Finally

Thank you for that informaiton Unicorn, it actually sounds like a very interesting game and yet another I am waiting someday to see translated. It seems to be one that is on one of the lists here I think, at least it is still in the Jast catalogue.

It also does not seem to sound like a dark game, just a hard game?

This quesiton seems to be one that for me at least is becoming standard about games after parts of Jewel Knights and Gibo.

I hear you… I mostly enjoyed JKC, but there were a couple of spots that kind of turned my stomache. And I’m not sure that I even want to bother getting Gibo… it just seems too “dark” (to use everybody else’s word). I don’t mind depressing, but dark is different…

I am not even sure about Slave Pageant yet it does not seem as dark as the others from what has been said about it and if I remember something I read in the archives about Doushin there was a question not answered about it having some dark endings but not being overall dark as it had some “very” happy endings.

Oh well, not to open another can of worms since there are two long awaited games to soon come out, but is this one being done by Peach Princess, or JAST, does anyone know?

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-12-2004).]

I got the impression, though, that Doushin was still only available in Japanese…

It is, but if you get a JAST Catalogue it shows it as 2003-2004 which I know is not going to happen, but I assume it is still on the to translate list for sometime in the, hopefully near, future.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-12-2004).]

Well, something to look for, then…

quote:
Originally posted by SCDawg:
It also does not seem to sound like a dark game, just a hard game?

There are paths in Doushin that are dark.
actually, there is one dark ending that certainly surpasses the darkest ending of Gibo.

* Minor general scenario spoiler
The scenario where you can at most easily evade the darker passages is Maki's scenario (the second sister). Her life at college is mostly happy and easygoing.
It is absolutely impossible to avoid the dark side in Ryoko's scenario (the eldest) sister, because it appears that in the company where she works at, sexual harassment is sort of a sport among the male coworkers as well as the superiors. I also still have no clue how she is supposed to have a best ending, but I know there is one because I have the walkthrough, I just refuse to use it.
In the case of Miho (the youngest sister), it depends a lot on your choices what will happen and what won't. Both extremes are possible here.
* End of minor general scenario spoiler

... and if I go here more into more detail, I'll certainly exceed the range of "minor spoilers" as I announced before. If you want to know more, feel free to ask and I am going to reply in backwards typed paragraphs then.

I already wanted to hint with "However, you'd better not expect a simple and happy story" that there is a certain amount of darkness in this game's story too.

Sorry, but for games without brutish passages, I suggest you'd better turn to "Trabulance", "Sekilala" and "Angel Smile"...
So far, I only know of one CROWD-game that doesn't even have an ounce of brutishness, and that's a very exceptional game even in their ranks: Brave Soul.
I still have hope for Miss You, though. I have not yet really played it and the story premises don't necessarily lead to that. But we'll see...

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 07-13-2004).]

I thank you again for this information and the idea about the story.

It is not so much partly dark stories or brutish passages or dark aspects to stories that bother me as games which have such themes dominate within them. Until Jewel Knights and then Gibo the trend seemed to be games that might have dark themes within, such as XC2, but still have very a majority of consensual non dark themes and sex scenes.

MINOR PLOT SPOILERS

Then with Jewel Knights in which most of the sex is forced and basically rape, through an jackass of main character and Gibo in which there is sort of brainwashing and a form of psychological torture, once again by a jackass of a main character, going on in a way that allows the sex scenes to me at least many times seem forced if not psychically, psychologically, the trend seemed to change. I was not sure if this is a “new” trend in the games they were bringing over for translation or if it was just that in at least the two out of the three newest released games, that I have played parts of, such themes and brutish passages seemed to begin to dominate the plot lines, even if it was a possible redeemable ending or gradual change of the main characters attitude and actions toward the end of the game, the overall game still seemed dark and left a bad taste at times. Even the “good endings” in Gibo left a bad taste and those in Jewel Knights did not change my dislike for the main character expect for one ending in which the roles are sort of reversed, the Jewel Amethyst ending.

So within Doushin since you have indicated that there are in fact, at least some good or at the very least well done redeemable endings, then this is not a game that seems like one I would consider, based on what you have said, to be as dark as the others mentioned.

END OF MINOR PLOT SPOILERS

Once more I thank you for the information you have provided. It does sound like another to add to the long term list, for whenever it might be released in English, hopefully sometime before XC3 if Peach Princess is the one working on this game.

[This message has been edited by SCDawg (edited 07-13-2004).]