Windows 8 testing

Since Doug isn’t doing any windows 8 testing, I’ll start this one for testing since I just completed the upgrade a little while ago (Note: unless stated the test is done on a installation of the game that was done in windows 7 and transferred to windows 8 ).

Moero Downhill Night 2 - Works perfectly with no changes in setting required

Katawa Shoujo - Works perfectly with no changes in setting required

Ever 17 - Works, but takes at least 15 seconds for the initial settings menu to show in desktop mode and the quality issues with the opening video are the same as they were with windows 7

Ai Yori Aoshi - Works with same delay in the initial settings menu as Ever 17, but the quality of the opening video is even worse then it was in windows 7

More tests to be listed once they’re done.

One little note of warning for those planning on upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8 whilst keeping all applications, settings and documents.

The search system in windows 8 will only search for programs that are in the start menu and nowhere else.

If a game has an icon on the desktop, then you can use the right click menu to pin it to the start menu (it’ll then start showing up in searches).

Little my maid, Brave soul, Let’s meow meow, princess waltz, Critical point, Snow sakura, Casual romance club, Pretty soldier wars AD 2048 and Yume miru kusuri all work in windows 8 with their windows 7 setting where required.

Snow drop is currently not compatible with windows 8 (only the audio of the initial startup video can be heard and the game then goes unresponsive), but I’ve got a few more things to try before I can 100% confirm incompatibility with the main OS and switch to client hyper-v to find a solution.

For those of you who want / need a Start Button in Windows 8

Classic Shell is a solution if you just want something you are familiar with.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

(No Still haven’t upgraded yet.)

I’ve still got no dice on getting snow drop to play ball with windows 8, but considering it doesn’t work from the start (when the brand.avi video runs) I’ll try removing that video and try again (if it is the video causing it, then I’ll have to find a way to get it working with the video (or videos if the other file is affected) in place).

Idols Galore (download version) is another one in the no changes required category.

Could it be a codec issue? Windows 8 doesn’t have any native BD / DVD Playback support, so it might be a case of getting the right player for it.

My laptop is running windows 8 pro with media centre pack (which brings native dvd/bd playback) and I’m still having problems with it, but I’m finally able to give my final report.

Snow Drop - Remove the brand.avi file from the folder the game is installed to so the game runs properly (it’ll complain about the file not being there, but the games main menu will appear afterwards), and use the same compatibility setting as windows 7 to get the intro video to play.

I’ll go back to my desktop system and have a good look at the file (windows XP seems to give some more information about the file then windows 8 does), and most likely convert the file to see if it is a codec issue within windows 8.

It looks like windows 8 doesn’t include the codec that the video part of the brand.avi file was coded in, so I’ll try and convert it to something that is more commonly used for video to see if it helps.

Come see me tonight (CD), Secret wives club (download), Tokimeki check-in (CD), Kango shicyauzo 2 (download), The Sagara family (CD), Piece of wonder and Hitomi -my stepsister- all work in windows 8 with no issues (those that required compatibility in windows 7 wouln most likely need those settings here).

I’ve also installed the Japanese language pack so I can at least test my only Japanese language game, and I’ll also go about testing the games in the JAST USA memorial collection since I’ve heard that 16-bit games can be run on a 64-bit operating system.

OK I broke down and got Windows 8 for my PC.

Notes:

Brave Soul
-Needs XP compatibility mode to play the intro movie, which, if you click out of or when it finishes, causes the game to crash. (This didn’t happen in 7)
-Runs like crap even with the Anti Aliasing goodies turned off. (Suspect it’s a Direct X or driver issue issue, Actually got decent frame rates in 7 with the graphic goodies turned off, not so with 8 )

Crescendo

-Will not execute in Win 7 or 8 64 bit
-Got it to run on my 32 bit, Win 7, (Single core P4 3 GHZ, 2gb of RAM) with 98/Me compatibility.

Critical Point and Little My Maid

-Works fine, no compatibility configurations required

I’ve already mentioned brave soul, critical point, and little my maid but I didn’t have any issues with brave soul.

Like I said it’s probably a driver issue, since nvidia hasn’t done an WHQL driver release since the windows 8 launch (have a 660ti). Let me try the beta driver and see if it fixes the issue.

Hi, let me pitch in as well.

Kana Little Sister and Family Project work perfectly.

Couldn’t get Brave Soul to initiate, will investigate more.

This is the patched version of Brave Soul by the way

Nvidia 310.33 (Beta) drivers increases framerates a little but it still runs choppy.

Update: Running the game in windowed mode seems to be the trick. No crash outs on the video, no lag on the game graphics. Not an ideal solution but it works. (Run in XP Compatibility mode)

Do You Like Horny Bunnies 1 & 2

Chain Patched with the H fix Patch

-No Compatibility issues at all, runs fine.

Lightning Warrior Raidy 1 & 2

Tsuki & Virgin roster

Works fine no problems

Sid depending on what Anti-virus solution you use it might detect BS.EXE as a virus and disable it. (most likely due to the filename being the same name as a known trojan Horse virus) just exclude the Brave_S
folder on the optical drive and where ever you install the game to, from your virus scanner.

Thanks Doug… the game works perfectly now :slight_smile: