English translation question

quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn:
Nicely put. You have a way with words!
Errrrrr... Thanks. #^_^#
...though I'm in fact very frustated I can't express my thoughts perfectly because I write in English and my English sucks... (you wouldn't be proficient in French, would you? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img])

Anyway, on-topic:

.ti ot kcits dna rewsna na dnif si od nac eno tseB .wonk nac dlrow siht morf nosrep a gnihtemos ton si ,stsixe ti fi ,si gninaem taht tahw ro gninaem a evah yeht taht :si gniht ;eno evah yeht spahrep ro ,gninaem a sah enon spahreP .gniht emas eht fo stcepsa owt tsuj era htob sa ,efil naht erom on rehtar ro ,lufniap ton si htaed oS .eid ot eno dna evil ot emit a ,nus eht rednu gnihtyreve rof emit a si erehT .hsifles erew uoy yas d'I ,dehsilpmocca saw tahw fo daetsni esol uoy tahw fo thguoht ylno uoy sa dna ,dniheb tfel esoht rof lufniap ylno si htaed taht dias si tI .hsifles erew uoy ,nehT.

.efil reh ot esoprup a evag ehs ,htaed reh ot gninaem a gnivig yB .ssenippah fo luos dna dnim ,traeh reh dellif ti dna rewsna reh dnuof irigaS

?yltneserp ,ereh ,dah ydaerla ehs *yltcaxe* tahw taht t'nsi ,tuB ?ecaep ni eid ot neht ssenippah ni evil ot ,devol eb oT ?reh evig eh dluoc tahw ,lla retfA .ssenippah reh tuoba ton dna ,esol dluow eh tahw dna mih ot saw ehs tahw tuoba gnikniht saw eh gninaem ,rennam hsifles a ni irigaS gnivol saw eh esuaceb otihiroY evas ...enoyreve stifeneb yalp taht ,dne eht nI .)denrecnoc si wolf eht sa raf sa( sregalliv eht fo straeh dna sdnim eht mlac osla ti tub ,ecaep ni eid dna evil ot irigaS wolla ecifircas eht gnieb reh seod ylno ton ,oS .ynomerec eht tuoba dalg erew dna saw ehs dalg erew yeht ,diputs gnieb sa reh fo thguoht sregalliv tsom fi neve dnA

P.S. "_strrev()" is such a wonderful function!!!! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

quote:
P.S.: I think it's easier to type the entire message backwards, than just reverting the words.
I don't care much. Writing a function doing the one or the other takes about 10sec... Okay, 20 because I have to compile. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 09-01-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by olf_le_fol:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unicorn:
[b] (you wouldn't be proficient in French, would you? [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img])

Nope. I tried it once or twice, but apparently not seriously enough.
Because one of my classmates at highscool had a french mother, I may understand a few sentences, but you would hardly call that proficient.

quote:
.hsifles erew uoy ,nehT. [QUOTE]

I came to the same conclusion after your previous post. Perhaps, this selfishness resulted from my tendency to take the point of view of my character in the game...

.mih ekil tsuj sgnileef s'irigaS dnatsrednu ot elbapac t'nsaw dna ssol sih ylno tlef yllautca I ,yawynA

So, I am grateful that you enlightened me, and that is not a bit meant to be sarcastic. For the same reason, I gave my previous reply to your post the "thumbs-up"-icon: I got your point and after a short thought I have to agree.
However, that doesn't change the second chapter being my favorite chapter of GinIro, even if the third isn't bad either. Only the fourth is a bit confusing, if I recall correctly. But that might also be the fault of the english script. Hmmm, I am starting to feel the urge to replay that game in japanese...

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 09-01-2003).]

quote:
Nope. I tried it once or twice, but apparently not seriously enough.
Because one of my classmates at highscool had a french mother, I may understand a few sentences, but you would hardly call that proficient.

Too bad: I'd be able to express myself better in French. OTOH, English isn't your prime language as well IIRC, so we're even!
quote:
Perhaps, because I have a tendency to take the point of view of my character in the game...
I always try to as well, but most often failed to, as the protagonist's POVs are waaaaaay too different from mine. And I'm not talking about age (i.e. AFAIR his POVs differ from mine a lot even when taking my POVs when I was his age). And, too often, I just don't agree with them.
Only exception I can think about is Takamachi Kyouya, TH3's protagonist. ^^;;;;;;
quote:
So, I am grateful that you enlightened me, and that is not a bit meant to be sarcastic. For the same reason, I gave my previous reply to your post the "thumbs-up"-icon: I got your point and after a short thought I can agree.
However, that doesn't change that the second chapter is my favorite chapter of GinIro, even if the third isn't bad either. Only the fourth is a bit confusing, if I recall correctly.

Currently... I don't know. I enjoyed and liked both chapter #1 and #2, though for different reasons. I think #1's story was better but I liked/admired Sagiri's behaviour in #2. As for #3... we'll see, but so far I doubt I'll "pity" Asana, no matter what will happen to her, because she called it upon herself by "daerht revlis eht gnisu ylgnilliw".
quote:
But that can also be a fault of the english script. Hmmm, I am starting to feel eagerness for replaying that game in japanese...
Good idea! That way, we could talk "in real time" about our mutual experience! [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 09-01-2003).]

I completed the 3rd chapter this weekend…
Tsurai, tsurai, tsurai deshita (it was painful)… ^^;;;;

In all honesty, I think it’s as… beautiful as the previous chapters, though its beauty is less obvious, which makes it all the more excellent.
I told about the morbid fascination those stories were exercising: “you know how it will end and that you won’t like it, and yet you keep reading, with the insane wish it would end the other way…”

.wol ytterp saw gnidne “yppah” a rof epoh taht suht “depleh eb t’nac ti” wenk uoy taht hcus saw erehpsomta eht ,sretpahc tsrif eht nI
.gnileef “depleh eb t’nac” taht evag hcihw noituloser gnorts s’irigaS saw ti ,dnoces eht nI
.trohs tub ,tpurba saw gnidne eht ;yrots elohw eht gnirud tnatsnoc ytterp saw erehpsomta siht dnA
.niw ot gnihtemos dah irigaS ,tcaf ni ;esol ot gnihtyna evah t’ndid sretcarahc eht ,seirots suoiverp htob ni ,oslA

.yad retfa yad ,elttil yb elttil meht esol meht ees ot lufniap erom yaw a ni saw ti ,oS .ssenippah dna evol laitini rieht :esol ot gnihtemos evah slrig eht ,tsriF …era sgniht woh ton s’ti ,yrots siht nI
.llew sa ylwols smid ylno )gnidne “yppah” a rof( epoh fo thgil eht ,sedarged ylwols ylno pihsnoitaler rieht esuaceb ,oslA
.ylsuoiverp naht etats remmid a ot ti gniwolb erofeb ,niaga ti eralf dluow tneve na ,yawa edaf ot netaerht dluow thgil siht gnihtyna taht hcus saw yrots eht ,tsal tA

.pleh rof sllac reh gniraeh eno on dah anuuY elihw ,reh rof gnileef tsinogatorp eht dah irigaS esuaceb ,anuuY gnisoohc dne ll’I ,tcaf ni ,dnA .sgnireffus s’anuuY rof tcepser fo tuo ,driht eht ro ,noisiced s’irigaS rof tcepser fo tuo ,dnoces eht rehtie esoohc rehtar ylbaborp d’I ,tseb a rof etov ot decrof fi ,tuB .eno tsrif eht ylbaborp si yrots etiruovaf ym yas d’I ,noinipo na rof deksa fI

Globally, I see a theme to those stories though… The answer .I ma ohw :noitseuq lanrete eht ot

[].ecnetsixe reh fo foorp a rof gnihsiw saw emayA ,yrots tsrif eht nI
    [
    ].htaed reh saw foorp taht ecnis ,ti rof deid dna eno dnuof irigaS ,dnoces eht nI
    [*].ecnetsixe reh fo foorp eht saw TI esuaceb ,iet-iasaS eht evael t’ndluoc nahc-anasA ,driht eht nI[/LIST]

I’ll see if this guessing is right in the next stories…

quote:
I completed the 3rd chapter this weekend...
Tsurai, tsurai, tsurai deshita (it was painful)... ^^;;;;

I see. Perhaps, you felt at least a little pity for Asana and a bit more for her sister in the end, right?

.snoitnetni laer reh tsniaga dna rovaf s'anasA ni hsiw hcae fo noitaterpretnisim a dnuof syawla daerht eht tuB .ssenyppah s'retsis reh rof tub ,flesreh rof daerht eht esu ot tnaw t'ndid anasA ,lla retfA

quote:
Globally, I see a theme to those stories though... The answer .I ma ohw :noitseuq lanrete eht ot
  • .ecnetsixe reh fo foorp a rof gnihsiw saw emayA ,yrots tsrif eht nI
  • .htaed reh saw foorp taht ecnis ,ti rof deid dna eno dnuof irigaS ,dnoces eht nI
  • .ecnetsixe reh fo foorp eht saw TI esuaceb ,iet-iasaS eht evael t'ndluoc nahc-anasA ,driht eht nI[/LIST]

I'll see if this guessing is right in the next stories... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]

Nice try. Let's see, if the next chapter fits into your theory then. As with all previous chapters, I don't want to spoil too much with my statements here, so I am now quiet and wait for your comments to the next chapter.

quote:
I see. Perhaps, you felt at least a little pity for Asana and a bit more for her sister in the end, right?
.elpoep hcus ytip nac yldrah I .nwo reh fo gniyler fo daetsni rewop lanretxe emos no gnihsiw yb flesreh no stneve esoht lla thguorb ehs esuaceb ,hcum toN

...em gniyarteb tuoba gniklat ton m'I dnA .lufsseccus saw dna ekas ym rof enod saw ti fi neve .e.i ,saw nosaer eht revetahw ,layarteb evigrof TON nac I ,oslA

.anuuY ton tub sVOP nahc-anasA dna orihS dah ew gninaem ,noitautis eht morf gnireffus saw ehs hcum woh dnatsrednu yltcerid ot redaer eht wolla ot ton sa hcus sa detneserp saw yrots eht esuaceb erom neve ...anuuY rof tlef I ,ylurt ,oS

quote:
.ssenyppah s'retsis reh rof tub ,flesreh rof daerht eht esu ot tnaw t'ndid anasA ,lla retfA
That's not an excuse in my book... .deyarteb ohw eh rof tiaw htaed dna sgnireffus ylno sa ,eciohc thgir eht edam uoy wonk ot eb dluohs drawer ylno ruoy tub ,doog nwo sih rof evres ot raews uoy eno eht yarteb ot evah yam uoY

But, bah, I'm in all case very satisfied about those tales, as they all deal with love stories which end the way all love stories should end: tragically.

"What is love if not painful and tragic? It's just boring." ^_-

quote:
.elpoep hcus ytip nac yldrah I .nwo reh fo gniyler fo daetsni rewop lanretxe emos no gnihsiw yb flesreh no stneve esoht lla thguorb ehs esuaceb ,hcum toN

.rovaf s'retsis reh ni ylno erew sevitom reh taht wonk uoy ,VOP reh tog uoy ecnis dnA .srewop larutanrepus esu uoy fi hctac a eb ot sah ereht taht ,gniwonk rof modsiw eht ega reh ta tcepxe t'nac uoY .sekatsim reh rof pu ekam ot ecnahc yna tub ,retsis reh htiw pihsnoitaler didnelps eht tsol tsuj ton ehs ,dne eht ni taht ,ylbirret os derifkcab taht snoitnetni doog reh lla rof anasA deitip I tuB .smelborp ruoy evlos ot tneiciffus eb thgim nwo ruoy nehw ,srewop larutanrepus no yler ton ot ,is yrots siht fo slarom eht fo eno taht ,eerga I

quote:
That's not an excuse in my book... .deyarteb ohw eh rof tiaw htaed dna sgnireffus ylno sa ,eciohc thgir eht edam uoy wonk ot eb dluohs drawer ylno ruoy tub ,doog nwo sih rof evres ot raews uoy eno eht yarteb ot evah yam uoY

Hmmmm. First of all, I know this is all highly hypothetical, but please allow me this question:
If following an oath would harm the interests of the one whom I serve and breaking that oath and thus betraying him would serve his purposes best, wouldn't be following the oath being a betrayal against the purposes of the person I am serving?
In that case, I am between Skylla and Charybdis and have to choose which betrayal is more acceptable... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

quote:
"What is love if not painful and tragic? It's just boring." ^_-

- Elaine Barlow - (Yuna Returns review)
[img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
quote:
.rovaf s'retsis reh ni ylno erew sevitom reh taht wonk uoy ,VOP reh tog uoy ecnis dnA .srewop larutanrepus esu uoy fi hctac a eb ot sah ereht taht ,gniwonk rof modsiw eht ega reh ta tcepxe t'nac uoY .sekatsim reh rof pu ekam ot ecnahc yna tub ,retsis reh htiw pihsnoitaler didnelps eht tsol tsuj ton ehs ,dne eht ni taht ,ylbirret os derifkcab taht snoitnetni doog reh lla rof anasA deitip I tuB .smelborp ruoy evlos ot tneiciffus eb thgim nwo ruoy nehw ,srewop larutanrepus no yler ton ot ,is yrots siht fo slarom eht fo eno taht ,eerga I
.)".od ylbaborp llits I dna nahc-anasA devol I"( dnim reh yletelpmoc gnisol erofeb sdrow reh dna )trap reh morf thgif lanretni na detoned hcihw( tneve yrev siht gnirud sdrow s'nahc-anasA ot netsil ot gnisufer saw ehs woh ,)emit siht lla nahc-anasA devol llits ehs gninaem( iet-iasaS eht esol d'yeht thguoht yeht nehw fles remrof reh ot kcab tnew ehs yltsaf woh [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/redface.gif[/img]s kniht ot em tnih stneve elttil emos tub ,VOP s'anuuY evah ot teg t'ndid ew ecnis ,snoitaluceps erup era esoht eerga I .daed saw regna reh nehw nahc-anasA sa detceffa sa ylbaborp saw tub ,regna fo tuo os did ehs eveileb I dna [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]erofeb did ehs ekil reh gnirussaer fo daetsni toidi gnihtemos nseod ehs fi "toidi" reh gnillac .e.i( deifitsujnu reve saw ti leef t'nod I tub )anasA tsniaga sdnah reh esiar neve reven ehs eton tub( sdrow hsrah reh dlot retsis reh ,esruoc fO .reh htiw dnob siht tsol retsis reh os tub ;retsis reh htiw dnob eht tsol ehs ,esruoc fO .)seceip ni nekorb gnieb ni eveileb dluow ehs gnihtyreve was ohw anuuY ot yrartnoc( gnihtyreve detaerc ehs gnineppah saw tahw tuoba tsom eht wenk ohw _eno_ eht saw ehs ecnis gnineppah saw tahw rednow ot evah t'ndid ehs dnA .efil reh ,yletamitlu ,saw ron ,)selbuort eht lla hguorht ti eganam ot dah ohw anuuY saw ti ecnis tnaruatser eht tuoba yrrow ot *ylurt* evah t'ndid ehs ,osla ;reh no ytip s'elpoep gnirb ylno dluow reh ot deneppah tahw dna flesreh dezilucidir t'ndid ehs( dnim reh saw ron ,)reh rof evol sih ni neht orihS rof evol reh ni tsrif ecalos dnuof ehs( nekorb t'nsaw traeh reh tub ,sdrow hsrah s'retsis reh fo esuaceb dehca traeh reh dna )snoitca _nwo_ reh rof( esromer htiw degilffa saw ehs ,eurT .deneppah tahw lla etipsed ,ecalkcen eht gnisu TON tuoba nossel eht tnrael reven dna traeh s'retsis reh htiw deyot ehS .)...yawyna reh gniytip saw I taht ton( nahc-anasA ytip ot nosaer dnif I ssel eht ,ti tuoba kniht I erom eht tub ,yrroS ?ssenippah s'esle enoemos rof tca eno fi ytilibasnopser erahs t'nseod eno taht naem ti seod :em rof rewsna ruoy ot derewsna anuuY

...s'orihS now ehs ,evol s'retsis reh tsol nahc-anasA fi ,tsal tA

quote:
Hmmmm. First of all, I know this is all highly hypothetical, but please allow me this question:
If following an oath would harm the interests of the one whom I serve and breaking that oath and thus betraying him would serve his purposes best, wouldn't be following the oath being a betrayal against the purposes of the person I am serving?

In the case you're presenting, the answer (as far as I'm concernced) is obvious: if by breaking your oath you can serve the one whom you made this oath to better (for instance, to disobey his orders to save his life), then you should do so, then once that act is done, prepare yourself for punishment of your betrayal. And even if he loves you and understand why you betrayed him, the one whom you serve should punish you with death, as only death rewards betrayers and honor doesn't favor anyone.
quote:
...s'orihS now ehs ,evol s'retsis reh tsol nahc-anasA fi ,tsal tA

.orihS htiw yppah retsis reh gniees dna anuuY htiw pihsnoitaler reh gnipeek htiw deifsitas neeb evah dluow nahc-anasA .ecalp tsrif eht ni rof ksa t'ndid ehs taht...

quote:
...yawyna reh gniytip saw I taht ton( nahc-anasA ytip ot nosaer dnif I ssel eht ,ti tuoba kniht I erom eht tub ,yrroS ?ssenippah s'esle enoemos rof tca eno fi ytilibasnopser erahs t'nseod eno taht naem ti seod :em rof rewsna ruoy ot derewsna anuuY

.yrots eht fo ycnetsisnoc eht dekcerw evah dluow ,ot dekil evah dluow I ,yaw eht gnitca oS .nahc-anasA ni tsurt s'anuuY ekorb eil taht esuaceb yrots eht ni tniop gninrut tnatropmi na saw taht ,esruoc fo tuB .noitautis eht gnildnah go yaw ym tsniaga erew noitautis taht ni dereffo anasA snoitpo lla os ,retal ro renoos hturt eht nrael dluow anuuY ,wenk I .eil a llet ot dnuob saw I os ,rewsna tsenoh eht ton tub ,rsewsna elbissop sa seil ylno erew ereht nehw ,anuuY htiw sgolaid eht fo eno ni noitpo na gnissim osla saw I .emit driht eht rof ecalkcen eht esu ot deirt ehs nehw pots ot reh ta lley ot detnaw I tcaf nI .hcum os reffus anuuY tel dna efil remrof reh niur reh edam taht ssenhsiloof reh dna ssol reh rof )noissapmoc ro( ytip leef llits I tub ,deneppah taht sgniht eht rof ytilibisnopser s'anasA yned t'ndluow I

quote:
In the case you're presenting, the answer (as far as I'm concernced) is obvious: if by breaking your oath you can serve the one whom you made this oath to better (for instance, to disobey his orders to save his life), then you should do so, then once that act is done, prepare yourself for punishment of your betrayal. And even if he loves you and understand why you betrayed him, the one whom you serve should punish you with death, as only death rewards betrayers and honor doesn't favor anyone.

If honor is that important, your advice to me how to act is inconsistent:
If honor comes first and foremost, I shouldn't break my oath, but instead ruin the purposes of my master. Then, I should face death as a punishment for my deeds against his goals. Acting this way should be more correct in the way I understood your reasoning, because I than can die without having the stain of the broken oath on my honor. I just died because of the foolishness of my master to demand that oath from me that made me act this way.

quote:
.orihS htiw yppah retsis reh gniees dna anuuY htiw pihsnoitaler reh gnipeek htiw deifsitas neeb evah dluow nahc-anasA .ecalp tsrif eht ni rof ksa t'ndid ehs taht...
.eno now ehs ,eno tsol ehs :si tcaF ."dab denrut ti tub doog dednetni" yeht esuaceb enoemos ot evigrof t'nac I ;ti htiw od ot gnihton sah noitnetni reH
quote:
.eil a llet ot dnuob saw I os ,rewsna tsenoh eht ton tub ,rsewsna elbissop sa seil ylno erew ereht nehw ,anuuY htiw sgolaid eht fo eno ni noitpo na gnissim osla saw I .emit driht eht rof ecalkcen eht esu ot deirt ehs nehw pots ot reh ta lley ot detnaw I tcaf nI .hcum os reffus anuuY tel dna efil remrof reh niur reh edam taht ssenhsiloof reh dna ssol reh rof )noissapmoc ro( ytip leef llits I tub ,deneppah taht sgniht eht rof ytilibisnopser s'anasA yned t'ndluow I
.shturt doog eht ro seil doog eht llet ot tneconni oot ,yaw a ni ,dna gnuoy oot saw anasA elihw ,wonk uoy tahw wonk t'ndid orihS dna anuuY ,sala tuB !enod eb dluohs dluow dna gnorw saw tahw meht fo lla ot lley ot tnaw uoy hcum os gninihs saw gnidne retteb eht ot yaw eht ,eno siht nI .tsetorp ot yaw on htiw yrots eht wollof uoy sekam txetnoc/erehpsomta "depleh eb t'nac ti" eht ,sretpahc suoiverp eht nI .yrots siht fo htgnerts eht fo eno osla si tahT
quote:
If honor is that important, your advice to me how to act is inconsistent: If honor comes first and foremost, I shouldn't break my oath, but instead ruin the purposes of my master. Then, I should face death as a punishment for my deeds against his goals. Acting this way should be more correct in the way I understood your reasoning, because I than can die without having the stain of the broken oath on my honor. I just died because of the foolishness of my master to demand that oath from me that made me act this way.
*sighs*
Apparently, you and I weren't raised with the same conception of honor. There are level of honors: your Lord's, your family's, your own. Your Lord's honor and safety is above your family's honor and safety which are themselves above your own honor and safety. At least, as far as I'm concerned. That's all.
quote:
.eno now ehs ,eno tsol ehs :si tcaF ."dab denrut ti tub doog dednetni" yeht esuaceb enoemos ot evigrof t'nac I ;ti htiw od ot gnihton sah noitnetni reH

.erom neve noissapmoc sevresed erus suht dna hguoht anasA naht erom tsol anuuY taht eugra t'now I .)emag siht ni sa LR ni ysae sa ton s'taht( meht tuoba niatrec eb nac yllaer I fi yllaicepse ,emoctuo eht naht snoitnetni tuoba erom erac I ,yllautcA ?"tsrif ta evah ot tnaw t'ndid ehs eno now ehs ,flesreh naht tuoba erom derac ehs eno tsol ehs" : ecnetnes tsal ruoy etelpmoc I yaM

quote:
.yrots siht fo htgnerts eht fo eno osla si tahT

.detnarg rof ekat t'nac uoy ytilauq a llits s'ti ,semag-ojuohsib ni nonemonehp tneuqerf a si siht elihW .meht htiw sreffus dna meht tuoba serac reyalp eht taht yaw a nettirw era yrots eht dna sretcarahc eht ,oslA .deergA

quote:
*sighs*
Apparently, you and I weren't raised with the same conception of honor.

That's very likely. However, I can admit that your concept of honor is more pure than mine. But honestly, I am not sure if I could survive if I would share it because it could and most likely would be used against me.
quote:
.erom neve noissapmoc sevresed erus suht dna hguoht anasA naht erom tsol anuuY taht eugra t'now I .)emag siht ni sa LR ni ysae sa ton s'taht( meht tuoba niatrec eb nac yllaer I fi yllaicepse ,emoctuo eht naht snoitnetni tuoba erom erac I ,yllautcA ?\"tsrif ta evah ot tnaw t'ndid ehs eno now ehs ,flesreh naht tuoba erom derac ehs eno tsol ehs\" : ecnetnes tsal ruoy etelpmoc I yaM
I only care for what is/was done. If good is done, even for (failed) bad purpose or from ill intention, I'll thank it. If bad is done, even for (failed) good purpose or from good intention, I'll condemn it.
quote:
.detnarg rof ekat t'nac uoy ytilauq a llits s'ti ,semag-ojuohsib ni nonemonehp tneuqerf a si siht elihW .meht htiw sreffus dna meht tuoba serac reyalp eht taht yaw a nettirw era yrots eht dna sretcarahc eht ,oslA .deergA
NekoNeko has this for them: their writer is very good, not only to find a storyline, but also in the he tells the story. Also, they had the brilliant idea to have the reader play also the role of the girl and get her POV (their now trademark). It was this combination which turn me into one of their fans... since Mizuiro. [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
"What is love if not painful and tragic? It's just boring."
- Elaine Barlow -

This game GinIro is looking thoroughly intriguing from you guys’ discussion. (Even avoiding reading the spoily-reversed bits, which is quite an act of will )

So, going back to the original topic of English translation (because bokmeow told me off for that in another thread ) :

Just how bad is the Engrish? In particular, for someone with minimal written Japanese like myself, how much would it impair the story? Is it incomprehensible, painful, unfortunate, or copable with?

Because I thought I saw the game for sale at Himeya in the past, although having just searched I can’t find it now, I suspect I’m just missing something obvious.

[This message has been edited by chronoluminaire (edited 09-09-2003).]

quote:
Originally posted by chronoluminaire:
Just *how* bad is the Engrish? In particular, for someone with minimal written Japanese like myself, how much would it impair the story? Is it incomprehensible, painful, unfortunate, or copable with?

Painful at least. Imagine a pure babelfish-translation, or try tu read the descriptions of the more recently relesed games at himeya to get the picture.

quote:
Because I thought I saw the game for sale at Himeya in the past, although having just searched I can't find it now, I suspect I'm just missing something obvious.

Well, I got it from Himeya, but that was about two years ago. In the meantime, it was marked "sold out" for one year until it was finally removed from the list...

quote:
This game GinIro is looking thoroughly intriguing from you guys' discussion. (Even avoiding reading the spoily-reversed bits, which is quite an act of will [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] )
It was acclaimed as a brilliant work by the bishoujo gamers IIRC, and everyone I know who played to it concurred. Of course, you have to like those kind of stories (i.e. if you're only into happy stories, you'll probably hate this game... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] )
quote:
Just *how* bad is the Engrish? In particular, for someone with minimal written Japanese like myself, how much would it impair the story? Is it incomprehensible, painful, unfortunate, or copable with?
I found it awful, but understandable. Most of the storytelling art of the original Japanese (i.e. it's very well written) is lost in the translation, but you can understand the plots enough to enjoy the game... I think. Most regrettable losses are:
    [*]the non-translation of the chapters' titles (inside each story), which is quite a loss IMHO in the first story.[*]one line is NOT translated in the first game. Alas, it's the most important line of all, because it's the answer to the most important question of the story.
    [*]the "ijimerarekko" mistranslation in the 2nd story.[/LIST]But then, you can ask here or in the ren'ai ML if you want an axact translation for one sentence or two...
    quote:
    Because I thought I saw the game for sale at Himeya in the past, although having just searched I can't find it now, I suspect I'm just missing something obvious.
    It was answered somewhere in this thread: basically, Gin'iro is OOP, was rereleased as a DVD and went OOP once again, and IMHO, there's a very very very low chance it will be released once again, so your best chance is YAJ. It's hard to find, though, and may be expensive, because it's
      [*]old.[*]famous.[*]and sold at very high price in the past (i.e. people know it's worth a lot)[/LIST]

quote:
It was acclaimed as a brilliant work by the bishoujo gamers IIRC, and everyone I know who played to it concurred. Of course, you have to like those kind of stories (i.e. if you're only into happy stories, you'll probably hate this game... [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] )

Coo, right. "The bishoujo gamers" meaning "the bishoujo gamers who can understand Japanese", I assume?

As for happy or not, I like a balance. I got Kana because I was told it was a good story and definitely not fluffyhappy, and certainly didn't regret buying it [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

quote:
It was answered somewhere in this thread: basically, Gin'iro is OOP, was rereleased as a DVD and went OOP once again, and IMHO, there's a very very very low chance it will be released once again, so your best chance is YAJ. It's hard to find, though, and may be expensive, because it's
  • old.
  • famous.
  • and sold at very high price in the past (i.e. people know it's worth a lot)[/LIST]

Ah, right. I misunderstood that section of discussion, I thought I might still find it to buy somewhere. Oh well, that renders the understandability rather irrelevant then [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

And as for YAJ, I've seen YAJ mentioned a couple of times before, and done a search on this forum and on Google, but can't find what that's short for or where to find it. Could someone tell me what that is (starting a new thread if appropriate)?

quote:
"The bishoujo gamers" meaning "the bishoujo gamers who can understand Japanese", I assume?
[img]http://www.salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Schuechtern/sch074.gif[/img] Errrrr, yeah. Japanese bishoujo gamers on Japanese BBS, even.
quote:
And as for YAJ, I've seen YAJ mentioned a couple of times before, and done a search on this forum and on Google, but can't find what that's short for or where to find it. Could someone tell me what that is (starting a new thread if appropriate)?
[img]http://www.salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Schuechtern/sch074.gif[/img] [img]http://www.salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Schuechtern/sch074.gif[/img] [img]http://www.salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Schuechtern/sch074.gif[/img] "YAJ" = "Yahoo Aunction Japan".

[This message has been edited by olf_le_fol (edited 09-09-2003).]

Whence all the sweatdrops, good sir Olf? If they’re at my failing to be aware of such newbie topics, please humour my humble attempts to join thy good self in the ranks of ren’ai gourmandise… and recall thou wert once a newbie thyself… as I seem to recall you claiming quite recently

quote:
Whence all the sweatdrops, good sir Olf? If they're at my failing to be aware of such newbie topics, please humour my humble attempts to join thy good self in the ranks of ren'ai gourmandise...
Doh! So much for me!! Sorry, chronolum, but, yeah, the first sweatdrop is because I don't know well the English bishoujo gamer world, so I wouldn't be talking about it. And the second is because it was obvious to me.
quote:
and recall thou wert once a newbie thyself... as I seem to recall you claiming quite recently [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
I am a complete n00b as far as bishoujo games are concerned. I'm just not as far as Usenet is concerned.
quote:
and recall thou wert once a newbie thyself... as I seem to recall you claiming quite recently [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://princess.cybrmall.net/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Well, you see, olf is a phenomenon, because if you talk to him, you never know who of them will answer. As far as I know, there are at least 4 olfs that can reply to your questions:

• olf_le_dragon who is quite knowledgeable and has to most bishoujo-related question a correct answer.
  • olf_le_mex who wears a poncho and shoots at you
  • olf_le_n00b who is a real newbie, just like us
  • olf_le_loli who only exists in the minds of a certain group
    [/LIST]

Apparently, you got the wrong number with your question...