C-G's Virtual-Mate?

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:
One day i'll tell you how i bashed several "Kana" pirates, Lamuness-sama.... kidding, i don't want them to identify me. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

i will let you tell your story to gc, not me. we didn't translate kana, they did. i think they are more interested in hearing it than i do :P

Does anyone know any other English boards where Virtual-Mate is being discussed? I did a web search, but all I could find were a few stray comments on a Spanish news site. It would be interesting to see how other people are reacting to this.

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 10-23-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Nandemonai:
[B] I am choosing to be diplomatic and assume that at the time they announced "patch after one year" they did in fact mean it; that whoever made this decision believed it would be final. That it was overruled the same day doesn't necessarily mean it was not believed at the time it was made.[B]

If G-C USA branch's CEO made the decision to announce "patch after one year," and then he gets overruled by the home office in Japan, I wouldn't call that lying. It just means whoever's in charge rejected the patch after one year plan.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamuness:
alright guys, you are pushing it.... discussing ways to go around the vmate system. even though it doesnt directly affect peapri, i cannot endorse any discussion like this. [b]italicus (and others), i ask all of you to stop discussing about this crack; you guys are getting too detailed and technical regarding how to go about this crack and i cannot let you guys go any further with this here, REGARDLESS OF REASON. whether you hate vmate or not is none of my concern, and i cannot control what you guys do in your lives and outside of this bbs and how you reverse-enginneer stuff on your own, but i cannot allow any discussions like this on my turf since this is a company bbs.
[/b]

Nice catch, mister moderator. If PP bbs is used to discuss the actual mechanics of how to crack VM, then PP would be considered facilating piracy and could be sued by G-C.

[This message has been edited by Lamuness (edited 10-23-2004).]

In the interest of fairness, I’ve decided upon thinking of ways in which the infamous V-Mate system might indeed be a beneficial thing.

Off the top of my head, one way that I could think of where V-Mate might come in handy would be in the case of theft. Let us say that a thief goes and steals an already activated V-Mate game. The said thief would then find out that the stolen V-Mate game would not be usable.

Of course, if the thief steals the entire computer that the activated V-Mate game is played on, along with the activated V-Mate game, then the owner will have much bigger problems than just merely having the game stolen.

quote:
Originally posted by Ecchifan:
If G-C USA branch's CEO made the decision to announce "patch after one year," and then he gets overruled by the home office in Japan, I wouldn't call that lying. It just means whoever's in charge rejected the patch after one year plan.

Yes but wouldn't the one in charge of the branch office know (s)he cannot make a decision like that without the home office approval? Something like this (to a lesser extent) must have happened before in a way that requried a decision to be made and had the way they are made indicated right?

I just think if they did know there is a good chance their decision might be withdrawn and they said it anyway its dangerous to make such a statement especially when they already have a very angry group up people because it can easily look like a lie even if it is not a lie. Even more so by people not on these boards that have a chance to learn of the hierarchy of a Japanese business and how such decisions are made from the top down and not from a branch office.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 10-23-2004).]

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
Does anyone know any other English boards where Virtual-Mate is being discussed? I did a web search, but all I could find were a few stray comments on a Spanish news site. It would be interesting to see how other people are reacting to this.

To be honest I am not sure of that many other boards that discuss Bishoujo games in general, but I have been wondering about that too, is there an independent board where no one will care about saying things pirates already know?
quote:
Originally posted by OleGoatweed:
Off the top of my head, one way that I could think of where V-Mate might come in handy would be in the case of theft. Let us say that a thief goes and steals an already activated V-Mate game. The said thief would then find out that the stolen V-Mate game would not be usable. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
How would you get the game back though? Or what if the theif is someone you sold a game to in the past and someone that already has your id and password as a result? Just throwing out the same flaws in the system others have mentioned in other lights.
quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:

To be honest I am not sure of that many other boards that discuss Bishoujo games in general, but I have been wondering about that too, is there an independent board where no one will care about saying things pirates already know?

The Megatokyo boards. Anyone here a mainstay on any of the Megatokyo boards? There might be a good place to bring it up.

[This message has been edited by Nandemonai (edited 10-23-2004).]

quote:
...but I think we shouldn't let ourselves become too set in our blanket view of it as "Satan's work," or some such.

Hey! Trying to steal credit for my not-so-hard-earned accomplishments, eh?

quote:
I'm missing a joke here, aren't I?

So am I.

... do you really WANT to know what he's talking about?

Nandemonai mail me the address please

quote:
Originally posted by OleGoatweed:
Off the top of my head, one way that I could think of where V-Mate might come in handy would be in the case of theft. Let us say that a thief goes and steals an already activated V-Mate game. The said thief would then find out that the stolen V-Mate game would not be usable. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Aaand you still have to buy a new copy.

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:
Nandemonai mail me the address please

... uh, the Megatokyo boards. megatokyo.com and poke around and you'll find the forums.

I stopped reading Megatokyo a long time ago, so I dunno anything about it anymore, much less how the organize their forums.

I have posted on those boards but like here it’s been a while but I will check [edit] nothing about it though they do talk about Kana. Personally I am still following the ‘comic’ but lost track of the boards.

Another thought, with this V-mate system will they limit the number of games each person can buy? That is if for some reason someone wants to buy four, one for themselves three as gifts, will they allow that? Doesn’t it defeat the system to sell a lot of games so someone can suddenly have nine accounts instead of the three that come with each game?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 10-23-2004).]

Of all the problems with the V-Mate system, reselling should be the easiest to solve. All the owner has to do is de-register the game before selling it. GC’s database updates its record to show that game #123456 is no longer active. When the new owner receives it, he just reregisters and starts fresh. The game would only be registered to one owner at a time, so what’s the issue?

There’s a bishoujo game forum at OtakuFridge, and Animetric.

quote:
Originally posted by perigee:
Of all the problems with the V-Mate system, reselling should be the easiest to solve. All the owner has to do is de-register the game before selling it. GC's database updates its record to show that game #123456 is no longer active. When the new owner receives it, he just reregisters and starts fresh. The game would only be registered to one owner at a time, so what's the issue?
Didn't they say at one time though you couldn't de-register the game, that is you have to sell the id and password for that game? Or was it only that even if you de-register it the game still only has one or two 'slots' or whatever they call them left open of the original three?

I was just thinking if they restricted the number of computers you could register the game on, three per game, they might not be open to selling people multiple (two or three) games since in theory you could have it on 9 computers. Okay not sure how to explain it but it made sense in my mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Benoit:
There's a bishoujo game forum at OtakuFridge, and Animetric.

Any news of this system on them?

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
Didn't they say at one time though you couldn't de-register the game, that is you have to sell the id and password for that game? Or was it only that even if you de-register it the game still only has one or two 'slots' or whatever they call them left open of the original three?
GC obviously needs to clarify their explanation, but my understanding was that the registration process somehow associates the game with system information to prevent installation on more than three systems. Giving your ID to someone else is unnecessary. Let the new owner open his own account with his own ID and password. Why wouldn't that work?

quote:
I was just thinking if they restricted the number of computers you could register the game on, three per game, they might not be open to selling people multiple (two or three) games since in theory you could have it on 9 computers. Okay not sure how to explain it but it made sense in my mind.
If I understand what you're asking, you wouldn't register multiple copies of a game to your account. Have the recipients create their own accounts. GC may not have spelled this out, but it seems like a simple procedure to me.