XP Mode, it’s not like the current Virtual Windows setup, where you’re running one version of Windows in another version of Windows. This new XP Mode is an “encapsulation” thing, like the Cedega or Wine technologies. Since the XP Mode is designed to run intensive word processing or SQL type databases smoothly, theoretically moderate to low “PC power intensive” programs should run fine. Plus a computer running Windows 7 (at least those brand new from a store), should have bitching hardware compared to WinXP era systems.

Moreover, unlike the current Virtual PC, the XP Mode lets you run programs on the host system. That is to say, you don’t have to be in the Virtual PC to run the XP software. You’ll be running it in Windows 7 (through the XP Mode), so it looks and feels like you really installed it in Windows 7 (but didn’t). Basically everything is integrated:

Trying not to get too hyped… but if it only works 50% as good as it sounds, this should function perfectly for bgamers (since bgames don’t require massive PC power).

I guess there really WAS a reason MS bought that company that specialized in virtualization software a few years ago. This in fact is a good reason for me to get Windows 7, as I have a considerable amount of old software that runs under XP but I doubt would work on Vista (Planescape Torment being one a friend of mine needed my help to get running). This is awesome.

Have them emulate Windows 98 or 95 as well, and I will be happy.

Sounds like Microsoft had a solid idea for once. I was pissed when I “upgraded” to XP and my DOS games no longer worked (previous OS was Win98). I’m actually looking forward to Windows 7. It seems like they’re focusing on what matters (performance and compatibility) instead of gimmicks and silly aesthetics. Although I must say, it is SO much easier installing new hardware and drivers in XP than it was in 95 and 98. That used to be a nightmare.

Similar situation here too. I actually stopped using Vista because so many of my programs were either incompatible or didnt run properly. I amactually looking forward to Win7