Yumina the Ethereal: The highest profile H-RPG release ever

For reading it? It was long just from reading it which was worth it since I have said it was fantastic, well Kirara was anyway.
And I was going to play that game expect it was only all ages.

I quite like Yumina’s battle system; it lends a nice extra dimension to the Aselia/Seinarukana model; it’s both very preditable and strategic. You have enough information to accurately predict the outcome of a round, although it may take a bit of time to work out (enemies seem to always interrupt when they can, but occasionally weird stuff happens in a round that I wasn’t expecting and it’s hard to tell after the fact if I made a mistake or if the enemy just make the logical choice to not take an interrupt this time.)

There are also some aspects to the mechanics I haven’t figured out, like when an attack fumbles even though it’s the first skill used in that round and you had enough audience for it when you picked it; I assume it’s something to do with audience cost modifiers (something increasing audience cost, but it doesn’t affect the requirement so you can still select it?)

I can’t agree that the story is better than Aselia’s; depth, characters, the backstory, the events- I can’t see any aspect where I’d rate Yumina as equivalent or better than Aselia. The sub-characters are also much better fleshed out (and they could die, which always made me feel really bad when it happened.) Honestly, Yumina reminds me of Seinarukana a lot on the story side - it’s basically Aselia-lite, with a good deal of the seriousness and gravity removed, yet still trying to tell a similar story. That said, I’m incredibly biased in this regard because I love Aselia, I’ve played all the fandiscs and side things and I still load it up every few months to load saves and revisit events in the story.

In terms of difficulty, I haven’t played the game on Super Hard yet but I’ve found the game to be pretty easy so far - that could partly be because I tried to ‘clear’ Training each time (except for the annoying quests). I think I had the right level, though- I was typically around the same level as most of the boss enemies for much of the game.

Actually, the hardest battle in the game for me was vs Nayuta on the playthrough I made following my first clear (on Normal again) aiming for the bad ending (the Graduation ending with Yumina) - I did this foolishly thinking that it would be incredibly easy (and therefore incredibly quick- and true, I could skip Training entirely) to play the game again on Normal with a super-powered party like Aselia is. Wrrrrong. I didn’t set up any particular skills for that fight and I found getting the approval rating high enough to be incredibly frustrating given how almost every half-decent approval rating increaser is an attack and any attack can and will kill Nayuta at that stage. I ended up Shining Smile-ing my way through it but it was still a huge pain. By comparison, on Hard it was a cinch; I didn’t even look at approval, I just attacked.

Except that he outlines several scenarios where this is common (something like Skype popping up a box when you’re in full-screen is apparently crashing the game for him).

100% trivial-to-repro crash bugs should be fixed, especially if they’re as easy to trigger as this. Modern Windows OSes even have a hotkey to change the resolution (Win-P).

alt-enter caused the game to crash with an annoyingly high frequency for me, especially during dungeons (which is especially annoying as you can’t just quicksave before doing it)

I honestly thought the manual is fine. I mean, what do you expect?

However I would like to see a lot more content and details to guide people through the various aspects of the game. Include terminologies, more detailed guides and explanation of the system.
There are also a lot more details hidden in game which people may not even realize unless they use the jp wiki: take the various weapon evolution for example, or various quest/dungeon info.
Holding Ctrl speeds up all action (running, combat, text) should be highlighted in bold.

What I expect is a high quality scan of the manual that you can actually tell what the screens says not a horribly scanned resolution that it’s just a blur… that is what I expect from a commercial game.

It seems this game does not like HDMI audio!

Faulting application name: Yumina.exe, version: 1.0.5.1, time stamp: 0x51d0c40b
Faulting module name: DSOUND.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd9fd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00036191
Faulting process id: 0x19bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cebad59643402b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Yumina\Yumina.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\DSOUND.dll
Report Id: 850346d3-26cf-11e3-9861-6c626d7151e6

I use HDMI audio and the DSOUND.dll is a Microsoft sound file.

The alt-enter crashes seem to be inherited from the JP release of the game, as noted by the jp wiki. That one might be impossible to fix unless JAST has extremely knowledgeable programmers :S.

I don’t see any comments about direct sound access violations though. Is your audio driver up to date? Maybe codec issues? Bad install?

Uploading your Yumina.log might help.

That’s not particular to Yumina. It’s a problem with the HDMI interface. When you turn off a monitor, you’re disabling a graphics device in Windows and this causes problems for other programs too (it’s sort of like trying to update a graphics driver while playing a game…not a good idea). In my case, I have my PC hooked up to a sound receiver via HDMI, and then to my TV via HDMI out. When I turn the TV on/off, it causes sound glitching in FF14 and can crash Windows Media Player Classic. As it turns out, my sound receiver is recognized as one device when the TV is off, and as a different device when the TV is on.

I can also confirm that Yumina works just fine with audio piped to a sound receiver via HDMI.

Just cleared the game.

The final boss was really, really easy. I wonder if that was intentional… by comparison, the final boss of Kirara’s route on Super Hard was a really good fight.

BTW how can I tell if I am running latest version of Yumina? I looked for anything that said version in the game screen and can’t find anywhere that said the version. I know I can not have the v1.0.3 but not sure on if I have v1.0.1 or v1.0.2 and do not know if I just install latest or do you have to install each patch in order for that matter the epilogue patch also to be downloaded. So does anyone know how to tell if I am patched completely?

Run it in windowed mode. The version should be displayed in the window title:

If in doubt just install 1.02 anyway; it’s just extracting files so it won’t hurt anything even if you’re already patched up.

Thanks… Yes I was running an old version… patched it up and will play some more and see if I have anymore crashes. Was only at 1.0.1 so now 1.0.3.