Zyx...

Well, if anyone here have played any games from Zyx, besides Chain, I’d like to know if you know if all of their games are single-path games like Chain or Fortuna? Or are some of their games multi-path games??? I went to Zyx homepage today and took a look at their games, since one or two games from Zyx might be among those six gmaes G-collections plans to release, but I was thinking that even if some of their games do look nice, it might be boring in the long run if ALL of their games were single-path stories or “pure visual-novels”.

Well if their other games are like Chain I’d be happy

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Well if their other games are like Chain I'd be happy [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

^^;;. Well, I haven't played Chain, but, well... It's just that I prefer games where you can do your own choices and not just are walking towards a predetermited ending. I could make an exceptation for Fortuna, but about the other games, I'm not really sure if I should amke an exceptation for them or not if they are indeed released here, since I knows next to nothing about them (and that's of course why I asked this question)...

quote:
Originally posted by Spectator Beholder:
^^;;. Well, I haven't played Chain, but, well... It's just that I prefer games where you can do your own choices and not just are walking towards a predetermited ending. I could make an exceptation for Fortuna, but about the other games, I'm not really sure if I should amke an exceptation for them or not if they are indeed released here, since I knows next to nothing about them (and that's of course why I asked this question)...

Well, of the four that are out now it is widely regarded to be a contest between Chain and Kana as to which of G-collections' titles reigns supreme.

I would give the honor to Kana since the story was so incredibly moving, but chain was a great game as well easily the second best. Personally I like a game that tells a good story even if it is linear and you don’t get to make so many choices, it like reading a good book with pictures.
In answer to your question though, no I do not believe zyx has a multi-ending game unless the Innai Kansen series is multi path. It must just be their style, they do tend to have fairly well developed characters and storylines though and well done cg and animations. And Zyx games get a A+ for attractive females .
So although the replayability is lower I would be happy if they chose to translate another Zyx game (like fortuna ).

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
In answer to your question though, no I do not believe zyx has a multi-ending game unless the Innai Kansen series is multi path. It must just be their style, they do tend to have fairly well developed characters and storylines though and well done cg and animations. And Zyx games get a A+ for attractive females [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].
So although the replayability is lower I would be happy if they chose to translate another Zyx game (like fortuna [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]).

Hmm, I see... Well, then we might have to assume that all (or almsot all) of their games are single-path bishoujo games... Matbe, anyway... Well, if no one here knows for sure, I suppose that all we can do it to wait and see.

Good thing for us and G-collections (and Zyx) that Chain is one of the more popular gamess, that might encourage both G-collections and Zyx to release more games (and I REALLY hope that if so, Fortuna will be among them).

Actually, it’s RARE for ZyX to publish linear games–almost every other title it’s is multi-path. Chain is the exception rather than the norm. Admittedly, some of their titles go along a more linear route (the Crazy Knuckle series, for instance, along with the more recent Shukketsubou and Tsuki), but overall, ZyX titles do have some flexibility to them. (I can’t speak for Fortuna, though, as I never completed the game.)

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey:
Actually, it's RARE for ZyX to publish linear games--almost every other title it's is multi-path. Chain is the exception rather than the norm. Admittedly, some of their titles go along a more linear route (the Crazy Knuckle series, for instance, along with the more recent Shukketsubou and Tsuki), but overall, ZyX titles do have some flexibility to them. (I can't speak for Fortuna, though, as I never completed the game.)

Is that so? Then... YAY!!!! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

*lemons dancing happily all around the place*

Well I was posting from experience of playing Chain, Shukketsubo, and Fortuna which were all linear. I have no interest in the bunny series games, and have no play experience with the Innai Kansen games, so they could very well be multi path.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigdog:
I would give the honor to Kana since the story was so incredibly moving, but chain was a great game as well easily the second best. Personally I like a game that tells a good story even if it is linear and you don't get to make so many choices, it like reading a good book with pictures.
In answer to your question though, no I do not believe zyx has a multi-ending game unless the Innai Kansen series is multi path. It must just be their style, they do tend to have fairly well developed characters and storylines though and well done cg and animations. And Zyx games get a A+ for attractive females [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img].
So although the replayability is lower I would be happy if they chose to translate another Zyx game (like fortuna [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]).

I probably would give that same nod to Kana as well, except that I have not actually beaten it yet. (Long story involving the evilness that is sucky hardware.)

As for multipath versus single path...there is room for both. Multipath games tend to have more complex and involved gameplay whereas linear games tend to have a more involved storyline. Chain, for instance, would have been quite difficult to set up as a multipath game--it would have been much more difficult to have different paths of investigation, and the story would have flowed much more awkwardly. Tokimeki Checkin!, on the other hand, would have been greatly detracted from if it had been linear--it would've more or less destroyed the one-girl-at-a-time attitude. So it depends; I personally like both equally.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 10-27-2002).]

I played one of ZYX’s old game, called “Ring Out” from Otaku, and it was basically a visual novel. It also did not have the character designer for which ZYX is famous nowadays for, the one who did ‘Fortuna’, ‘Innai Kensan’, and ‘Ecchi bunny ga kirai’ and so forth.

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
It also did not have the character designer for which ZYX is famous nowadays for, the one who did 'Fortuna', 'Innai Kensan', and 'Ecchi bunny ga kirai' and so forth.

His name's Keiji Mutoh. And to clear things up (or confuse things further), ZyX has a new character designer whose art resembles his, Masahiro...Yamaneshi(?), I think, as I've forgotten his last name. He was responsible for Tsuki and Shukketsubou.

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
I played one of ZYX's old game, called "Ring Out" from Otaku, and it was basically a visual novel. It also did not have the character designer for which ZYX is famous nowadays for, the one who did 'Fortuna', 'Innai Kensan', and 'Ecchi bunny ga kirai' and so forth.

Ring Out was ZYX? As in, the same company that made Chain?

...uh...in...teresting. Anyone have dates for Ring Out and Chain (in Japan and here)? I'm curious.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
Anyone have dates for Ring Out and Chain (in Japan and here)? I'm curious.

Chain came out early this year, though I've lost the exact date. (The DVD-ROM versions came out on April 26 and May 30, respectively.) I have absolutely no idea when Ring-Out produced, though if I had to guess, it would be somewhere between late '98 and early '99. All of the above are Japanese release dates.

quote:
Chain came out early this year, though I've lost the exact date. (The DVD-ROM versions came out on April 26 and May 30, respectively.) I have absolutely no idea when Ring-Out produced, though if I had to guess, it would be somewhere between late '98 and early '99. All of the above are Japanese release dates.
Chain (CD-Rom version) came out on 6.29.2001; the DVD versions (each of them being one-half of the CD-Rom version's story) came out on 4.26.2002 and 5.30.2002. "Ring-out" OTOH was released on 6.1995.

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
Chain (CD-Rom version) came out on 6.29.2001; the DVD versions (each of them being one-half of the CD-Rom version's story) came out on 4.26.2002 and 5.30.2002. "Ring-out" OTOH was released on 6.1995.

In general, is it even worth getting the DVD versions of games? Every so often I see a DVD version of a game and I get curious.

Hmm, actually, I had thought "Ring Out" had been even earlier than that. Oh well. Shows what I know... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

quote:

Really? Chain was released _in Japan_ this year? Wow. I have more respect for G-collections than I did before, and I had quite a bit before.

Was Ring-Out by any chance one of their earlier titles? I’m surprised Otaku brought it out at all, it’s so ancient and the subject material was so…

quote:
Really? Chain was released _in Japan_ this year? Wow. I have more respect for G-collections than I did before, and I had quite a bit before.

Er, not quite. olf_le_fol's dates are correct--Chain was released in Japan last year; it was the DVD-ROM versions that were released this year.

quote:
Was Ring-Out by any chance one of their earlier titles? I'm surprised Otaku brought it out at all, it's so ancient and the subject material was so...

Yes, Ring-out (and yes, THAT Ring-out, from Otaku) was one of ZyX's earliest titles (their second, actually).

[This message has been edited by Jeffrey (edited 10-28-2002).]

Well, PC graphics technology kind of grew in leaps and bounds, when the Macintosh already had kick ass graphics. Ring Out is what the little PC could perform for its time, and it wasn’t half bad. Good seiyuu performances too.