C-G's Virtual-Mate?

What is it? All I’ve come to understand is that you play some type of game (Virtual-Mate)?? And it mentions about getting deals on there own games.

Maybe it’s just the cynic in me, but it sounds suspiciously like Windows XP activation. Except you do it every time you start the game. I really hope the “game” they’re referring to is this Virtual Mate and not the real game.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more it really does sound like the newest development in anti-piracy…

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 10-14-2004).]

I don’t like it. What if my internet is down? What if I play on a computer without a internet connection? What if G-collections shuts down their US branch? Will the game not run?

Maybe you can call customer service if you don’t have Internet, like you can with Windows XP. I’m sure if you ask nicely each time you call them, they’ll be happy to let you play…

lol…

They call Virtual-Mate a “gaming system”. Then they describe a registration process.

In other words, this is their new copy protection scheme.

As I understand the description, it does something to the installation so you have to enter a username/passwd to get into the game. I don’t think you have to submit a check via the Internet each time you boot the game, just upon registration.

It would also appear that the system is to be used in multiple games, and once you’ve registered once, you’re registered permanently. Then I think all you have to do is enter product keys.

Among other things this will mean you can’t sell your games because the product key will already have been used.

They say that as a result of using this system they’re going to reduce prices; and that it will also feature premium services. This might mean there will be a ‘protected’ version of the game that is cheaper, and a ‘regular price’ version. But I doubt it.

I think I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again now: product activation can suck it. If my suspicions are accurate, there goes my support for G-collections. I’m only ever buying things like Crescendo and Kana, should they ever again release anything of that caliber.

Manditory product activation bothers me, but I want G collections and others to survive and translate more so I’ll endure the nuisence to cut piracy.

Besides I’m really looking forward to Let’s Meow Meow!

They are going to force me to not play their games if they pull this product activation crap. I totally do not support it. It is user-unfriendly, and just a pile of garbage. I’m buying the the software, The only thing anti-piracy software is good for is screwing over the loyal customers.

So much for playing myan myan in english -_-. Now I get to play it in japanese, why? because internet registration is the worst antipiracy scheme ever. I really suggest anyone who is against it boycott it. it is the only way we will get gc to see their BIG MISTAKE.

EVIL EVIL BLOOD SUCKING ONLINE REGISTRATION.

EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL

i am going to stay neutral on this issue, just in case sometime in the future someone decides to stab me with a previous comment like in lmm…but all i can say is that i have seen a couple of b-games in japan that uses this feature. some are sold at lower prices (5000-6000yen compared to the regular 9000), but some are still at the same price range. how these versions exactly work is beyond me since i didn’t play any of them. i forgot which companies (or which games, for that matter) used that feature but it may be possible that cd-bros (gc’s source company) used them for some of their games which lead gc to use them as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:

As I understand the description, it does something to the installation so you have to enter a username/passwd to get into the game. I don't think you have to submit a check via the Internet each time you boot the game, just upon registration.

Okay, that would be *somewhat* less bothersome, if true. But what is the point of the password in the first place? Once you've activated it, why the password every time you play?

Ignoring the password issue for now, I might be able to swallow this. But if I can't even sell the games...that will truly be it for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
This might mean there will be a 'protected' version of the game that is cheaper, and a 'regular price' version. But I doubt it.

There would be no point if pirates could get ahold of an unprotected version. In fact, it won't matter anyway, because they'll just hack themselves an unprotected version.

ya know… you can stop hackers up to a point(though in the end they will still win)… however the harder you try to stop them… the more determined they are to crack it, reguardless of if they want the item or not… there are guy that sit around with jolt cola and try to crack codes and hack things 24/7 and theres nothing that can be done to stop em…

I hated Windows XP for what they did… i dont wanna have to register something every single time i get a mobo/cpu changed (for me its about every 4-6 months some times more, however i get a discount on em so it happens more often than not)

Dont get me wrong guys, ive bought every single title that g-collections and peapri has to offer reguardless of if i like it or not… i support the industry so even it i dont like it… i play it maybe 1 ending and shelf it.

All this to say… i dont like the idea of having to enter a password every time i boot the game, i really dont, once i buy a game… it should be mine and i should have a choice of if i want to register it or not, im not saying i wont give this 1 title a try… but as the point was said earlier… if g-collections one day decides that the english market didnt do well enough… and pack up… can i play this game?

I register it once and get a password?
if i un-install it… do i need another password after i reinstall it?

Guess we find out in 10 days…

This sounds like the equivalent of the Japanese ¬Él¬Éb¬Ég¬É¬è¬Å[¬ÉN¬ê√ö¬ë¬±"√Ö versions, where the games with product activation are 2000 yen cheaper. The good news is that the customer has a choice between this version and the normal priced 8800 yen versions. There are always 2 versions that are released. Here’s one example:

The normal version
http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=73221

and the network version
http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=90741

No need to jump to a hasty conclusion and freak out.

Again…what exactly is the point if pirates can get ahold of the other version?

They can probably sell user information from the registration to other companies.

quote:
Originally posted by gaogao:
No need to jump to a hasty conclusion and freak out.

That depends on if G-C is about to make both kinds of versions available as well or offers only the online-version.

In the latter case, G-Collections has decided that they don't need my money anymore.

I’m reserving judgement, too. It looks like they may be offering this copy-protected version in addition to the regular version, but I’m not sure. If they aren’t, that’s it for them…

now I gotta go to work.

Obscene ranting

I’ve launched a thread to boicot G-Coll products here in Italy. It was closed for obscene language. You can figure out how italian h-gamers community accepted this news.