Windows 8.1 testing

I thought that I’d better start this since the latest update to the windows OS has come with several problems.

Ever17: Crashes as soon as the game window appears (no change in compatibility settings has helped, so it might be something that has been removed in the update).

Ai Yori Aoshi: Works, but the original font is missing so all the text beyond the title screen is almost unreadable (again this is likely to have been caused by the font being removed in the upgrade).

Boob Wars: Works properly with no changes in settings required.

Princess Waltz: Works properly with no changes in settings required.

After some investigation of the event logs, it turns out that the problems with ever17 might be hardware related instead of a problem with the OS (the exception code in the logs is identical to others I’ve gotten from other applications that have crashed for other reasons).

I’m going to install ever17 on another computer that has windows 8.1 and see if it is just something in my laptop that is the problem.

Brave Soul: Run in XP compatibility mode, Do Not play in full screen or the game will crash.

School Days HQ: Installer hangs during installation. Manually copying the files from the DVD to the corresponding game directory makes the game play normally.

I’ve done some more digging into the ever17 crash issue, and it does seem that it’s either the registry entry (unlikely since the game doesn’t need any) has been damaged or DEP is kicking in or whatever and is causing the crash, so I’ll actually get my head back into this issue and see if I can get it working again.