World of Darkness (WoD)? What is it?

I’ve been reading about WoD on this board and was wondering what the hell is WoD . Seems like its something based off of Vampire: The Masquerade?

[ 10-27-2006, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Mei ]

Other way around. Vampire: The Masquerade is but a single facet in the setting of the World of Darkness. There are quite a few acronyms here but I’ll explain them all. WoD is a PnP RPG–a Pen and Paper Role Playing Game, also known as tabletop role play, like Dungeons and Dragons, but the World of Darkness takes place here on earth and is hidden (for the most part) from the eyes of humanity, not in some parallel fantasy world where anything goes.

There are currently two WoD settings, Old World of Darkness (OWod) and New World of Darkness (NWoD). Old WoD is fantastic but White Wolf (the publishers) discontinued it, and New WoD is the crap that replaced Old WoD. Because everybody hates NWoD, most people who simply use the term “WoD” are actually referring to the Old version. The World of Darkness is one of the most complete tabletop game settings ever created and consists of these book series:

A World of Darkness
Vampire: The Masquerade
Dark Ages Vampire
Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Dark Ages Werewolf
Mage: The Ascension
Dark Ages Mage
Kindred of the East
Changling: The Dreaming
Demon: The Fallen
Mummy: The Resurection
Hunter: The Reckoning
Wraith: The Oblivion

Vampire alone boasts 193 books. I own 168 of them. I have all of the core rule books and all or most of the supplements for Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Hunter and Wraith. And these are not magazines, they are BOOKS. Each book generally has 80-600 pages. Needless to say, WoD is VERY thorough, yet it is open ended and allows for a massive amount of creation on the part of the players.

As I said before, New Wod is crap. Now we have:

Mind’s Eye Theatre – spinoff
Vampire: The Requiem – spinoff
Werewolf: The Forsaken – spinoff
Mage: The Awakening – spinoff
Promethean: The Created – new (actually rather cool)
Exalted – new (total crap)

Everything except Promethean and Exalted in New WoD is a watered down rehash of the Old. Exalted is bad all by its (new) lonesome, and Promethean is new as well but it looks very promising, actually the only one in the lot. To sum it up, NWoD lacks most of the gothic-punk darkness of the OWoD and now is just punk.

[ 10-27-2006, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Scipoten ]

I’ve played exalted. It really depends upon the GM if its crap or not.

Holy cow that’s a whole lot of books. And you own 168 out of 193! Insane!

Are the computer games in the Vampire: The Masquerade line based off of the PnP game or the other way around?

[ 10-28-2006, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Mei ]

A World of Darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade were started way back in 1993. Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption was made in 2000 and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines was made in 2004. The final nail was driven into the coffin in 2005 when White Wolf discontinued OWoD with the last book in the Vampire series: Gehenna: The Final Night.

True, but that goes for any RPG, wheter it’s WoD, GURPS, D&D, or otherwise. A good Storyteller in the NWoD will create a far more enjoyable game than a bad ST in OWoD. However, I am comparing what White Wolf has published in the past versus what they are publishing now. Exalted falls short compared to such games as Changling, Demon, or Hunter.