Yumina the Ethereal

“Kikouyoku Senki Tenkuu no Yumina” … aka “Yumina the Ethereal” (vndb entry)
http://www.eternal-will.jp/yumina/ (seems like only Gallery is NSFW)

Yumina was licensed by JastUSA (at Anime Expo 2010)! … and I didn’t even know it happened…

This is big news… and I can’t find anything about it in the JastUSA.com news!

Well, I looked up videos and images on Yumina :
Trailer 1 / Trailer 2
Introduction PV teaser
Music Video :3
Opening / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmbE3H0ljHs
Battle Specials Demo

Front cover / Back cover
more here including H : http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=587385&gc=gc

I also downloaded the trial version and after a short look…

Overall I’m very impressed! Seems like it will be a long game…

Love the voice acting; easy A. Overall the art is probably borderline B+, sometimes excellent, sometimes just good or okay. Nothing bad though… simple and cute. (the mini-portraits are great!)

The main character is also voiced!.. Sometimes. That’s my biggest beef so far (thus not A+). During visual novel sections he has no voice… but during cutscene… (er I mean Super Deformed Scenes :D) he finds his voice…
I guess you don’t have to worry about H-scene sounds from the MC then … although I really wish he’d been fully voiced, it adds a bit to it! :confused:
btw I LOVE YUMINA lol… she’ll probably be annoying sometimes, but I don’t care; she is gold :stuck_out_tongue:

I have one other issue with the game… it’s is in the visual novel section as well… they use an odd system of displaying a single lovely character still for the background… but it doesn’t seem to change at all; yet in the ADV chat window, a mini portrait of current speaking character is constantly changing to fit the mood. I don’t know why they didn’t just go all out and full-screen the various character gestures… (maybe to save money and time…?)
Well… you get used to it quick enough; like the missing MC voice… but I am stuck staring at the bottom left corner of the screen…

On the other hand, I have no complaints with the SD scenes xD. The mini-portraits plus the SD portraits work oddly well together…

Music is B+, pretty fun so far (some songs make me think I’m playing Lunar…)… heard a few A worthy songs too…

The dungeons and battles are interesting… I only have been guessing at what I’m doing, but it’s pretty fun. I haven’t tried to rush battle animations, but if you can that will come in handy if you spend much time in the dungeon…

I know the plot, but the game seems to be full of comedy, and that’ll be a big plus. As much as I love games that take themselves too seriously, it’s nice to have a break!
One last thing… it seems this game has a fan disk… so if it does well, perhaps we’ll get to enjoy that too!

Narg awards this eroge a…

This game has fantastic gameplay, the concept is interesting and the battles are real fun. Unofrtunately, I didn’t like the comedy in the game, and I think the plot took the wrong turn arounf the end of chapter 4. Moreover, the game practically forces you to grind at some points, and this is not good, especially if you want to play it multiple times (which I chose not to, anyway). Chances are, if you like the comedy and the plot, this is going to be one of the best game you’ll be able to find in english. Otherwise, it’s still a solid rpg, which given the current status of english visual novel market, it’s still a good thing.

cool to see the first real english h-rpg (or a least the first one in years) how does this compare to the other h-rpg’s jast has released in the past

Does this game have a mostly singular path like Princess Waltz or are there multiple routes and endings?

It’s most like Eien no Aselia in that it’s largely a single path story but with intertwined branching content for the heroines. There are 8 main chapters and the scenario splits off at chapter 6, taking a different path for each route.

Looks like I would have to upgrade or buy a new PC to play this… 64MB of VRAM for a game of this genre is so much and it recommends double… Hahaha, I am obviously over due, but I never imagined that I would have to upgrade so I can play a game like this.

When I see the covers for games like these I feel thankful that JAST is around to sell us games so cheaply. Is the Japanese market being milked or are we being spoiled? Perhaps it is both?

I think you would have trouble getting some modern pure visual novels to run smoothly - 2D, no gameplay etc. Widescreen high-definition animations and effects don’t come cheap and I have never seen any machine show the fireworks in Kitto, Sumiwataru Asairo yori mo smoothly. My machine even had trouble with the opening animation stuff in the Rewrite trial.

You don’t think Raidy counts?

But even aside from Raidy, there are a few older RPGs released. Brave Soul is a few years old now, and then there are REALLY old titles from MegaTech like Cobra Mission and Knights of Xentar.

I did notice some slow down in some opening animations on my computer, but I always tried to ignore it. Buying a game is one thing, but buying a new machine to play it is another. I’ll just take a break from visual novels until I can swoop in on at least a half dozen of those modern games.

This game looks fun, the art style is cutesy and it would have been my first game with twins, supposedly.

See ya

Going by erogamescape rating, it blows past H-RPGs out of the water. Only Brave Soul comes close (not including the legacy titles–they’re not really comparable).

I think it’s pretty safe to say that upon release this will be THE defining localized H-game with gameplay. Games like Koihime Musou and Princess Waltz are nice, but gameplay-wise they don’t even come close. And by all reports, this game is the best in Eternal’s current lineup. We’re rather fortunate that this is the one JAST chose.

Yes. Yes. Yes. It has all that good stuff.

More importantly: it has you sexing identical twin sisters at the same time!

What part of, “you are getting this or God will kill you”, did you not understand. :o

Then when sales hit the roof, JAST will give us the delicious fandisc, which has more of the twins and a snarky yet horny gothic lolita. 8)

It reminds me that I should buy the fandisk. Now, I guess I could just as well wait for JAST’s release (one day), if only to see its quality before deciding to buy it or the Japanese edition but then, there’s the price~

It’s a bit of a weird situation since I would have never expected JAST to get such a recent and high-quality game! :shock: (Not that I expect the western “fans” to nonetheless complain about whatever but, heh…)

A new game, and H-RPG to boot? SOLD! :lol:

I hope this game has many finishable heroins.

You can bed all of them, but only three are actual heroines with their own routes.

there are like 7 girls with h-scenes

I wonder… is JAST gonna translate those [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprSc_7pQFQ]promo vids[/url]? :o

Erm, I hope they focus on the OPs instead. I think a promo like that would scare off most of their customer base. -_-;

Why?

Its moe.

Agreed. I don’t think it really provides a good representation of the game either. ETERNAL did a similar thing for the first Nega0 OP too though, where particularly the lyrics are painfully nonsensical.