X-Change 3 for pre-order!

I think the problem that was mentioned before was that the Japanese company has to spend some time uncensoring CGs and debug the game. In the kind of industry they are, that’s not a good thing. They have to make their games as quickly as possible, or else it could mean their end. There’s a very tight competition.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
I think the problem that was mentioned before was that the Japanese company has to spend some time uncensoring CGs and debug the game. In the kind of industry they are, that's not a good thing. They have to make their games as quickly as possible, or else it could mean their end. There's a very tight competition.

Right. Time spent on us is time not spent on other products that will sell more copies at a higher per-unit price. This constraint applies much less to companies with wild successes like Key or Leaf or Type-Moon, but it's probably still somewhat true even for them.

quote:
I think the problem that was mentioned before was that the Japanese company has to spend some time uncensoring CGs and debug the game. In the kind of industry they are, that's not a good thing. They have to make their games as quickly as possible, or else it could mean their end. There's a very tight competition.

Maybe that applies to games that require redrawing of censored pictures...but there's companies that simply apply a mosaic over the preexisting drawings, which they still possess in their original form (Lamuness mentioned this at some point). Assuming the game doesn't need to made XP compatitible, I don't see why they need to put in any extra effort at all once the decision is made to hand the game off to a localization company. It's like free money. Even if censored cg's do have to be redrawn...come on, it has to be a lot easier to redraw a few areas of a few cg's than it is to make a whole new game, with NEW sprites, NEW cg's, NEW sound, and a NEW storyline. Even if the payback is low, the effort required is lower still. Making a game XP compatible might be complicated, so I don't about that.

Concern about their company's reputation could definitely be a general factor in all cases, though.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 11-23-2004).]

i cant speak for all companies out there but there are cases where they have to redo the entire engine so that you can display english text…yes i know its weird since we only use simple ASCII codes rather than japanese double-byte characters, but believe me, this is true. many programs in japan can only input/accept double-byte strings with no spaces in it (since japanse language have no need for a space between words), but in english we have a space between words and sentences so they have to rework it to accomodate single byte characters and spaces, sometimes its easy to fix sometimes it’s very difficult or impossible (or too much hassle that they refuse to do it)

and that’s what we are faced with for doushin apparently

I thought redesigning the text boxes to accomodate English was the localization company’s job. Or is that just the trend nowadays with games like Brave Soul, and now Doushin?

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 11-23-2004).]

since we dont write the codes, it’s the original company’s job to alter it to our needs

I thought you said Peach Princess had to resize the text boxes for Brave Soul…I must have misunderstood.

ya…the english version needs a bigger text box but it’s crowd’s programmers who do that

Hmm…I guess stuff like that would impede their desire to license out their games, then. It sounds like more of a task then redrawing parts of some cg’s at least.

I wonder if Japanese companies find redrawing censored cg’s to be rather…beneath them, as well, since it violates their social standards. I mean, if you don’t consider your game to be a “pervert game,” yet you have to draw in the nitty gritty to satisfy these crude Americans…

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 11-24-2004).]