X-Change 3 Released!

sigh… everyone doesn’t support me…

hey ifound sumthin’ intresting the alternate x-change also released in cd version check at this : www.com-corporation.jp/bas/bas.php?act=prod&jan=4530758030142

Another possible bonus to producing a DVD-only release would be a lower level of pirate downloads. Not a huge reduction, perhaps, but far fewer people have the ability to burn a DVD iso, requiring any leechers to be willing to write off 1.3 Gigs of hard drive space and have the slightly higher technical knowledge needed to mount a virtual drive to run it from. Admittedly, these aren’t huge obstacles these days, but they are detterants.

Well now too since they have DVD burners they can just copy it and give it to friends and such, that is why I still ask if it is really worth it, it’s new and everyone sees benefits, mostly the fact they don’t have to change CD’s, but will we notice a difference, if the answer is no, then I am not sure there is a need for it to be on DVD.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
If a game is Windows-based, it doesn’t matter whether the media is DVD or CD - you get the same features either way.

Maybe I was thinking about DVD games rather then those through Windows, only able to work through Windows, since I can play games that are on DVD now through a DVD player program that works through Windows. I also think some DVD games have more features, they are the few that do but some have more features that bring them perhaps as close as is currently possible to CD games.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-11-2004).]

True, but there is a cost difference involved; 40p for 2 blank CDs vs a couple of quid for a DVD. The virtually ubiquitous CD writer (I’ve just replaced mine for ¬£20) vs the far rarer DVD writers (¬£80 or so). Don’t get me wrong, it’s only a very marginal thing, but if even, say 10% of leachers can’t be bothered with the extra faffing about, that’s got to be a good thing.

Sweet, 50% of the trans is already done. Just make sure we don’t get another printer mishap It would be nice if we could get the game early next year

not being so pesimistic, but as long the pirate want to pirate the game there is no game that can’t be copied. I mean though the dvd copier tools are expensive, they still do their activities, cause they don’t copy it for only 1 or 2 copies.

Yes, but it would still mean trouble for the actual leechers who download the pirate copy.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
Yes, but it would still mean trouble for the actual leechers who download the pirate copy. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know, they say that the criminals are always one step ahead of the law or will soon overcome any trouble, so being more negative it means trouble for about two days until a way to overcome it is found, which is probably being worked on as we speak somewhere, where these types of DVD are more common then CD games.

But think of the casual leecher. The type that goes on the Internet once in a while to get a game. Then they see all this trouble they have to go through just to play it, and they give up and do something else, or download another game.

quote:
But think of the casual leecher. The type that goes on the Internet once in a while to get a game. Then they see all this trouble they have to go through just to play it, and they give up and do something else, or download another game.

Ah but the casual leecher will have the hard work done for him. The did hards don't want the work so they will make the path as easier as possible as quick as possible for them, thus the casual leecher "benefits".

Its not like your going to stop piracy no matter what you do. You just have to hope people will buy your product and appreciate what you do. I for one am eagerly anticipating Xchange 3 and will definitely buy it. I am fervently hoping for early next year, even though I am sure thats a foolish wish :P.

Yeah and while knowing someone will always pirate games is no reason not to up security when the chance comes, it’s just a question to me if this will truly work as well as they hope, if the anti-pirate idea is one of their main reasons for going to DVD. I know there are other “benefits” that also played a part.

Like 90 pct of the people on these boards at one time I played pirated B games. I won’t say how you can in case someone who wants to pirate is listening, but its very easy to play a game without burning it to a CD/DVD if you have an image. Now about the DVDs. Look people, you have to get with the times and upgrade eventually. DVDs aren’t a passing fad in technology. I wonder if people had this same argument when games changed from Floppys to CDs.

Yep. Though the advantages were a little bit more apparent in that particular technological jump. The speed of change might actually be slower this time, though; DVD drives have been readily available for, what, a couple of years now? Yet the mainstream industry still tends to offer games primarily on CD.

I think the reason games are still generally released on CD is that it’s the least common denominator. DVD drives read CDs, so you don’t lose customers at either end.

I recall that when CD drives were relatively new, software could be purchased on either floppy or CD. That continued until the number of floppies required made packaging difficult and installation tedious. Since current DVDs only hold 6 or 7 CDs worth of data, it may be another generation before CDs are obsolete.

[This message has been edited by perigee (edited 08-17-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Laslow:
Like 90 pct of the people on these boards at one time I played pirated B games. I won't say how you can in case someone who wants to pirate is listening, but its very easy to play a game without burning it to a CD/DVD if you have an image. Now about the DVDs. Look people, you have to get with the times and upgrade eventually. DVDs aren't a passing fad in technology. I wonder if people had this same argument when games changed from Floppys to CDs.

As said before it is not an unwillingness to upgrade it is the blind acceptance of so many people to this happening virtually out of the blue with a translation game at least, not counting the ones only on DVD, that is of slight concern to me too, yes you always have to upgrade eventually because people always blindly accept it as inevitable. [edit] It never hurt anyone to question if this was needed and if it was really all that bad changing CD's every say 30 to 45 or so minutes of gameplay, to give just one thing that people say is better with DVD's no need to take time to change. A little extra time to do something never hurt anyone.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-17-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:

As said before it is not an unwillingness to upgrade it is the blind acceptance of so many people to this happening virtually out of the blue with a translation game at least, not counting the ones only on DVD, that is of slight concern to me too, yes you always have to upgrade eventually because people always blindly accept it as inevitable. [edit] It never hurt anyone to question if this was needed and if it was really all that bad changing CD's every say 30 to 45 or so minutes of gameplay, to give just one thing that people say is better with DVD's no need to take time to change. A little extra time to do something never hurt anyone.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 08-17-2004).]

Sorry but I guess i'm lazy. I've played games where you have to change the CD every 30 minutes (Myst *shudder*). Besides the annoyance of opening the drive, removing CD 5, Inserting CD6, Putting CD5 back in the case, waiting for CD5 to load, ect, there is a loss of atmosphere. When I play a game I like to turn off the lights put on headphones and let the sound and graphics sink in with no distractions. You can't really do that if your fumbling with 7 CDs. If people are hell bent on having in on CD I wouldn't mind getting a Deluxe Version on DVD that costs more but comes with neat bonus stuff like leather manuals and clear folders and bookmarks [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img].

quote:
Yes, but it would still mean trouble for the actual leechers who download the pirate copy. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
heh ? you mean someone can download the game via Internet ?

quote:
Originally posted by Laslow:
(...) there is a loss of atmosphere. When I play a game I like to turn off the lights put on headphones and let the sound and graphics sink in with no distractions. You can't really do that if your fumbling with 7 CDs. (...)

Ah atmopshere was lost when they started to have games that offer you the choice between telling a girl that cooked for you "praise her cooking skills" or "ask her if she microwaved dog food", besides you still have to think for a game, most atmosphere that can be escaped into is movies or music for me at least, neither time do you really have to think about a choice.