anime with strong finishes

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
So what is the difference other then price between the original Gate Keepers release and the signature series? More extras?

As far as I know, it's just the price change and the alteration to the cover art to state "signature series". Like other studios, it's their way of re-releasing older favorites at reduced cost.

My problem with the Christmas Movie is that silly scene near they end where once again Naru's denying what she meant. I know it was setting the series up for the Spring special and the OVA's, and I had already read the Japanese manga at the time so I knew that quite a bit more happens, but it still bothered the heck out of me. I would have been much happier without that scene.

quote:
Originally posted by ekylo:
My problem with the Christmas Movie is that silly scene near they end where once again Naru's denying what she meant. I know it was setting the series up for the Spring special and the OVA's, and I had already read the Japanese manga at the time so I knew that quite a bit more happens, but it still bothered the heck out of me. I would have been much happier without that scene.

I understand your point as I too had read the manga first, but at the same time it's what so many of us have said a different world. Yes you get a lot of cross over fans, yet you probably also gain a whole new group of fans. I think having it end that way obviously set up the Sping Movie and the OVA but if the anime had ended there, minus the lack of setting it was still somewhat parallel to the ending of the manga.

Remember what is the last thing that happens there, I mean the very last thing that Naru does, I am not sure how specific I should be here so this is pehaps too vague. Yet I think that denying is part of the charm at the same time, because like the manga you know what Naru really means, and it's kind of, well to me, naively innocent (part of the charm) to have continually saw the denying of what she previously stated. Though with all that said, it would have more well more of a I guess romantical holiday movie without that last scene.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 01-23-2004).]

Heh I just selectively blocked the last part of the christmas movie

Well that is surely one way around it. I still think part of what makes that well last scene before the ending scene is the music, and that continually amazes me, the quality of music in many of these shows.

quote:
Though with all that said, it would have more well more of a I guess romantical holiday movie without that last scene.

I'm guessing this is what bothers me, that that scene briefly changed the overall mood of the movie, if only temporarily. I guess it's also because I think they could have left that out and done something similar to what they did in Love Hina Again, where Shinobu references what Naru says in the Spring movie and she tries to get out of it. If they could have moved the denial to maybe the begining of the Spring Special, the Christmas movie would have flowed better. (Did that make sense? I'm working off three hours of sleep so I'm even less coherent than normal...)

[This message has been edited by ekylo (edited 01-26-2004).]

I just finished El-Hazard, The Magnificent World and I can recommend both it and El-Hazard 2 as series with conclusive endings. Loose threads are left hanging for tie-ins to the sequel, but the resolution in each is satisfying.

Lots of weirdness in this series. At one point the hero (in drag) gets hit on by a lesbian companion while his girlfriend is being seduced by another lesbian impersonating the hero as herself!

The story is fairly well done with magic and quest elements similar to Magic Knight Rayearth. I think the two MKR series are better done and a better buy, particularly since El Hazard’s list price has increased 30% since I picked it up at RightStuf last year!

quote:
I'm guessing this is what bothers me, that that scene briefly changed the overall mood of the movie, if only temporarily. I guess it's also because I think they could have left that out and done something similar to what they did in Love Hina Again, where Shinobu references what Naru says in the Spring movie and she tries to get out of it. If they could have moved the denial to maybe the begining of the Spring Special, the Christmas movie would have flowed better. (Did that make sense? I'm working off three hours of sleep so I'm even less coherent than normal...)

[This message has been edited by ekylo (edited 01-26-2004).]

That actually did make a lot of sense and I agree that could have easily made the Christmas movie a lot better with the ending. Part of me still thinks though that they were trying to do the, is the phrase 11th hour confession, from Naru that would echo the manga but it surely could have been done differently.

What about Kimagure Orange Road? I know it is an older anime from the late 1980's, and this is a recommendation from a girl that I sometimes get lucky enough to watch some of these shows with, but she asked me to voice that one as one with a strong ending.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 01-28-2004).]

Heh, strangely enough, all I’ve seen of KOR was the first VHS tape and the Summers Beginning movie. It’s one of those series I really want to get but it may be awhile before I do.

El-Hazard, is another one I’ve seen the first series but neither the second or alternate world series. (I have some of the tapes but since I don’t have a complete set, I’ve been fighting the urge to watch them.)

Great, you people are now tempting me to use my tax return on anime instead of doing something sensible like paying off some bills…

quote:

Great, you people are now tempting me to use my tax return on anime instead of doing something sensible like paying off some bills... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Or RENT!
( Now looking at that anime righ now )

quote:
What about Kimagure Orange Road? I know it is an older anime from the late 1980's, and this is a recommendation from a girl that I sometimes get lucky enough to watch some of these shows with, but she asked me to voice that one as one with a strong ending.
Did she mention which episode has the strong ending? I've got DVD volumes 1-12 plus Summer's Beginning (unviewed), but I think the series lasted beyond episode 48 and there's a four-volume OVA set as well.

El-Hazard is one of my all time favourite anime. I didn’t think much of the second OVA series and avoided the TV series’ altogether.

But those original 7 episodes are just brilliant, with a conclusive ending of their own. I picked them up on the two Korean R3 discs. The best part is that they cost just $7 each, have the English dub and decent subtitles and are fully licensed as far as I know. Here’s the link to the first volume if anyone’s interested. Vol. 2 is out of stock at present.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
Did she mention which episode has the strong ending? I've got DVD volumes 1-12 plus Summer's Beginning (unviewed), but I think the series lasted beyond episode 48 and there's a four-volume OVA set as well.

Most probably SCDawg's girlfriend refers to the movie, "I Want to Return to That Day" (which is included in the OVA/Movie box). However, I don't consider it as "strong" (compared to the manga), it was more kinda forced, just enough to give an acceptable ending for anime-only viewers of KOR.

quote:
Originally posted by Interzone:
El-Hazard is one of my all time favourite anime. I didn't think much of the second OVA series and avoided the TV series' altogether.

But those original 7 episodes are just brilliant, with a conclusive ending of their own. I picked them up on the two Korean R3 discs. The best part is that they cost just $7 each, have the English dub and decent subtitles and are fully licensed as far as I know. Here's the link to the first volume if anyone's interested. Vol. 2 is out of stock at present.

Well more than $7 in the US. $107 for the boxed set of the two OVA's from the right stuff. Febuary is a small month and I have a small amount of cash so much later then for me. The TV series looks to be a good price - $72 each.

[This message has been edited by woodelf (edited 01-28-2004).]

Yeah besides the tv series KOR had an 8 ep OVA and 2 movies. I belive the OVAs were basically set in the time between the regular tv series as you can pretty much plug them in anywhere in the last half of the series. They are pretty episodic. The 2 movies are what gave KOR the strong ending.

Isn’t El Hazard is going to be a signature series soon, so the price will be lowered even more than what it is now.

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:
Most probably SCDawg's girlfriend refers to the movie, "I Want to Return to That Day" (which is included in the OVA/Movie box). However, I don't consider it as "strong" (compared to the manga), it was more kinda forced, just enough to give an acceptable ending for anime-only viewers of KOR.

I will ask her but I don't think that was even a movie she was referring to instead of the series itself but I will confirm that thought.

quote:
Originally posted by wanfu2k1:
Isn't El Hazard is going to be a signature series soon, so the price will be lowered even more than what it is now.

So just what is a signature series and why is it cheaper?

quote:
Originally posted by woodelf:
So just what is a signature series and why is it cheaper?

It's just a label to stick on older titles that may not be selling so healthily. Sort of like Nintendo's "Players Choice" or "Platinum" for PS2, I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by Interzone:
It's just a label to stick on older titles that may not be selling so healthily. Sort of like Nintendo's "Players Choice" or "Platinum" for PS2, I guess.

I've also seen it done with the EA Sports games when they are a year or two old, suddenly they become 'classics', I hope though that it brings some popularity back t Gate Keepers I think it is too good of a series to be forgotten.

Yeah it’s just a way to give an old anime new life. Like the greatest hits for the ps2. I love it as there were a couple of series that’s getting the signature treatment that I either forgot to collect or thought was too expensive