X-change screenshots for Wikipedia

Anyone who has these games, in English, can we get a screenshot for 2 and 3? Those 2 have had requests made specifically.

Don’t images for Wikipedia required to be free to use and in the public domain? Then no player can legally provide those. Only Peach Princess or the original Japanese development studio could do that.

Well first off, Crowd and PP may allow screenshots as public domain. Some companies, like Ubisoft do this (assuming they do not depict another copyrighted item in item). Second, even if that isn’t the case, under US Fair Use law, where Wikipedia is located, a limited number of low-regulations (typically 50% size or lower) screenshots is permissible to give a graphical representation of the product. Limited number is usually no more than two or three. In this case, one should suffice.

What about using them for “Educational purposes” Not to clear on how all that works

That would be for use by universities or students for academic studies only. If, FE, you wanted to do a study on the game or genre for that wasn’t profit motivated.

Oh, ok that sounds pretty cut and dry, just wasn’t sure how it worked for info sites like Wikipedia but your explanation makes perfect sense and clears that up :smiley: .

Yea. The usage for Wikipedia falls under other uses of fair use clause.

Actually the use for academics can be for professors or anyone for scholarly institution as long as it is used for such a manner. So a professor giving a lecture on gaming, could use it for demonstrating the purposes of Japanese visual novels. I do not know how that deals with the use of making backups or distribution to other members for essential research of the topic.

Fair Use doesn’t go as far as most people think it does. I know Wikipedia went through a phase of tossing out all its graphics because they weren’t sure of which ones were public domain and which weren’t and were at risk of being misused. It also went through a phase of declaring all graphics it published meant you’d lost all rights to the character and related graphics, as it was now the property of Jimbo Wales’s company. Since Wikipedia changes its stance so often (literally, whenever Jimbo changes his mind), it is not a stable set up.

Now, that out of the way, it might be worth it to Peach Princess or the licensing originating company of X-Change to provide samples suitable for publishing on Wikipedia. It has a lot of computer and console game entries, and I’m sure that a few browsers of the games would turn into someone looking seriously at trying to find the game to play it. How many of those would buy the game though? That I don’t know. I know I’ve been turned onto several games there, but most were abandonware, so their wasn’t a current merchant for me to buy the products from, so I ended up getting them from abandonware sites (after doing some serious Googling around to try and find a vendor for them). So out of the first 10 games I really liked there that I went hunting, 7 literally had no one to sell them to me. It’s gotten better since then for me finding vendors of older games, but that’s because there’s more companies out there who sell download only versions of older games.

I have no idea what the legalities are here, but I would like to mention, just as a point of interest, that I discovered that these games exist through Wikipedia, and I now own about 90% of the PP/G-Collections catalog. IIRC, it was the pages on Kana and the first X-Change that were the main inspiration for my first order. So it’s certainly possible to expand the reach of the hobby this way.

Well part of it is on consensus and part of it from laws. Since Jimbo can’t control what people upload, claiming anything uploaded becomes the property of Wikipedia was a big stretch.

Right now anything people make or take pictures of themselves that does not contain copyrightable or classified item (which only applies to screenshots I believe is fine. If not, they you have to be very explicit who owns the [original] copyright currently, what portion is used, why a free version can’t be found, and that the image is not the same quality (in most cases) as the original.

Anyway, i asked Shingo to clarify a statement of permission I was given a year ago.

Heh I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone brings up a legality issue and everyone starts debating it.

Just do whatever you want on Wikipedia. If Wikipedia doesn’t like it, they’ll remove it, simple. Same goes for YouTube. I posted NFL footage and they removed it, no harm done. A famous photographer once said, it’s easier to apologize than to ask for permission 8).

I edit for Wikipedia, did most of the work on those articles, a low-end jpg screenshot counts as illustrative fair use, but you have to list the reasons (which I have a boiler-plate of somewhere) in the photo description for the license, or they will delete it.

I guess I could work on getting the photos. I’m doing a lot of schoolthings right now though. If anyone else gets them, I can plug them into the article.