Yumina Windowed Mode Startup Error

I’m running Windows 10 and I was able to startup Yumina in Windowed mode Yesterday, but today I get this error when I try to start it up which is attached below. It still runs fine if it is started in Full Screen Mode.

Try deleting the configuration file for the game system, which will reset all settings to default.

What's the file called? I'm looking under Local Disc->Games->Jast Densetsu and also checked under the Data Folder but I don't see a config.exe type of file.

Rename the entire save directory. In Windows 7 the location is: C:\\Users\\[UserName]\\AppData\\Roaming\\Will\\YuminaTheEthereal

Then try to run the game. If that doesn't work, also rename Yumina.log in the game install directory.

Note that renaming these files will cause the game to not recognize the saved data and could possibly break the installation (I'm not entirely sure what Yumina.log does). You should be able to revert any changes simply by renaming the files back though.

Tried doing both things. Renaming the YuminaTheEthereal Save Directory and renaming the Yumina.log file. I also reset all Game system settings from the startup menu to their defaults. I still get the error from the Screenshot from trying Windowed Mode

I'm a bit skeptical that this is a Windows 10 issue if the game started correctly in windowed mode before.

Have you tried the first two troubleshooting tips in my Windows 10 compatibility project article? I doubt it'll help, but it's worth a shot.

I tried the Compatibility mode for Windows 8, 7, and XP (SP 3), running as an administrator. As well as Uninstalling then Reinstalling the game. Still get the same issue. My best guess is that a recent background Windows Update caused something to be broken for some reason.

update: looks like I was lucky one time... now the game has gone into "once you've gone fullscreen you cant go back". still playable just only fullscreen. We're looking into how we can possibly getting this fixed.

My guess is that the switch for fullscreen also does something with one of the dll that stores the game info and so you cant really reverse it unless you reinstall (does anyone with a save want to see if keeping the save game for after a reinstall works)

I don't see a patch for the game on the Japanese site, nor do I see Japanese users complaining about bugs with the Japanese version. That indicates the possibility that this is a locale issue.

Does reinstalling make the game work correctly? If so, try running the game with system locale set to Japanese (and Japanese supplemental fonts installed). Then try to reproduce the problem. I have a gut feeling this might fix or avoid the issue.

Also, the DATA folder contains files with Japanese filenames. That seems like really bad standard operating procedure, as English Windows doesn't play nicely with Japanese characters unless you change the default settings.

I've tried uninstalling then reinstalling the game and it still won't startup in windowed mode. Haven't tried changing the System Locale to Japanese yet. I'll post again when I have the results of this.

Once you change locale to Japanese, make sure that the file ???.var in the DATA folder displays the correct Japanese name, with no corrupted characters.

kinda of work around: Start it in full screen then use the screen setting screen in game to change to windowed. Looks like a graphics compatibility problem.

Looks like a customer found a bit of workaround

Right click Yumina short cut. Open its properties. On the compatibility tab there are some boxes you can check. Enable the box: disable display scaling high DPI settings.

I'm surprised people didn't try enabling all the compatibility settings to start with. That's the first thing I'd do if I encountered a problem and there wasn't a patch for it.

Okay, I'll try out that compatibility setting the next time I play Yumina. I just tried using Compatibility Mode on Windows 8.1/, Windows 7, and XP previously.