Daiteikoku

You forget Rommel, you can get him in africa.

So how difficult is this game compared to Sengoku Rance?

Harder by the virtue of the fact its not translated completely yet.

But, I would say its probably more challenging than sengoku rance. Thats my guess. xD

I actually thought the nazi girl that joins you at the start of game was using some kind of surface warships but after beating the game I only learned that she has is submarines >_> And to think… she survived so many direct engagements.

Oh wow, yeah, looks like it may be best to just restart. I think I’ve got a kind of handle on combat/building fleets at this point, so I can probably just plow through territory the first 10 turns or so.It’ll also let me save Togo’s invincibility for Hawaii, cause I really don’t see any way to take it early outside of U-Boats or waiting until I have my own carrier fleets. When I first started I was trying to get through each encounter without any damage to any ships in my fleet, also really thought radar was more important than it really is. I can understand how a carrier always strikes first, but I was hoping radar would be more important in determining order of fire.

Having not played any Rance games, I can’t say it’s more or less difficult. All I can really say is that I’m going to restart Daiteikoku, and it takes a LOT for me to give up on a playthrough. I haven’t had any shouting moments ala Demon Souls or received any early game beat-downs like Witcher 2, so it’s tough, but not frustratingly so.

I managed to ally dokutsu while picking choices randomly. My only gripe is that there’s not enough events with reita adolf.

And yes, Radar determines which order you fire in.

Airplane, Lasers, Missles, Ballistics.

1000 radar airplane will always beat 100 radar airplane.

But 100 radar airplane will always beat 1000 radar lasers because of range on the weapon.

In terms of gameplay, I enjoyed Daiteikoku more than both Daibanchou and Daiakuji… I feel it’s actually a little bit easier than Daibanchou, although it’s definitely much harder than Sengoku and Kichikuou Rance. My main criticism is that the difficulty often falls flat at a certain point near the end and you’re basically left with ‘cleaning up’ enemies that can’t touch you.

In terms of scenario, it’s probably the weakest of all of them- the characters are pretty great but they definitely don’t get used to their full potential. Most of the game script covers relatively uninteresting events that generally happen the same way each time (after a while I started CTRLing most of the game) and I would have liked the scenario to cover more ‘paths’ of gameplay- a decent ‘route’ where you don’t ally with Dokutsu/Itarin would have been nice, for example. My favourite moments of the game were bits like the white hole event, the rescuing Leetia event etc.- if the game had more of that sort of thing I’d be all over it.

In general, the core gameplay (building fleets, strategically assigning them to admirals) is very solid (and, like Eien no Aselia, luck has almost no influence on battle outcomes so it’s all about strategy) and probably the best out of all AliceSoft area expansion SRPGs to date, but it doesn’t have the same level of content variety as AliceSoft’s other SRPGs and after you’ve finished the routes there isn’t much else to bother with in the game - things mostly progress in roughly the same way each time and once you’ve had a few playthroughs, it becomes pretty mechanical since you mostly know what works and what doesn’t.

No I didn’t. You don’t need Retia to recruit him so I’m pretty sure he can be recruited as long as you rescue him.

Agreed. I tend to have pretty bad luck in these types of games, so having to rely on it in the other Dai games really hurt me. Unfortunately, once you get the good defensive ships the games difficulty plummets, other than that though I like how it’s set up.

Again, I have to agree. Although in it’s defense, this one is more comedic for me thanks to the subject matter (studied a lot of WW2 when I was younger). Most of the characters are good too, but I think their problem was that they were so intent on putting in a huge number of characters that the story suffered as a result. It’s still good fun and plenty entertaining though.

That’s not very encouraging for me because I sucked at Sengoku Rance, no matter what I did I could never beat any of the routes because my characters were just too weak when it came to that RPG fighting part of the game. There just never was enough time to level the characters up enough.

I played Koei’s Nobunaga’s Ambition and it had the same problem: really intense in the beginning and really easy at the end. I don’t know if it is a common problem for this kind of games. The game’s difficulty also depends on how fast you play it. As there is not penalty of playing slow (except for Retia’s route), it will become really easy if you wait several turns to stock up your money and admirals. I suspect it is the reason why some people complained the game being too easy. I finished my first round in about 70 turns and it was fun.

Yup. Retia is not required to recruit Rommel. You just need to trigger the event when taking over North Africa after Berlin falls.

Ok, my retia adolf music cd arrived today, I got it cuz I can.