Demonbane official thread (new)

I had flashbacks of G Gundamā€¦come to think it that would be an interesting crossover 8)

G gundam is great. sometimes itā€™s good to be corny

I totally second that thought about the sequel.

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with wanting a lot of h-scenes, but Demonbane frankly isnā€™t even really about h-scenes; thatā€™s why the sequel ditched them entirely. Kinda like Project A-Ko, ā€œGiant robots fight Cthulhu!ā€ isnā€™t exactly a concept you really need to prop up with h-scenes.

Whatā€™s really awesome about it is the way they didnā€™t just throw a couple of random placenames in, either. They clearly went off in a different direction than true Lovecraftian ā€œthe universe doesnā€™t give two shits about manā€, but just as obvious is the fact that the staff were all huge Lovecraft geeks; itā€™s totally steeped in the Mythos.

Let me know if you guys are sending petition to Nitroplus or JAST regarding the sequel, I would like to take part of it.

The sequel is the one with the actual battles right?

Here are the two videos that originally got me interested in Demonbane (they were from the sequel)ā€¦
MAD OP
Gameplay

Iā€™d definitely sign a petition for this one!

Well, if the twitter is anything to go by, theyā€™re already quite interested in Demonbane 2. I guess Aselier and Demonbane did well enough that theyā€™re interested in a non-h game.

Itā€™s always good to see awesome games do well. Too often they donā€™t. Kara no Shoujo, Soul Link, Psychonauts, Planescape: Torment ā€¦ so many good things that so few have played.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed by the obviously ā€œnon-Lovecraftianā€ nature of the game, despite all the names and plotlines loosely adapted from the mythos. There is zero trademark ominous Lovecraftian feel in Demonbane, and the game isnā€™t nearly dark enough. Donā€™t get me wrong, I liked it, itā€™s just that they might as well have taken the names and plotlines from Shakespeare plays, that would make no real difference.

Saya no Uta is about 100 times more Lovecraftian than Demonbane.

The atmosphere may not be Lovecraftian, but the references are still very well used. To mention a single example, Yog-Sothoth is not just a random big monster, but the representation of gates.

No argument there, the writers know the source material well.

When it comes to atmosphere, I think the one thing they got right from Lovecraft was chaotic part brought on by the otherworldly horrors. I do agree though that itā€™s missing the creepy atmosphere Lovecraft was so good at creating. The closest they ever got was in the Innsmouth arc as the temple had the right setting for said atmosphere, but I kind of wish we could have had a creepy run through the town itself like in the original short story. Maybe I was a bit spoiled by Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Well, recreating that creepy, oppressively-bleak atmosphere was just not something they wanted to do. They were clearly capable of evoking it when they decided to - they just went in a different direction.

Itā€™s not a bad choice. Demonbane is quite entertaining. But it is not exactly the same kind of world as Lovecraft dreamed up.

I got my copy in the mail yesterday (babyā€™'s first Nitroplus game you might say), and Iā€™m eager to get into it, but that may take a while. Iā€™ve got a bunch of other games to get through, and by that time I will probably have forgotten all the spoilers Iā€™ve read on this thread. Iā€™m curious to see how this pastiche of Lovecraft + moe + robotech will work out.
You know, Iā€™ve been a Lovecraft fan practically for forever, beginning back in the late Fitites/eary Sixties when Lovecraft when paperback reprints of his works becoming available and could be found in most any drug store book rack. Since then Iā€™ve read and re-read most of them countless times ( winter time seems the most appropriate season for Lovecraft). And I believe Iā€™ve seen most every movie-foreign or domestic-that was even vaguely based on a Lovecraft story as well. You want to know the one that scared me the most? It was Pickmanā€™s Model, which I read in jr high years and years ago and still haunts my nightmares. Especially since I spend a lot of time in the basement. At night. Watching scary movies.

better to risk it than playing partial-voice gameā€¦

koihime is still better since they announce it to be no-voice, and it got no voiceā€¦

but this? I have ask the people in this forum before pre-ordering it since there are no indication demonbane is with/out voiceā€¦

Reality? partial-voiceā€¦

i have hold it for a year not to say this, but need to say it in the end, those who havenā€™t start/just start demonbane better get the PS2 voice-patch first before starting, youā€™ll miss the full experience of demonbane if notā€¦

for the loyal fan, letā€™s wait till JASTUSA release the whole voice, if they do of courseā€¦

P.S. just trying to make a point here, not trying to start a war, so no hard feelings.

Koihime Musou is a bit different, since the absence of voices is unique to the localised release.

Demonbane, on the other hand, was just as partially voiced in the original release as the localised release. JAST didnā€™t change anything.

Of course, that doesnā€™t really help your average consumer who wonā€™t have played the original + likely wouldnā€™t know about the partial voicing, but still.

Koihime Musou is voiced now, Mangagamer got 2000 sales (from customers and JAST) and thus released a voiced version.

Even tough it starts partially patch in Japanese, last i heard JASTUSA trying to fill in the blank, is it true?

Lipp, thx for reminding, i knew i forgot something in my previous postā€¦

So I just beat Ruriā€™s route (yeah, yeah, I know, gameā€™s been out for a year ā€¦ What can I say, my pileā€™s huge.) And it once again reminds me how badly I want more Nitroplus games. Arrrgh!

I also noticed something odd. In the credits, I saw 0verflowā€™s name scroll by towards the end. Why was that?

They didnā€™t translate it?

Anyway, from the original:

?? means ā€˜cooperationā€™. Your guess is as good as mine.

As far as I could tell the credits were all in Japanese. I wasnā€™t paying too close attention though (I mean, I beat the game with Alā€™s route like a year ago, and never noticed it then.)

I guess ā€˜cooperationā€™ is something like a ā€˜Special thanks toā€™ section. It could mean anything.

Was it the normal end, the true end, or both? The former was very bitter sweet and made me sympathetic to Ruri. The latter was a bit weird but still good IMO.

I share your sentiment and canā€™t get enough of them. Most of Nitroplus games were pretty popular. Demonbane, Jingai Makyou, Saya no Uta, Steinā€™s Gate just to name a few. I guess it doesnā€™t come as a surprise since theyā€™re one of the biggest VN game developers in Japan today. Theyā€™re even co-producers of the reknown Fate/Zero anime which is currently being aired.