Did you ever thought how well

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:
You may call me a quadripilosectonomist...

Dictionary.com says that's not a word. I'm predisposed to agree. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Dark_Shiki (edited 12-05-2004).]

Quadripilosectonomo is a person that likes to cut hairs into four pieces from the lenght. A perfectionist. I only anglicized it.

Wow, i created a new word in english, lol!!!

Quadripilosectonomo isn’t listed either.

quote:
Originally posted by Italicus:
I only anglicized it.

[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] Wow, i created a new word in english, lol!!!!

If i anglicized it, that means it's an italian word. And read my second phrase better.

Right…congragulations for excluding everyone but yourself from your intended meaning.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
Dictionary.com says that's not a word. I'm apt to agree. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]
I think the expression you're searching for here is inclined to agree. What's with all this Italicus-bashing recently? It doesn't make you look any better, and it's growing rather tiresome. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

quote:
I think the expression you're searching for here is inclined to agree.

As you say. My mistake. Annoyingly, I think it's a mistake someone has pointed out before. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/redface.gif[/img]

Edit: Microsoft Word lists "apt" as a viable synonym for "inclined." How exactly am I using it wrong?

quote:
What's with all this Italicus-bashing recently? It doesn't make you look any better, and it's growing rather tiresome.

I may have been a tad harsh as of late, but I'd hardly call it bashing. If that's how it looks, I apologize. Italicus's manner does...grate on me sometimes. I think I'm not the only one, as Lamuness has threatened to ban Italicus multiple times. As I see it, perhaps it would be best to inform Italicus when he's being irritating/offensive; that way he can actually do something about it (as Benoit has requested for himself). Otherwise everything just builds to a head, and that doesn't solve anything.

But maybe that's just arrogance on my part. If so...I'll stop. Is that the consensus?

Ok. Let’s call it a draw.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Shiki:
Edit: Microsoft Word lists "apt" as a viable synonym for "inclined." How exactly am I using it wrong?
If you read the usage note for liable in dictionary.reference.com, it explores the subtle differences between liable, apt and likely. The relevant passage is
quote:
Thus, while John is apt to lose the election may suggest that the loss will result from something John does or fails to do, John is likely to lose the election does not. Nor does it suggest anything about the desirability of the outcome from the point of view of either the speaker or the subject. See Usage Note at likely.
The reason I used inclined instead of likely is that it may appear without an adverbial modifier, as discussed in the usage note for likely. But that's enough pedantry for one day. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img] At least it demonstrates that English possesses at least a tenth of the complexity of Japanese. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/redface.gif[/img]

quote:
I may have been a tad harsh as of late, but I'd hardly call it bashing. If that's how it looks, I apologize. Italicus's manner does...grate on me sometimes. I think I'm not the only one, as Lamuness has threatened to ban Italicus multiple times. As I see it, perhaps it would be best to inform Italicus when he's being irritating/offensive; that way he can actually do something about it (as Benoit has requested for himself). Otherwise everything just builds to a head, and that doesn't solve anything.
Italicus did cross the line, as far as Lamuness and Peter were concerned. But it's their call, and I think we should leave it with them.

I have observed what I would call "baiting" from various posters. We all know what buttons to push to get a rise out of Italicus. It's not very courteous or friendly, and I think we should try to promote a friendly atmosphere here.

If there's one constructive criticism I'd offer, it's that Italicus frequently inserts Italian language and proverbs without translation or explanation. I don't mind learning about other cultures - that's one of the things that attracts me to b-games and anime - but my high school Latin is a bit rusty and it's tiresome having to copy everthing into an online translator. So how about it Italicus? Don't assume your readers capisca che tutto diciate.

My fault on that point.
I admit many times i forgot to explain proverbs and words. But, hey, there is no intention to hurt or insult in my italian way of say. Me and my bro send the other to hell everyday, but nor me or either him intend to do it as an insult.

And yes, i admit i’m sensible and terrible overreacting when provoked, but sorry can’t help on it. My Hashimoto disease is terrible on that side… Partial inability to control emotions is not something pleasant to deal with. Now, time for my pills…

Back on the translations’ question. A lot of people in Italy loves japanese culture, so we are a lot sensible on this point. Maybe that’s because we have - like them - a great cultural heritage; and that’s why we are moved to try to be more close to the original.

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 12-05-2004).]

OMG. lol, I’m dumb. I thought you guys were debating over the price of the game Crescendo, that it cost ¬Å¬è8,800 and was adjusted to $50 for the US market. But that’s not it at all. Italicus is saying that he’s heard that it costs can ¬Å¬è80,000 to “rent” a girl like that in real life, and at a minimum no less than ¬Å¬è10,000. The complaint is that the translation of Crescendo by GC says that Yuka is selling her body for $50, and so that it’s probably an error in translation. I believe that’s what you’re saying. But in this case, you’re wrong Italicus. In the voiced diolauge you can hear, more than once, the characters say the price. ¬å√ú¬ê√߬â~¬ÅB That’s ¬Å¬è5,000 which is about $50. Although I would prefer them to keep the translation as a price in yen, the currency translation is accurate to the contents of the game. It just means that Yuka really is that cheap.

Ah ah ah!!!

LOL OH!!! Then this mean girls from Kyoto are more expensive, LOL!!!

So apt should only be used in that sense when the outcome is negative, huh? Guess I’ve learned something new. I didn’t realize the usage is so complex, though I would have instinctively avoided the use of “likely” in that case.

quote:
I have observed what I would call “baiting” from various posters. We all know what buttons to push to get a rise out of Italicus. It’s not very courteous or friendly, and I think we should try to promote a friendly atmosphere here.

I assume you’re including me among these “baiters.” If so, please point to these instances where I was doing such. As far as I know, I’ve only been harsh with Italicus after he’s done something I consider inappropriate. In this topic, for example, I responded harshly when Italicus:

1) said it was “a pity CD Bros decided to give [GC a] license,” i.e. he was trolling.

2) He called me a troll for no apparent reason (he later retracted this, because he realized I had misinterpreted what he was talking about).

3) He bashed GC for a mistranslation which he wasn’t even sure existed (he later clarified that the yen to dollar conversion was what was bothering him, not the mistranslation).

4) He created a word out of nowhere (he didn’t even mention it was a made-up word adapted from Italian) and expected us to understand it.

I’m not trying to point fingers here and make Italicus feel bad all over again; I’m just making a point. 2 of those 4 points were just misunderstandings anyway. I just want to show that I don’t feel I was baiting Italicus here or anywhere else, because as you say, that’s not nice.

quote:
Italicus did cross the line, as far as Lamuness and Peter were concerned. But it’s their call, and I think we should leave it with them.

Ah, but isn’t it best to prevent a situation that they have to crack down on in the first place? What I term “trolling behavior” especially is something I’m sure he’d rather hear criticized by us than by Lamuness.

@Italicus: I don’t have a problem with your opinions themselves. But I wish you’d give more thought to how you express them, and how you’ll be perceived as a result. I also wish you would be a little more precise in your language, and in expressing yourself in general. That includes unexplained usage of Italian, as well as general vagueness in the way you write, which has led me to misunderstand you on more than one occasion.

Heh, to be fair, we might as well point out my faults as well. Come on, give me your best shot.

Oh well, it turned out to be much ado about nothing in the end, LOL!!!

Peace, bro!

[This message has been edited by Italicus (edited 12-05-2004).]

To complete circle back around the topic… somewhat… Anyone know of a group that has the ignition license…? From my horibly babelfish translated look through the links to the various games made by the different companies the ones from Ignition look somehwat interesting… Not that I could really understand the plot of some of them, but…

I’m not familiar with the Ignition label, but to the best of my knowledge the field has turned into only G-Collections and Peach Princess. Jast USA is still around, technically, but they’re not actively translating anything and they can’t because their parent company disintegrated.

If GC doesn’t have access to it, and Pea Pri doesn’t have access to it, it probably isn’t going to come over.

G-Collections has Ignition, as it’s a CD Bros. label. They did Shoujo Settai. (Slave Pageant)