Yumina CG's all untranslated?

Hey Guys,

Loving the game, but there is a problem after you complete it.

Your meant to go and re-visit all the CG’s you’ve unlocked, and there are all different funny 4th wall breaking conversations you unlock for every scene. In total, there must be over 150 unique dialogues here, though some are repeated.

None of these are translated, as there is no subtitles. It’s a pretty massive part of the bonus content to leave untouched, is it possible to resolve this?

The same issue exists for all the dungeon cut scenes and all of yumina’s songs during the game proper, there are no subs so you have no idea what is going on. It’s just the kind of thing I find highly frustrating when what Yumina is singing about is pretty plot critical and it just leaves a bit of an unfinished taste.

And yes, I’m aware there were probably no subs in the Japanese version for these bits, but since there are so many and they are so important, am I wondering if any of this can be fixed in a patch. As it standards, big slices of content are effectively inaccessable and there was a particular section where yumina sings (Day 4) and it’s meant to be inspiring. But it fails to deliver because you’ve got no idea what she’s singing about.

Probably a technical issue; unless the engine is already designed for it, and I’m guessing not, it would probably be a fairly major modification that needs to be made by ETERNAL. Adding something like that to an existing game engine very much after the fact would probably take a nontrivial amount of time for the original programmers to implement. I guess JAST may have determined it wasn’t worth the tradeoff since it would likely increase licensing costs.

Well, as a fully qualified developer I can tell you both that:

Yes, it the text box isn’t there in the Japanese version in any of the place I’m talking about, so it’s non-trivial.
No, it’s not all that difficult to call it there, it’s undoubtedly already exists as a callable function if the game is programmed under OO, which it should be.

Eternal probably needs to do it, unless JAST has a developer and the pre-compiled code. But then, they are licencing the game and their terms should say they want to translate it. Eternal should be compelled to make the edits so that they can do so.

But I mean, thats the basic thing, we’re paying for a translation here and it’s unfinished.

This isn’t like other games, where a trivial amount of content is lost. This is an entire, massive feature thats effectively untranslated (The CG 4th walls), the dungeon cut scenes (all of them), all the songs, all the intro movies.

Now if JAST can’t afford to do it and there needs to be a kickstarter or whatever, then I will begrudgingly cough up because I want the finished article. But I mean, this game is fantastic but the huge amount of untranslated stuff is frustrating. It’s not just one little bit, it’s stuff everywhere. It may seem trivial, but if your trying to get friends to buy this as an introduction to a great VN and then they find untranslated stuff everywhere (the dungeon cutscene’s are definitely the most prominant and grating) then it becomes a hard sell.

Don’t make any assumptions about how easy it is. Eroge developers have got to take the programmers they can get, not the top-of-the-line people. (Because of the money problems. Eroge companies can’t pay top dollar.) All kinds of horror show code makes it into production all over the place in places that DO pay top dollar; I can only imagine what eroge code looks like. I have heard some things about how this game in particular was programmed from some little birds. I can’t repeat it, but I can easily see the change being a major overhaul.

I can, however, talk about some of the stuff that was publicly announced about other games Jast has released, and about the game I’m working on. Little My Maid was delayed repeatedly due to scripting issues with the text. It was built as hundreds of little files each containing slivers of the text/scripting. Hard coding of everything everywhere. My retranslation of NI is the same way: massive amounts of duplicated text, with some non-trivial lines being duplicated over fifteen times across ten files. And things like the scene recollection were just hard coded as script calls.

I can easily see Yumina having been built in such a way that every single one of those images would have to be touched up manually by the scripters.

Well, however they solve the issue, its pretty important they solve it.

There is effectively a whole routes worth of content in the extra CG’s section that you currently can’t understand. As I said, this isn’t trivial at all. It reminds me of when they released School Days HQ and I had to point out that all the videos were missing.

It really is a shame. I can only understand certain words but I can tell they are saying a lot of stuff. At least some translations in a pdf would be better than nothing

This

Thank you for your input, everyone. We are going to translate the CG comments and make them available, most likely as a PDF. I expect this to take a couple of weeks.

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

What about the insert songs and movies etc?

We’ll also find someone to translate the lyrics. That will take more than a few weeks.

Hows progress? :slight_smile:

The translation of the CG comments will be done this week. Then we’ll edit it and put together a PDF.

Zomg, awesome :slight_smile:

There wasn’t time to upload it to the site before the work week ended, but here’s the finished PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ss5pvlg353t4 … mments.pdf

Spoiler warning. Enjoy!

Absolutely awesome. Some of those made me laugh pretty hard :smiley:

@Makoto
This is much appreciated! <3

No problem. They’re uploaded to the site now, so if anyone asks, please send them there.

http://jastusa.com/yumina/downloads.html
http://jastusa.com/yumina/files/Yumina_ … entary.pdf

thank you :smiley: