Buying some new games

I own the JAST Memorial, Critical Point, and Tokimeki Check In! I prefer light hearted games, or games with a good story. I like the style of art done in these games the most as well. Any recommendations?

Kana Little Sister
True Love '95
Do You Like Horny Bunnies? 1-2
Tsukushite Agechau 4
Come See Me Tonight 1-2
Snow Drop
Private Nurse
Let’s Meow Meow
Brave Soul
Tottemo Pheromone
Eve the Burst Error
Desire (it made me sad)
Pick Me, Honey!
Kango Shicyauzo 1-2
Heart de Roommate

quote:
Originally posted by Billybob:
I own the JAST Memorial, Critical Point, and Tokimeki Check In! I prefer light hearted games, or games with a good story. I like the style of art done in these games the most as well. Any recommendations?

Well, the best bgames ever released in Japan are still there - that is, they were never released outside Japan - but you can still find some very good bgames translated. Check bellow:

MISTERY/DETECTIVE THEMES
*Desire (F&C, Animated)
*EVE Burst Error (1st of the EVE series, Non-H, Animated)
*Adam the Double Factor (4th of the EVE series, H**, Animated)
*Divi-Dead (horror)
*Chain
*Critical Point (24+ endings)

DARK/FORBIDDEN THEMES
*Fatal Relations
*Gloria (40+ endings)
*Tsuki-Possession (Animated)
*Virgin Roster (Animated)
*Amy Fantasies
*Slave Pageant
*Idols Galore
*Jewel Knights Cruzaders
*DOR
*Sensei 2
*Water Closet
*Transfer Student
*Hitomi My Stepsister (VM)

LIGHT ROMANCE/COMEDY
*Kango Shicyauzo 1&2
*Come See me Tonight 1&2
*Tottemo Pheromone
*I'm Gonna Serve You 4
*Tokimeki Check-In (17 endings)
*Pick Me, Honey (VM)
*Let's Meow Meow (VM)

DRAMATIC/STORY FOCUSED
*Heart de Roommate
*Kana-Little Sister
*Crescendo
*Private Nurse
*Snow Drop
*Little My Maid
*Phantom of Inferno DVDPG (Non-H)
*Hourglass of Summer DVDPG (Non-H)
*Jastusa Pack (3Sis, SeaSak, RunCity)
*Milkyhouse Pack (NoctIl, MayClub)

FUNNY/SEXY-ROMP
*Do you Like Horny Bunnies 1&2 (Animated)
*Maid Story
*Hitozuma Hime Club
*Legend of Fairies
*Fairy Nights
*X-Change 1&2
*Sagara Family (10+ endings, animated)
*Viper M1 (animated)
*Viper V16 (animated)

PLAYABLE
*Kotobuki (action)
*Love Love Show
*Hentai Anime Poker
*Viper LE (Animated)
*Viper Paradice (animated)
*Brave Soul (RPG)

I hope that helps you to find what you want [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]...

[This message has been edited by Peter Gilis (edited 03-05-2005).]

I wouldn’t call it a light game (although it has lighter moments), but if you want a game with a kickass story and some of the best atmosphere I’ve ever seen in a game pick up Divi Dead. I can’t stress enough how awesome the game is. It’s just… beautiful and mysterious,

To narrow it down, I’d recommend you Brave Soul. I’ve played - and liked - the games you own and out of the rest Brave Soul is easily my favourite. Also, this is an RPG, so it offers more gameplay than most of the other games.

(Of course, I would also recommend you True Love, but it’s difficult to find a copy. However, if you manage to obtain one then go for it!)

I’m sorry to admit but I pirated a copy if true love…it was not easy to find, but I still love it. I ordered kango shicauzo 2 and crescendo. I will order brave soul next. sorry, I will buy more soon though!

[This message has been edited by Billybob (edited 03-06-2005).]

Casual Romance Club may also be a game that might interest you. It’s a light hearted dating sim. It offers a number of girls, interactivity, and is challenging.

Nice list peter saves me the trouble of listing all the games I like

Thanks!!

Sorry if it seems like I’m bumping my old topic, but I just figured I’d let anyone who cares know that I got Crescendo and Kango Shicyauzo 2. Thought I’d go with something light and H-scene heavy, and something really emotional and thoughtful. As for other games I am thinking of getting Totemmo Pheromone. I will have to read deeper into the other titles again before I find any other I want to buy next.

Just a small nitpick with Peter_Gilis’s list…I wouldn’t classify Little My Maid as a story-focused game. It does have some semblance of story going for it, but I think anyone expecting something like Kana/Crescendo/Snow Drop/Private Nurse etc. will be sorely disappointed…

@Billybob: You’ll have to play Crescendo and tell us what you think. If you like it, you’re sure to like Kana.

I wouldn’t call “Idols Galore” a dark game. It’s just typical Hentai. The main character does force several of the girls to have sex with him, but after that, it’s a standard “falling in love while enjoying the gal” storyline. It seems very typical of the genre. What qualifies it as “Dark” or “Forbidden Theme”? Idols is just a shorter version of Tottome Pheromone… except the main character in Idols is a Yakuza Trouble Shooter. Is it the “Idols” (Celebrities) part that makes it Dark/Forbidden?

Check-In itself has some “forced” scenes in it on the good paths, and it isn’t a “Dark” game. So I’m curious why the distinction. Idols seems to me to belong in the same place as Pheromone. Again, I’m just curious as to the distinction.

Little My Maid I would put in Mystery or Dark listing. It seems to me that it isn’t any more story focused them most of the light romance/comedy games currently listed. Just My Opinion, YMMV, no B-Game Gals hurt in the making of this post, yadda yadda blah, beware of mobile citrus.

[This message has been edited by Darkstar (edited 03-15-2005).]

Protagonist rape = dark in my book. From what I’ve heard, every girl in Idol’s Galore is raped by the protagonist as a mandatory feature of the story. That’s enough “darkness” to classify it as a dark game to me, regardless of what comes later. Call it pseudo-dark if you want. Tokimeki Check-In features some rape, but it’s optional and certainly a much smaller overall part of the story than in Idol’s Galore. And if I remember correctly, only one girl out of the all the girls in the game is shown being raped.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 03-15-2005).]

Dark Shiki, if you consider forced sex to be dark, then most of the games on that list are dark.

There’s rape/forced sex in Totteme Pheromone, Check In, Little My Maid, Critical Point, Let’s Meow Meow, Runaway City, Maid Story, Legend of Fairies, Fairy Nights, and Snow Drop. Your character gets raped in MayClub and X-Change. And rape features prominantly in all Viper story/adventure titles.

Again… Idol isn’t any darker then any other sex romp that turns into love. It’s actually lighter then many games in that above list.

Play it and see. The actual game is your average H-Game sex romp turns to love. I think it would have been a far better game if they had skipped that first “gotta have her now” romp through all the girls. It would be a light romance if they had skipped that. If the writer(s) had chosen to have the gals get drunk and then things happened, it would perfectly fit the story and the sex romp tone. But forced sex is the plot device the creators choose to get the lady characters “committed” to the main character (you know how poor B-Gals are in Hentai games). Unfortunately, its very standard fare.

So… if the main character of Idols had used alcohol, chemicals, mind control, or voodoo to get his way with the gals in Idol, you’d call it the same as Pheromone then? Light Romance/Sex romp? Is that the key seperator quality?

What is it that makes a game “dark”? I believe that you’d agree that is the themes, settings, and/or attitude towards the women in the game. In that sense, Idols isn’t dark. All of those elements are missing.

If it’s just forced sex scenes, a lot of games are out of place on the list. If we overlook the occasional forced sex scene in so many of these games, then Idols is just another sex romp with a butt-head main character “bulling in” where he is already welcomed. Some of the gals just don’t tell him that plainly until afterward. Again, standard H-game feature.

I think as more people play Idols, they’ll decide it’s a sex romp with a “poor” opening towards your pickable gals. But that’s just my opinion. It certainly isn’t a pure light game, but anyone getting the game because it’s a dark or domination or similar game is going to be highly disappointed after the first scene with the Idols, as the game changes over to standard romp mates falling in love. And that’s the tone it had in the earlier sex scenes (romp mates playing).

Humm… Maybe we need a “dim” category to go with the “dark” category?

[This message has been edited by Darkstar (edited 03-16-2005).]

Well, I have played through Crescendo 5 times, gotten 4 good endings and one neutral ending. I like the game a whole lot, though sometimes the characters anger me a little by being so darn ignorant, but that’s how they were scripted so we can’t help that. It’s very good, love the emotional feelings. I also enjoy the music a whole lot. The piano suits that game quite well.

But, I am mildly disappointed with the endings. They seem very abrupt, and it kind of disappoints me. I know, they probably wanted to leave it up to us what happens after that point, but I’m just not very good at believing my own stories, I like it better when a writer puts it into the game. Though that doesn’t mean I don’t make up my own extended stories.

spoilers

One of the scenes with Yuka, when she is raped somewhat disgusts me. I know it’s fairly standard in these games, and her character seems like the most likely for it to happen too, it still makes my stomach churn and feel sickly to even read it. I had to skip through it quickly, because the guys had voices in the games too, unlike most others. The last thing I want is to hear there dialogue during a rape scene. Makes me even sicker than usual.

Anyway, I laughed, I cried, I felt queasy during a rape, seems like standard fare for a b-game. That game gets a 9/10 from me. After I unlock more scenes and endings, I will move onto Kango Shicyauzo 2. I’m really looking forward to it!

Let me reiterate that I haven’t actually played Idol’s Galore. That said, I’ve heard that the protagonist in Idol’s Galore is a jerk. He’s sleazy, self-centered, and misogynistic, much like the protagonist of Slave Pageant.

Again, I must point out that rape is a mandatory feature of the game in Idol’s Galore, for almost every girl. I already explained my reasoning for TCI. I don’t remember any rape in Tottemo Pheromone. LMMD can be sort of dark, but it’s optional. Critical Point features protagonist rape, yes, but AFAIK it’s only a small part of the overall story for certain characters (I only played a couple of the paths). It’s not consistent enough to label it as dark. I haven’t played Let’s Meow Meow, but I wasn’t aware that protagonist rape was a significant part of the story of that game. Haven’t played Runaway City. Maid’s Story is indeed pseudo dark. Legend of Fairies and Fairy Nights don’t make sense in the first place. I don’t remember protagonist rape in the one half-path I played of Snow Drop. I haven’t played enough of May Club to comment. X-change is so ridiculous that it defies conventional classifcation. I haven’t played any of the Viper series.

I don’t want to play Idol’s Galore. The only reason I’ve played so many b-games as it is is that I used to pirate them. I don’t anymore, and I see no need to spend my money on such a game just to prove a point. Truth be told, even if I were still a pirate I still wouldn’t get Idol’s Galore. It’s not interesting enough to me to even be worth the time I’d spend playing it.

Again, I wouldn’t classify Idol’s Galore as a “true” dark game. Pseudo-dark is more accurate, I think. But with that kind of opening, it’s certainly not a light game like Tottemo Pheromone. But enough arguing about a game I haven’t even played! I’m sure others that have actually played it can argue the point better than I can.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 03-16-2005).]

@Billybob: Glad you liked it. Like I said, if you liked Crescendo, you should also like Kana. They’re made by the same company (D.O.), and most of us here agree that they’re the best two story-focused H-games on the English market. If you don’t mind a game without the H, Hourglass of Summer by Hirameki is another great story-focused game. If you like RPG’s/fantasy, I also highly recommend Brave Soul.

Ahh glad you liked crescendo. It’s a great game

Yep, it sure is. So far Yuka is my favorite character. She’s so cute and has a wonderful personality. I really wish they would’ve cut that damn scene out. I don’t think it added anything to the story that couldn’t of already been there. I still have two more girls to get, then I will go for the hidden girl, then I’ll probably fool around and make a bunch of dumb choices, make the girls angry, and see how things turn out. I’m not particularly happy with bad endings, but I suppose it might help me get some of the harder to find CG’s. Fun fun fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Billybob:
I really wish they would've cut that damn scene out. I don't think it added anything to the story that couldn't of already been there.

Sorry, but I have to disagree.
If that "damn scene" wouldn't have happened, a particular later action of her in the shower wouldn't have happened or at least would have lacked a reason. But actually that second event was a key to their relationship growing even stronger and finally gave her the strength to disclose the events from her past to him.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 03-18-2005).]