X-Change 3 for pre-order!

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Payne:
At this time I don't plan to use Vmate for XC3. I trust that the large file size (2 gb) will help to keep the file sharing down, at least on the FTP type sites.

So, that means one less game that I'd have to buy in japanese AND at japanese prices (usually almost twice as much as yours).

Thanks a lot for these news!

quote:
Originally posted by papillon:
As for "get over it", get over what, not being able to have any more games from GColl? Well, they aren't that great anyway. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Sorry, I'm not paying for a game I can't play.

You certainly have a point there...
* takes a look at his backlog of japanese games *
[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

Why depend on the English game market to determine your choice of b-games to import? We’re either limited by our lack of fluency in Japanese or by the limited amount of games available in English. Why choose a double limitation? Once the decision to import a game has been made, why stick with anything within the English market? Why not get some of the games that the Japanese companies won’t let Peapri or GC translate into English instead?

Err, you are mistaken.

Among my collection of japanese games may be some games from CROWD and Will, all right, but there is no way that I limit myself to them.
I already also have games from ELF, Mink, Key, Softhouse Chara, F&C, Studio e-Go!, Alicesoft… and even a few Doujinsoft-games.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 11-21-2004).]

That’s good. I thought you were saying that you’d import a certain game because the English version has v-mate. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I would think that it’s strange to not want to import the game unless it is release onto the English market with v-mate. Do you have Izumo 2 from Studio E-go? I was wondering if it’s any good or not. It’s too bad they don’t release English subs with their games. They could call themselves Studio Eigo.

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
So, that means one less game that I'd have to buy in japanese AND at japanese prices (usually almost twice as much as yours).

Thanks a lot for these news!

You want X-change 3 so badly that you'd choose it, even in Japanese, over the many other games being released in Japan?

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 11-21-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by bishounen_blue:
Do you have Izumo 2 from Studio E-go? I was wondering if it's any good or not. It's too bad they don't release English subs with their games. They could call themselves Studio Eigo.

Wow. I must be a geek, because I understood that pun.

Seriously, all we have to do now is convince more companies to put English tracks in their releases.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Seriously, all we have to do now is convince more companies to put English tracks in their releases.

You mean Engrish tracks? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img] The whole reason translation companies are usually based in the locale they're translating for is to avoid this. Granted...I still might buy games like Kimi Ga Nozumu Eien if they had Engrish tracks...I guess it would depend on just how bad it is. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] The...exorbitant Japanese prices don't help matters either...

Of course, I’d much prefer the games to get released on the English market. I mean, if every R2 had English subs but there wasn’t an R1 anime market, I wouldn’t have as much anime as I do now simply because I’d have much less for the same amount of money spent. Reguarding the quality of English translations that are included in Japanese domestic products, they aren’t all bad. I have heard that the translations used in Casual Romance Club are not so great. I have not purchased that game, so I don’t know. I’m sure it’s true, though. The subs in Saishu Heiki Kanjo’s R2 release are fine. There are a couple typos here and there but it’s excellent overall. It was fine by me. The English subs used on the R2 version of Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (aka Spirited Away) are excellent. Of course, Studio Ghibli has the funds to make sure everything is nice and neat. So although the quality of the translation varies from title to title, I could only view the idea of more Japanese games including an English translation track (text, NOT voice) as a good thing. Even with a sloppy English translation I can fill some of the gaps with my limited Japanese knowledge and the help of my friend, Canon:

http://store.aikotradingstore.com/cawog50.html

Mommy, my wallet hurts…

[This message has been edited by bishounen_blue (edited 11-21-2004).]

Well, the problem is that if they started releasing more games with English tracks, then those games could never be localized (which results in lower price, and usually a better translation). So more games with English tracks wouldn’t necessarily be better, depending on how you look at it.

quote:
So although the quality of the translation varies from title to title, I could only view the idea of more Japanese games including an English translation track (text, NOT voice) as a good thing.

Oh my…if you thought American English dubbing was bad…just wait until you’ve heard Japanese Engrish dubbing. It’d take the world by storm…possibly rupturing millions of eardrums in the process…

By the way…since we’re on the topic…here’s a download for the “All Your Base Are Belong To Us” video. I think the first part is straight from the original game, but I haven’t played it so I can’t be sure. You can’t call yourself a true fan of Japanese culture until you’ve seen this.

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/video3.shtml

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
Well, the problem is that if they started releasing more games with English tracks, then those games could never be localized (which results in lower price, and usually a better translation). So more games with English tracks wouldn't necessarily be better, depending on how you look at it.

First of all, there are only a few companies that want allow their games to be translated into English, so that theroy doesn't even apply to the vast majority of games. Also, Saikano was localized by Viz even though it already had an English translation, as well as all of the Studio Ghibli films. There are plenty of people who just refuse to buy anything but domestic anime products. But it's not like we'd have to worry about too many Japanese companies putting English tracks into the games that it would hurt the US sales. It could be a problem if it was widespread, but only one game has it so far. It would be nice if some of the big titles that won't come to the US anyway had English translations. Oh well, it won't happen.

quote:
First of all, there are only a few companies that want allow their games to be translated into English, so that theroy doesn't even apply to the vast majority of games. Also, Saikano was localized by Viz even though it already had an English translation, as well as all of the Studio Ghibli films. There are plenty of people who just refuse to buy anything but domestic anime products.

Ah, but you're talking about anime, and I'm talking about games. There's lots of people who will only watch anime dubbed, but that doesn't apply to these games, since no one dubs bishoujo games (Final Fantasy X-2 could be considered a very rare exception). Once a bishoujo game has an English sub track, it will never be localized. Or do you have examples to the contrary?

quote:
But it's not like we'd have to worry about too many Japanese companies putting English tracks into the games that it would hurt the US sales. It could be a problem if it was widespread, but only one game has it so far. It would be nice if some of the big titles that won't come to the US anyway had English translations. Oh well, it won't happen.

I'm not even worrying about the US translation business. I'm looking at it from my perspective (the customer). If they include an English track, which eliminates the possibility of a U.S. localization, then I have to pay more for that game, for what is likely an inferior translation (let's face it: b-game companies don't have the resources of anime companies like Ghibli).

Of course, if there's no possibility of a U.S. localization to begin with, then an English sub track wouldn't hurt anything. Also, I'm just presenting an argument. I didn't say that I'm personally against these English sub-tracks in general. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

quote:
There are plenty of people who just refuse to buy anything but domestic anime products.
Region coding, lack of dubs, higher prices and import requirements deter most would-be buyers.
quote:
But it's not like we'd have to worry about too many Japanese companies putting English tracks into the games that it would hurt the US sales.
They apparently don't consider the export market worth the effort. The makers of CRC claim that English was added to that game's second release for their domestic market. CRC has a very good sub and an intelligible [though partial] dub, btw. If all J-games met that standard, there'd be no need for external localizations. Game makers just don't consider it worthwhile.
quote:
It could be a problem if it was widespread, but only one game has it so far. It would be nice if some of the big titles that won't come to the US anyway had English translations. Oh well, it won't happen.
Silver (Gin-iro) is another dual language game. Its translation is much more engrish than CRC, however. I'd pay a premium for a good J-game with English subtitles. I'd be more than willing to double-dip for a title like Kimi ga Nozomu Eien - which I'm about to begin struggling with in its native language.

[This message has been edited by perigee (edited 11-22-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
If they include an English track, which eliminates the possibility of a U.S. localization, then I have to pay more for that game, for what is likely an inferior translation (let's face it: b-game companies don't have the resources of anime companies like Ghibli).
I question your assumption that English subs created by the game makers would necessarily be inferior. CRC's English is better than that of some localized titles I've seen. As illustrated by your example of Studio Ghibli, it is possible to produce high quality subs if the company wants to and has the resources.

If subbing games were common practice, developers that did it best might realize a tangible profit in export sales. That would encourage better translations overall. If the Japanese market had developed in that way, think of the huge selection of quality games we'd have to choose from today. Sadly, no manufacturer in Japan has had the resources and vision to look beyond its own shores.

[This message has been edited by perigee (edited 11-22-2004).]

I’ve bought 5 Japanese games and none of them have English translations. I know that CRC has an English translation but I didn’t buy it. The price is a big factor. If I’m going to pay high prices then I want the really good games. I’m willing to pay the $40-50 price for games we have here because they have the English translation. I’d get CRC on the English market but I don’t want to pay top dollar for it. English translations aren’t that big of a factor for me as far as import games are concerned, but they help. There are so many games that I’d like to have, but if one of them had an English translation then that game would have priority over the others. In the end, I think that better games in English is what everyone wants. People actually got excited when GC announced Sagura family. “We’re going to release another game with gameplay similar to DYLHB, and it looks like DYLHB!” And people say “This is the game I’ve been waiting for!” I don’t get it.

[This message has been edited by bishounen_blue (edited 11-22-2004).]

quote:
That's good. I thought you were saying that you'd import a certain game because the English version has v-mate.

Nah, that may only happen to "Kazoku Keikaku"...
I have imported some games that are not likely to be ever done by G-Collections (like "Majokko Silk" for example), but I don't plan to buy all the V-Mate-games in japenese just out of spite. I think I can do (and get) better things with my money...

quote:
There's nothing wrong with that, but I would think that it's strange to not want to import the game unless it is release onto the English market with v-mate.

* nods *
That would take my annoyance of not being able to play the english localized versions a bit too far.

quote:
Do you have Izumo 2 from Studio E-go? I was wondering if it's any good or not.

No that one is not yet among my games, but on my wishlist nonetheless. Particularly, because the DVD-edition of Izumo2 also contains Izumo1 and I already thought about that one before.

quote:
It's too bad they don't release English subs with their games. They could call themselves Studio Eigo.

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
quote:
People actually got excited when GC announced Sagura family. "We're going to release another game with gameplay similar to DYLHB, and it looks like DYLHB!" And people say "This is the game I've been waiting for!" I don't get it.

No kidding. I'm not terribly fond of the character designs or the story in DYLHB. Even the fetish focus was a put-off...

It's not quite on my hate list like the X-change series though...yet.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
If subbing games were common practice, developers that did it best might realize a tangible profit in export sales. That would encourage better translations overall. If the Japanese market had developed in that way, think of the huge selection of quality games we'd have to choose from today. Sadly, no manufacturer in Japan has had the resources and vision to look beyond its own shores.

Seriously. -_-

I never did understand why more Japanese companies don't want their games released here. From what I understand, all they have to do is provide coding, uncensored CGs and scripts and then the translation company does all the work and pays them royalties.

It's basically like free money. ^_^;;

I can see how some companies might worry about the quality of the translation and wanting to keep it from being butchered like so many anime have... but if a company has a good record then it's not an issue. >_>

I’m pretty sure it’s the fear of rejection. Image is very important in Japan, maybe even more than many other places in the world. Konami relases games on the US PS2 all the time, but no Tokimeki Memorial. It could easly be done, but why hasn’t it? They might earn some profits, after all the game itself is already made, it just needs to be translated. Tokimeki Memorial is a big name in bishoujo gaming, and they don’t want articles like “Tokimeki Memorial bombs in US market!” all over the gaming news in Japan. That’s probably the biggest reason why the big name games are the one’s we won’t see. I think the English market would be bigger if there wasn’t as much piracy and especially if there wasn’t as much ignorance about these games.

quote:
... and they don't want articles like "Tokimeki Memorial bombs in US market!" all over the gaming news in Japan. That's probably the biggest reason why the big name games are the one's we won't see. I think the English market would be bigger if there wasn't as much piracy and especially if there wasn't as much ignorance about these games.

And from here comes the perverse circle... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img] they are not willing to release or to sale overseas, and people goes pirating... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img] and they are more unwilling to release, and people pirates more.... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img] and the circle goes on and on and on....

"Too much pride ruines everyone".