Eroge that had what you want: but really didn't

Ever get an eroge that you thought was gonna have a girl you wanted, or be the kind of story you expected it to be, but then turned out that it did not?

For example, I recently ran into another such encounter with Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru 2

Behold! You Kashiwagi! How my heart sings with joy!

Is she not a vision of perfection? So moe! That hair! The hidden eye!

[color=red]I MUST HAVE HER!!![/color] :twisted:

Except… you can’t… she’s not winnable. She’s not loved. :frowning:

I was lied to! I was denied! :evil:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don’t get me started on Clannad. :expressionless:

Use fan power? It’s not rare an omake contains routes for secondary characters who are popular enough…

Hmm, I find non-captureable characters are only a problem with stories where there’s no strong reason to have an ending with one character over another. Generally, if there’s a greater story behind the character interactions, and I think about why the writer structured the scenario in a given way, then I can usually understand the reasons behind their choices + assess the game in that light. I think stories are really a different kettle of fish, as eroges like Subarashiki Hibi and Saihate no IMA are intentionally structured with that in mind, and a lot of other eroges exhibit less radical shifts in genre, the most common perhaps being comical → serious?

I guess the most obvious example I’ve come across is Ashita no Kimi to Au Tame ni - no Nanami route (although there’s one in the fandisc). Nanami is the game’s best character, appears in most scenes in the common route, as she’s in the same class/immediate circle of friends/club/part-time job as the protagonist. She has a few CGs of her own, and on one of the routes, after a ‘date’ with her, she confesses to you and you’re forced to turn her down in preference to another heroine. Granted, Asukimi does have an underlying story, and a main heroine (Asuka) but when there’s a (imo not terribly well executed) route with Mai, who Shuuji (and Asuka) had never met in the past, there’s no justification for the missing Nanami route. From what I understand, this is just standard operating procedure for Purple Software though :stuck_out_tongue:

Does my crushing disappointment with sono hanabira once it was finally translated count? :slight_smile:

Such pretty pictures! Such boring writing!

Honestly the only thing that I can really call surprising is how much I enjoyed ??? .

It’s a twinless oppai game with a token loli thrown in, so Your Mileage May Vary.

Getchu-linkage for effect, obv NSFW, http://cl3.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=199881

Bought it for ~2600 ish off DLsite, expecting nothing but the most basic sex romp, and got one of the best deals ever. Went into buying it thinking it was a Sagara Family-esque game, what with the main character moving into an inn filled with a widow and her nubile daughters, with sister mikos and a college student thrown in for spice…kinda like a true ero Love Hina. Totally shocked once I started moving through the routes to be honest. Very little common route to get through, and the routes themselves range from working as a waiter to demon slaying. I mean, getting onto each route is easy as hell as it was just your basic click the girl you want to wind up with, but once you were on a specific route you had to complete different mini-games to progress.

Honestly, the only things that were disappointing were the different text/same CG scenes (there were a few of these per route), and the rushed pace of 2 of the characters routes.

I like ?? (hypnotism) and I thought Minami-kara no Tegami would be a ?? eroge. It was not, not really. One route had (some) ?? to it, but the protagonist didn’t put it in place and he didn’t really make use of it for anything interesting. The other route didn’t have any at all and pretty much deteriorated into a boring blackmail chikan game. Saaad

Next, in terms of missing heroines, Eien no Owari ni gave me a rude shock. There’s only 4 voiced characters in the games, all of them girls. At most of the branching points there are 4 options, almost like one for each heroine, right? WRONG. The game has three heroines. There was no indication of this, none. Worst, she was my favourite heroine and as a result I was saving her route for LAST… yes, that kind of sucked!

EDIT: narg, it’s probably a good thing you didn’t play kourin no machi

I was kinda hoping there would have been a secret route for either Aya or Antoinette in YMK.

All the time…

I’m still irritated that there were no “happy ending” choices if you chose to shag the youngest sister in Three Sister’s Story.

She was an infinitely more interesting character than the middle sister.

I knew that would be coming up. Next up: someone wishing they could have gotten Nono in Princess Waltz.

No twincest route in Figures of Happiness

That would be me.

Speaking of Princess Waltz. Take a look at any picture of Shizuka. Doesn’t she look like the perfect fit for the tsundere/kuudere-oujo type girl? Finding out she’s the caring oneesan type was such a let-down… :frowning:

No twincest in Tsukihime (yea there is Kagetsu Tohya, but that was all a dream sequence.

You didn’t mention Sacchin. Isn’t it sad? :wink:

Someone is going to burn in Hell, for not letting that hottie be winnable.

Actually, I’ve been running into more and more, “one eye covered with hair” girls, that aren’t winnable. They’re popular as a support, but not as leads.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I used to be sort of excited at the idea of a Tsukihime remake, but after the announcements about Mahou Tsukai no Yoru being unvoiced and such I decided that I would only get the Tsukihime remake if it is fully voiced.

The thing about the addition of a route for Satsuki is that, well, I think TYPE-MOON is only (re)adding the route because there was fan demand for it. Not that I blame them for doing that, but I think that when the time came, they chose Satsuki’s route to be chopped for a reason.

Satsuki having a route in the remake does not sell it for me.

Now, here’s the thing, I’m not one of those ‘if something doesn’t have voices I don’t want to play it’ types. I’ve enjoyed countless titles without voices… but, well, I’m not going to want to replay Tsukihime, which was very long anyway, if all they’re doing is shoving in a Satsuki route and updating the graphics and music! I want it to be a different experience, and yes, Tsukihime with voices would be a very different experience. I’d like to see the script rewritten too, though.

I was going for the twincest item at that moment.

Well supposably they’ll be doing other basic stuff. You know, updating scenes, better graphics, etc. I doubt they will be redoing KT though.

It really depends on how much they add beyond the Satsuki route. Since they seem to be adding content based on what the fans want that it may be they’re adding other content (and keeping a lid on it to release in a timely fashion), so I’m still hopeful for twincest in the remake, in addition to the Sacchin.

X-Change Alternative. The female twin. Sorely disappointed that she was not a winnable character.

Late at night, will think of more examples in the morning.

Sure, in almost every game there is one; sign me up for YMK and Princess Waltz as well.

What’s worse is when they are winnable, but change their look to be more “appealing” / less shy.

For instance, the only game I own with that particular fetish is Sim??? and, well, Wakaba uncovers her eye when you start her route. Kinda sad honestly, as she looked much better prior to her makeover. For effect ;

http://cl3.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=433145&gc=gc

Speaking of the unwinnable-helmet-hair-characters thing…

guess who won’t be winnable in the upcoming ??? =P