Doushin was NOT properly tested

Pick up Animal Crossing and Mario Kart DS, Lamuness. My ass is begging to be kicked — I only use Princess Peach and she’s arguably one of the worst characters to use, heh :o
I was on the fence about DS Lite, but after seeing the machine in action, I have to get it, gonna sell off my old DS if anyone is interested in it, going to be very very affordable for someone who wants it.

Right now looking to pick up a quality machine that will run WindowsXP so that I can play Doushin. I’m a hardcore MacOS user 4 life and the last Compaq laptop I used died — I only used it to surf the internet and play Bishoujo games anyways — I think it had some heat issue, but it ran only Windows98 at the time, so what’s a good machine that’s not going to ruin my investment? I still have a iMac Blue 333Mhz and it’s served me for close to 6 years now, not a lick of problem with it.

[ 05-31-2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: bokmeow ]

well, personally i am not complaining since to be honest, it IS not the best solution since there are inconveniences to switching people’s locales…so i personally understand what some people’s concerns are but unforutnately we do not have a better solution since crowd’s programmer literally refused to fix the problem

currently i am coming up with workarounds that lessens the hassle to a minimum, hopefully i can get something out to you guys…

bokmeow, the biggest problem now is that my home is not wifi equipped; i only have a wired network

I will dig into that for you as well Lamuness, There is a way to invoke the Asian through a registry entry… then all it sould do is ask for the CD saying it needs some files when you reboot and ask you to reboot again… I will look into it for sure but it souldn’t be too hard.

If you just want to play bishoujo games, an old PC with Windows 98 will do. That way you can still use that old Windows 98 CD.

You can buy an add-on so your DS can use the wired network.

[ 05-31-2006, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Benoit ]

I thought Doushin’s requirement was 2000 and XP? At least that’s what I gathered, displayed prominently on the front of the box.

Oh, right. Though from what I’m gathering there seems to be a work-around for Win9x, but someone has yet to test it.

I actually have. A straight Win98 install works just fine, other than the text-overlap bug. It’s not really severe enough to be a show-stopper. Installing NJStar in Win98 seems to correct the bug, but I haven’t done extensive testing yet.

I have a question…How come the end of the game doesnt tell you what ending you got, how do we know which ending we got?

i dunno if it’s covered in the manual, but look carefully in your save/load screen; it does more than you may think

Applocale may be your friend. I haven’t got this game to test, but applocale lets you run a program using a different code-page without having to alter the non-unicode settings. It works great with most Japanese games. It can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

[ 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: dco_chris ]

yes applocale would work (that was one of the solutions i had in mind), however keep these in mind:

• you need to first install asian fonts first or else you will not be able to select japanese in the pulldown

• i dont think there is applocale for win2k so not sure if it works there

but yes, you will not have to waste time rebooting and changing any locales with it

[ 06-07-2006, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Lamuness - BBS Admin ]

yup. i’m playing the game on a notebook running Windows XP Home Edition (SP 4). i didn’t install any other language sets; i just used whatever came by default. i really like Doushin and look forward to XChange 3

:slight_smile:

notebook that have xp included i think install all language packs by default

most likely the case because typically we only get a ‘recovery disk’ for Windows XP and with notebooks people can travel around the world and use them (assuming, of course, you use the correct AC adapter). anyway, my copy of Doushin came in the mail earlier this week and installation and gameplay is fine.

Yes, I do apologize for the problems (requiring the Japanese fonts). They should not slow your system down though, they’re just files being moved from one part of your hard drive to the other.

We’ll have a page up very soon with an alternate way to get Doushin to run as intended that doesn’t require changing the region to Japanese which is good for some users, but not really necessary either. The good news, by the way, is that these fonts are needed for both XC3 and Yin Yang due to events beyond our control (this was the only way we could bring these games out). Happily, once you load the fonts you never have to do anything new for the other two games. So it’s not a hassle you’ll have to go through again.

I already had mine changed a long time before this for another fan-translated game i wanted to play and when i reinstalled windows it was just automatic to change the regional settings.

WinXP does not have a Service Pack 4. Windows 2000 does.

XP doesn’t even have SP 3…

To my knowledge, the problem derives from the East Asian fonts themselves.
As someone explained me long ago, the computers are stupid, and EVERY TIME a program needs a specific font (it happens all the time), a computer searches through ALL the fonts of the Font Folder before choosing the correct one.
This does mean that keeping too many fonts (100+, I believe -me, I’ve 67 fonts just now-) within your Font Folder is a bad idea, especially if your computer is slow. Unfortunately, the sheer size of the fonts themselves can also cause some slowing (the computer searches THOROUGHLY every font -it’s stupid, do you remember?-). The Latin alphabet fonts are very small (Arial “weighs” 358 KB’s and Times New Roman 399 KB’s, for example) and give no problem in this sense. But ALL the Windows-installed seven East Asian fonts are HUGE (Ms Gothic and MS Mincho, for example -the two Japanese fonts-, “weigh” respectively 7.88 MB’s and 8.71 MB’s)…

true. i confused my notebook for work (W2K) with my personal notebook (XP Home).