Demonbane official thread (new)

This is the official thread for questions and comments about the JAST USA/Nitroplus release of Deus Machina Demonbane.

[list][]For story discussion (including spoilers), please see this thread.[/]
[]For technical support or order-related issues, please contact us at our help desk (dating sims section).[/][/list]

All comments and questions are welcome, but please keep discussion on the topic of the game itself for the benefit of other users looking for information on Demonbane. Thanks!

I’ll be updating this first post with answers to frequently asked questions as I can compile them.

FAQ

Q: Will an internet download edition of Demonbane be available for purchase?
A: Yes! It’s available now at J-List and will be up at JAST USA and Peach Princess soon.

Q: Video playback issues in Demonbane
A: We’re investigating this and looking for a fix. We’ll have information as we are able to find a good solution. Meanwhile, you can use the solution here to get around the problem.

Q: Text issues in Demonbane
A: We are planning to issue a patch that will correct some issues with improper text display as well as some incongruent aspects of the translation (that was not the work of the TLwiki staff). More on this as we’re able to bring the resources to bear.

Q: Voice issues in Demonbane
A: Due to the extended length of the game and a superlative degree of production emphasis on the graphics and music, the original PC version of Demonbane was partially voiced. Periodic omission of character voices is a feature present in the original Japanese release and carried over to the one that we produced.

Q: My product was damaged in shipping. What can I do?
A: Please contact us at the help desk (dating sims section) with your order number and a photo of the damage. We can’t be liable for minor nicks or scratches, but we want you to be satisfied with the product you receive and major damage to the packaging and/or disc is something we can help find a resolution for.

i am still waiting to get my copy and then waiting for a walkthrough
(since i epic fail without it)

You can always just use the walkthrough for the original game and copypaste the decision points into wwwjdic’s text glossing.

Or just wing it…?

Probably; Demonbane is pretty easy to be honest. I never used a walkthrough and had no trouble clearing it.

I ran into another problem with Demonbane :

In chapter 4 when the movie plays, near the end of it… the game crashes. Same place every time.
The file is : Demonbane USA\dx\mv_lemuria2.ngs
I dunno why I’m the only one getting these problems with a couple of the movies (the other one was … mv_summon3.ngs ; although that one didn’t crash for me; the video simply stopped halfway and audio kept going until it finished)

I was able to solve the crash by re-encoding the video, and naming it the same. I dunno if it’s because I’m using ffdshow and don’t have the codec demonbane wants to use or what. I can solve it no problem, but I wonder if anyone else will run into these issues?

edit : oh and there was a line in chapter 4 that was repeated twice (one was mistakenly spoken through Kurou and the other was correctly spoken through the girl)

EDITEDIT:
Oh and just in case you want my opinion of the game so far…

BUY IT! It is Fun >:D This novel cracks me up, makes me gasp, facepalm and get that warm epic feel all at the same time.
I don’t think there is another fun action novel like this officially in english.
[possibly Koihime from what I saw in the demo, but I like Demonbane a lot more]

So, are we getting a download edition or not? I remember it was said that we would, but lots of things could have changed within this last year we’ve been waiting.

Does not bode well. I had the exact same problem with mv_summon3; I’ll have to keep that in mind. I doubt I’d be able to re-encode the video to fix it since I’m going to be playing on my laptop (ACen FTW!) but I can probably fix the problem by copying another movie and renaming the one with the problem.

We will be getting a download edition. Don’t worry. However, Jast typically makes the download editions available shortly after the hard copies ship; which would mean it might be a week or two (or so) until the DL edition is actually up.

There isn’t, but you can grab ExtractData (not sure where it can be found nowadays, but look around- IIRC it was on tlwiki at one point) and use it on sound.pak to extract the music. The music files and the sound effects are all in there.

when did it actually start shipping? I got my copy just few minutes ago (haven’t even opened it yet), it usually takes about 2 week for me to get my shipments, and that’s when I get them early!

I think it was Thursday. The first person that got the game and posted about it lives in the same city as it ships. It is possible they shipped it on the 12th and he got it on the same day. More likely they shipped it on the 11th.

lucky shipping week!

You can purchase the download edition now. I did receive my code for the download edition, but am running into a lil 'ol problem trying to use it.
‘Sorry, could not find that code. Please verify that you have typed it correctly.’
So, I tried to support JAST in a good way and pre-ordered the box edition. Still waiting for it. Downloads opened and I purchased the download edition also (I like extra copies to feel safe). Code doesn’t work or codes aren’t activated yet for some reason. I’m just going to go sit in a corner and cry so don’t worry about me. :cry:

Edit:
I did log a support ticket about the download code.

stromiv, sounds like you fell victim to the bad luck of releasing the game during a week with a Friday the Thirteenth in it. Did you spend $80 total or did it allow you to do that +$5 because you also ordered the physical copy?

Sweet! My copy just arrived, along with the book I ordered for my upcoming Otakuthon panels.

Unfortunately, the outer Demonbane slipcase was damaged during transit. I wonder, would it be possible for just the box to be replaced? I haven’t opened the shrink-wrap yet in case I’d need to mail it back, but it doesn’t seems that the contents were harmed (the damage isn’t that deep).

Any advice in this department would be appreciated (especially from you, Shingo).

I posted a reply, hope it helps~

is there any forced order you have to play the routes in can you get any ending the first try or do you need to replay to get the true ends
and do you need to play any characters to unlock other routes

I acutally pre-ordered the box edition in January, still waiting for that as I have received no shipping confirmation, and I just ordered the download edition yesterday. I wasn’t allowed to do the +$5 for the download edition probably because of this. As for my luck I just don’t know. Been a shitty week all around so I guess this is just adding to it.

There are actually many different programs for extracting things from non-standard archives (i.e. zip, rar, etc.). If you really enjoy the music, you might want to extract the music even if the game did have a “sound room”. That way, you can listen on a portable device whenever you want. In fact, I did precisely that to Crescendo since I loved how well the music of Scott Joplin was performed for the music in the game. Back to the matter at hand, the home page for the program I use has been blanked (maybe the company went under?), so I’m not sure where you’d find it without resorting to all the search hits on less trustworthy sites.