Are most games that are translated at least 4 years old

if I’m not wrong they come out a lot later in english than in japanese or chinese

Well, Dave E said before that making Japanese game into an english one, so to speak, can take about 18 months or longer, so it’s no wonder that we have to wait a long time to see new games released here… Theres a webpage where he in interviewed and there he explains that in detail, but I don’t have it here…

[This message has been edited by Spectator Beholder (edited 09-22-2002).]

You also have to take into account the time when the game gets licensed as well. Brave Soul was licensed just a little bit before or soon after it came out in Japan. While Little My Maid was licensed almost Two years after it came out in Japan.

So Brave Soul will be out about 2 years after its original release, while Little My Maid will be out about 4 to 5 years after its original release.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 09-22-2002).]

Quite simply, three things must happen before any game (or manga, or anime) can be released in translation.

1) The work in question must gain enough popularity in its country of origin (in this case Japan) for a company to believe that it will be profitable to release a translated version in another country

2) If the company wishing to do the translation is not the same company that owns the original rights to the work, then the translating company must negotiate for the rights to make and sell a translaed version.

3) The company must then do the actual translation and other production work on the new version.

All of these steps together can require two to three years. In fact, the shortest translation cycle that I have seen for any work is for the Love Hina anime, which was first released in English translation barely twenty months after its initial release in Japan in 2000.

Actually I My Me strawberry eggs probably has faster translations cycle. It’s already out in English now and it was on japanese TV about This time last year I believe. Gatekeepers was also fairly fast in being translated and distribute here. It just depends on how dedicated and how many people they have working on the project.

How about the upcoming Ghost in the Shell TV. I read something about almost simultaneous release.

I thought that Pioneer had a hand with the original production of Strawberry Eggs which shorted the English licensing part later on.

No one has answered the guy why even the Chinese translated titles are released faster than English translated titles. Not to mention there are Chinese versions of Studio Ego games, Sakura Taisen series, Sentimental Graffiti series, and Princess Maker series. Maybe the English market can learn from their examples.

quote:
Originally posted by fxho:
How about the upcoming Ghost in the Shell TV. I read something about almost simultaneous release.

This is different because in simultaneous release, the decision to make the English version was made BEFORE the public release of the Japanese version. In other words, they were planning it right from the start. However, in the case of most series, they want to wait a while to see if it gains popularity with the Japanese audience before even bothering to lay down the money to create the English version--that is why there is often a two year delay.

quote:
Originally posted by gaogao:
No one has answered the guy why even the Chinese translated titles are released faster than English translated titles. Not to mention there are Chinese versions of Studio Ego games, Sakura Taisen series, Sentimental Graffiti series, and Princess Maker series. Maybe the English market can learn from their examples.

It's hard to give an answer when you don't have the background knowledge to even make a guess. Maybe Hogi Bear-san might have an idea with his background, but I don't. I have a few guesses, but they don't have any factual basis to rely on, so they can be nothing more than my opinion as to why a Chinese translation would come out before an English one.

oh yea…I guess u shouldn’t have forgotten about the technical post that lamuness about breaking those lines…because there is no need of spacing between chinese and japanese characters and it’s much easier to translate japanese games to chinese than english…as about the engine…most probably cause they use a similar character set so it wouldn’t be so difficult as well(but I’m not sure about anything with programming, cause I haven’t learnt a programming language other than html lolz)

sighs
HTML is NOT a programming language. A formatting language at best.

lolz…you didn’t have to make me so embrassed

I just remembered something. Chinese versions of adult games (at least the old ones) leave all the adult images unedited. Time and resources don’t have to be wasted uncensoring those images which is another reason they’re released faster. If only the English market can learn to be more understanding and tolerant of those mosaics…

i dunno… i dont mind… just release that patch 3 months from now and im happy… hehe AHAHAHAHA ok sorry… this post was in NO means intended to offend ANY companies currently releasing games… but if it did by chance do that… then @#!$ YOU! hehe

P.S. (after posting this i noticed) IM NOT A JUNIOR MEMBER ANYMORE WOOOO!!! FREE B33R for ALL!!! (umm… then a 5$ fee applys after you drink it for can/bottle disposal purposes.)

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 09-26-2002).]

Well if you wanna go the extreme on getting something here fast try Big-O it’s going to be released here first on CN then shown in Japan hows that for fast translating

Oh on Chinese translated games. I think the reason why there are more chinese translated games is because the languages are so similar. Remember Kanji is borrowed from Chinese characters and alot if not most kanji mean the same or similar things in both languages. So it would be alot easier to localize it to chinese than english.

mosiac…I have heard both rumours about that

1)there are programs that can uncensor mosiac…one of my friend says he uses some program where he matches mosiac against the same type of mosiac to get rid of them(most probably tool and picture)(I can’t understand why he says it’s tiring though)

2)there are no programs that can uncensor mosiac, you have to draw them on your own

quote:
Originally posted by tryo_kane:
mosiac...I have heard both rumours about that

1)there are programs that can uncensor mosiac....one of my friend says he uses some program where he matches mosiac against the same type of mosiac to get rid of them(most probably tool and picture)(I can't understand why he says it's tiring though)

2)there are no programs that can uncensor mosiac, you have to draw them on your own

Grrr...dammit, I don't even know HOW I posted this empty, but here goes.

I am more inclined to agree with 2. The mosaicing process is not, mathematically speaking, invertible. That is, there are many different source images that will mosaic-out to the same final image. It is a many-to-one function. Therefore there is no way to deterministically reverse the mosaic.

However, you could use pattern recognition software to attempt to guess what was there originally. Emphasis on "guess"--I have no idea how effective such software would be. But I *do* know that I can't imagine anyone with that level of skill bothering to create a demosaic tool.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 09-29-2002).]

are mosiac actually jumbled up puzzle pieces?
or do they look alike?

quote:
Originally posted by tryo_kane:
are mosiac actually jumbled up puzzle pieces?
or do they look alike?

There are different kinds of mosaics. some are a blur, some mosaics just cover the head od the organ itself, and so on...