Are we getting another dark-themed game?

This is simply reiterating what I said in another post, but I’d still LOVE to see another straight-up dark themed Tsuki Possession or Virgin Roster game. I think it’s due time for another, since it’s been a long time.

With the exception of Amorous Professor Cherry, lately we’ve been getting nothing but “feel good hentai’s” with a sprinkle of niche titles like lolli, cat girls, and obscure gameplay mechanics with Pretty Soldier Wars and Raidy. I like the “feel good” stuff and new gameplay mechanics, but the weird cat stuff has been overdone to death by now. What’s worse, since they’re niche titles in a niche market, I’m concerned these titles may be wasted time and energy spent better toward more attractive titles.

Maybe I’m in the minority when I say this, but I don’t think niche titles are the way to go in the U.S. Seriously, convince someone who has never played hentai before with a lolli and or cat girl game - you cant do it. They may actually call the cops on you with the way some of these girls look =D.

Honestly, if it was up to me I’d be releasing nothing but dark themed games because that’s where the money is. Some Japanese companies even specialize in this, like Black Cyc. This is why I’m going to start my own h-gaming company (kidding, har har). I don’t want to single the American demographic into a single group, but I just think we enjoy things a bit more violent in nature.

All right, now hit me with everything ya got =).

[ 01-14-2008, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: ReMeDy ]

I think we need a loli-themed game.

A sci-fi/fantasy, twincest, dark, goth loli-themed game.

[ 01-15-2008, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Jinnai ]

No dark games recently? I don’t know about you but I’d say Discipline is plenty dark themed.

Honestly, I don’t agree with you though. A vast majority of people who play H-games/VNs avoid dark themes like the plague. As you said, this is indeed a niche market, and if they do nothing but dark theme games, they lose out of a lot of potential customers.

I think they’re going in a proper direction. They aren’t offering any one single type of theme, but making a point to hit on various forms and styles, which opens up their chances at furthering sales.

Agreed… mostly. They should do another where you have the OPTION of light or dark. Cause… well… sometimes you just feel like being an evil, sadistic bastard. And other times you feel like a delicious and moist piece of cake – but that’s neither here nor there.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Black Cyc is no company
It is a brand of the company Cyc.

Cyc has more brands who specialize to other target audiences, for example White Cyc who delivers “feel good hentai” as you would put it and Cyc Rose that even makes yaoi.

Thus, specialization usually only happens for certain brands. And actually, that should be no surprise, because that’s what brands are for…

[ 01-15-2008, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Unicorn ]

Well, I don’t know for sure if it counts in what you’re looking for as I haven’t played the game myself, but a while ago there was a message thing that mentioned PP trying to get the rights for a game called Death Meta. Narg has played it and he said it was an okay game. Not sure if it ended up bought for English release or not.

I don’t like dark themed games. I prefer the feel good type the one’s that make you laugh. And yes we need some Loli-Themed Games! Loli’s are the best.

[ 01-15-2008, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: GogetaSS4 ]

I’d like to see more yaoi and otome games personally.
I enjoy both dark and light games. A strong story, likable characters and pretty art will hook me either way.

Heh… yea… despite what we Sith Lords might teach ya, Cyc has a Light Side. :smiley:

Of course you then have branches like Anim which aren’t doing so hot IMHO.

Ah… that’s the key though… its an okay game and all, but since then Peach Princess has REALLY ramped up its standards. Their recent releases, as well as announced titles, are on a new level of quality. Therefore it would be best for them to not purse that.

Bullet Butlers, which has its own thread on the Japanese Bishoujo board, is MUCH, MUCH better prospect. On a technicality however, neither Death Meta or Bullet Butlers are truly dark titles… just “very serious” in mood. When you say dark… I tend to think (NSFW link follows) DARK . :cool:

[ 01-16-2008, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Nargrakhan ]

I really really really don’t like dark themed games. XChange is too dark for me.

You Jedi and your purist ideals. :wink:

XChange wasn’t really dark, just stupid. I’d like to see more of something like Hitomi. Not really dark, just kind of confused whether we want a slave or a lover.

Don’t forget Black Package and Black Package Try. Me I like both light theme and dark themed games (most especially those with good story and artwork) so bring on more of of both.

In the words of my favorite D. Gray-man character:

“The white side of me and the black side of me…having both is so much fun.”

Speaking of dark games, a few months ago http://blackrainbow.jp/index2.html has finally released something on par with the old Saimin Gakuen:

Saiminjutsu 2
http://blackrainbow.jp/br/jutsu2/index.html
http://erogamescape.dyndns.org/~ap2/ero/toukei_kaiseki/game.php?game=9494
http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=416205
http://pro.dlsite.com/work/=/product_id/VJ002536.html

Mind control is the main fetish, of course, but with something new and extreme added, this time: incest.
In this game, you can dominate, abuse, rape and, finally, MARRY (more or less :wink: ) your mother, her sister/your aunt, the daughter of your aunt/your cousin, or even the entire trio (only in the harem ending, however).
This is the first time I’ve got that motherfucker feel playing erogames :stuck_out_tongue: , but the Quality Score of this game is SO high that I don’t care much (but I’ve chosen the cousin as my favored slavebride, since I don’t love -much- mama women with jelly boobs :stuck_out_tongue: ).
No loli here, Peapri. Or even games like these are taboo for you :stuck_out_tongue: ?

jelly boobs, huh? are they really that bad?

Well technically, there is a system that i follow by.

Very Dark, Dark, Semi-Dark, Neutral, Semi-Light, Light, Sappy

Very Dark- I played only one game that falls into this class so far. bible Black, boy is that shit DARK AS HELL!!!

Dark- Now this is you general evil hero brutalizing his women or the other way around, but nothing in the Bible Black region. Games that fall into this genre is Sensei 2, Tsuki and Gibo.

Semi-Dark- Not exactly that bad but the Hero is definitely no saint. Slave pageant actually falls into this category because you are initially shoved in a dark position but it ends somewhat well. Another is Hitomi where not all the paths are bad but there are more “dark” esque endings than light ones.

Neutral- The not dark not light genre but can be seen either way. Kana is one game where you get this situation. Its not really dark, but it isn’t the game you would find a completely good ending in.

Semi-Light- Games that generally end good but things can be curved a bit. Private nurse and heart De Roommate both fall into this category since you get some sudden twists in the game that changes your perspective. X change alternative also fits into this since the characters are mostly not dark but you get one or two oddities.

Light- Gamnes that are a bit one sided but still give you a bit of plot twists. There isn’t a lot of sadness in these games but there is a chance. Games that follow this pattern is stuff like Snow Sakura, The Sagara family. (The Sagara family does have its dark points but most of it is shoved aisde for the main hero since it functions on slapstick humor A LOT).

Sappy- These are the games where it technically can DO NO WRONG. Basically, it is almost a given for it to end smoothly and you will only fail if you get the bad ending. For everything else, it really is just one big run to the finish line and live happily ever after. Games that follow this pattern are “Pick me Honey” and “Come see me tonight” where there is almost NO conflict.

coffcoffcoff Shukketsubo - the virgin roaster coffcoffcoff

Also, there was “Destopia”, that easily out-darks Bible Black and Shukketsubo!

You are quickly running out of even-darker-categories if you waste one for a game that at least still has a possible happy ending, like “Bible Black”!

And if I ever games like Touchy’s “Mayonaka” would be released here… :eek:

[ 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Unicorn ]

I prefer feel good Games, but i don’t say no to Dark Games when they have a good Story :slight_smile:

In my humble opinion, you’re confusing the dark nature of a game and its brutish nature.
For instance, “Tsukihime” or “Demonbane” are pretty dark games, but not brutish at all, with no “evil hero brutalizing” anyone. Even in romance games, I could mention “Tenshi no inai 12gatsu”, which is very dark, yet absolutely not brutish and fully romantic.

[ 01-16-2008, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol ]

Well, not at all :o , but I still have a prejudice against boobs with people attached to them :wink: .