anime with strong finishes

A lot of anime series seem to end with a weak ending or none at all. You can almost see the caption tune in next season after the final episode. This often is necessary when the series is taken from an ongoing manga or hasn’t run its course on the air yet, but can anyone name series that do reach a satisfying conclusion of some sort? I’ll start by nominating the two Magic Knight Rayearth series. They managed to complete their story arcs in reasonable fashion.

I’ll nominate it because the movie is intended to replace 25/26 : Evangelion

Escaflowne. Haibane Renmei. Princess Tutu. The first season of Crest of the Stars pretty well wraps things up. Full Metal Panic! Kanon TV.

Well it’s new to the list but I will voice my support for Chobits and in it’s own way I think the OVA Oh My Goddess was satisfying much like many movies are when they leave at moments that some argue leaves possible story to tell but others, such as me in this case, say that’s true but this is still a very satisfying ending.

Hmm, great now I got to dredge my mind for some titles…

Not that some people will agree but: Vandread,Battle Athletes, Jubei-chan, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Chance Pop Session, and I My Me! Strawberry Eggs. And if we don’t count OVA’s, Fushigi Yugi and Gatekeepers maybe. There’s probably a few others but I’m having a hard time remembering what I’ve seen and how each one ended…

Hmm…strong endings huh. Well it’s not all out yet but maison Ikkoku has a very strong ending. Cowboy bebop has a good sad ending. Outlaw star has a decent ending. Hmm…well that’s all I can think of right now, my brain isn’t working as I hardly got any sleep last night.

GREAT… Now I too need to waste some of my brain Cells/Powers to think of some other titles …

Hmm… I would have to say KOR first movie as a great ending…Not the 2nd one mind you… Crest of stars…nope, already being said…Chobits and Maison Ikkoku…nope also mentioned before…ah…got it…Macross also has a nice ending … Megazone 23 and … nope…that’s it…can’t think of any other titles now… ~__~

I have seen last episode of Maison Ikkoku TV series. It had good ending.

quote:
Originally posted by RonXE:
I have seen last episode of Maison Ikkoku TV series. It had good ending.

If you like the anime, then you should really try to read the Manga... I usually don't say this but the Manga of Maison Ikkoku is REALLY good ... ^__^

I forgot about Gate Keepers and must agree that does have a strong finish, but I am not as sure about it’s follow up Gate Keepers 21 . I know some that say it is a great series but leaves you wanting more shows; which depending on your opinion might or might not be a strong finish since I think it has a great ending episode but once again leaves you wanting a little more and leaves a few questions unanswered.

I think too that Please Teacher counting or not counting the OVA show had a good ending.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 01-20-2004).]

Trigun has the strongest finish of any Anime I ever watched. It never copped out on its pacifist philosophy, when people just dismissed Vash as a pussy. It’s distinctly Japanese with heavy Buddhist influences, and I don’t think the Western civilization understands the message of Buddha.

quote:
Originally posted by bokmeow:
Trigun has the strongest finish of any Anime I ever watched. It never copped out on its pacifist philosophy, when people just dismissed Vash as a pussy. It's distinctly Japanese with heavy Buddhist influences, and I don't think the Western civilization understands the message of Buddha.

I don't know that I'd go quite that far, but it did have a far stronger finish than I had ever thought. I actually didn't see the finish for like a year - there was a gap because I missed one of the eps near the end at my anime club, and ... well, it was Trigun; I just never got around to it. I didn't realize that the ending was by far the best part.

I must say, that in general I don't have a lot of respect for no-matter-what pacifist shows. I think that while it's a nice dream, so is Communism. Reality is harsher than that - there are times when you literally have no choice but to shoot the bastard. Choosing not to fire, and having others die as a result, is still causing someone's death.

However.

After seeing the end of Trigun, I can say that I do truly respect the creators for being able to write one of these pacifistic stories and actually address this objection - and still believably come out optimistic at the end. I give them mad props for overcoming even my natural cynicism and perverse nature. So yes, I would have to say Trigun ends well; it ends very well.

quote:
Originally posted by Noirbo:
If you like the anime, then you should really try to read the Manga... I usually don't say this but the Manga of Maison Ikkoku is REALLY good ... ^__^

I do know. I really love fansubbed Maison Ikkoku (I have 1-96, and movie/OVA) tapes.

Well... I have some English and Japanese Maison Ikkoku mangas. English- Vol. 1 only. Japanese- I got wide edition as vol. 1-2, and 10 (last volume).

Gatekeepers 21 I have mixed feelings about, mainly because it just brought up a bunch of questions which I doubt will ever be answered.

Hmm, this thread is reminding me that there’s a couple of shows I still havn’t gotten around to watching yet. I really should go through them one of these days…

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
Gatekeepers 21 I have mixed feelings about, mainly because it just brought up a bunch of questions which I doubt will ever be answered.

Hmm, this thread is reminding me that there's a couple of shows I still havn't gotten around to watching yet. I really should go through them one of these days...

Yes that is what I think too about the questions though someone told me a few are at least clarified in a novel or manga Gate Keepers 1984 and some of the questions are just made larger from that novel or manga and then the OVA Gate Keepers 21. I still like the ending in spite of the questions, though it is kind of bittersweet with the questions hanging out there to be answered.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 01-21-2004).]

Hmmm… I’ll throw out Boogiepop Phantom as having a strong ending, as it managed to wrap up almost all the threads going in the series. Given the way the series was done, I considered that fairly impressive.

Gah, I wanna see Gatekeepers now…

Well gatekeepers 21 took a more serious and dark angle to the series than the origional gatekeepers anime. So some people loved it for doing that while others hated it for doing that. It was a good ova series though.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Well gatekeepers 21 took a more serious and dark angle to the series than the origional gatekeepers anime. So some people loved it for doing that while others hated it for doing that. It was a good ova series though.

Well no matter what you do I think you will have people that like the changes and people that hate the changes in anything, still it was a good OVA series.

I will add one more when I think about it and I am going out perhaps on a limb slightly but OVA episodes aside and ending with the first movie, I think Love Hina had a fairly strong finish at least I think so if you count the Love Hina Christmas Movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
Gah, I wanna see Gatekeepers now...

Wouldn't be a bad time to see it since it's coming out as one of Geneon's "Signature Series" at $19.98 a disc. I'm not sure if it comes with the AEGIS ID badges though. And to think I had to deal around to get my hands on a used set of the series...

Well if you don’t include the Love hina ovas then the christmas special is a great end to the love hina series. It actually had some closure to naru/keitaro. The christmas ep was my favorite ep of the entire series

As for signature gatekeepers re-release I doubt they will have the dogtags as I believe they were limited items in the origional release.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Well if you don't include the Love hina ovas then the christmas special is a great end to the love hina series. It actually had some closure to naru/keitaro. The christmas ep was my favorite ep of the entire series [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

As for signature gatekeepers re-release I doubt they will have the dogtags as I believe they were limited items in the origional release.

Same here, the Love Hina Christmas Movie was my favorite of them all too for many reasons, one being nothing to do with the plot but I really like the sung songs in that movie. I liked the OVA's and the way it ended, but somehow I think Christmas Movie serves a stronger ending, though the OVA's perhaps more complete if that makes sense.

So what is the difference other then price between the original Gate Keepers release and the signature series? More extras?

I actually got the entire non signature series from Rightstuf sometime before last Christmas for about 60.00 or 70.00 dollars I think, and that is the one with the AEGIS Badges. I am not sure they still have that deal but they had it in early December.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 01-22-2004).]